Really good little show, big into the farce style humour with an excellent cast too (as noted). The setup is pretty clever too as each episode is a different event requiring catering which allows for lots of different situations (and a host of excellently casted guest stars)

If you like Veronica Mars it's an extra recommendation, it's made by the same guy and whilst it doesn't share much in terms of writing style or suchlike (so if you didn't like Veronica Mars then no worries) he definitely hit up anyone he knew to be in it. There's a huge crossover of actors. Also Keith Mars' penis.

Is anyone watching American Gods and still enjoying it? I think it must be on it's 3rd or 4th season now and it has dawned on me today that I am basically hate watching it now.

On paper I love the concept, I want to enjoy it and teaming up Al Swearengen with Ryan Naysmith is something of a Dream Team for me. It looks quite pretty and might have one of the best title sequences out there but it just doesn't go anywhere. I've never read any Neil Gaiman and at 48 I think that ship has sailed but I wonder how this stacks up against the books or comics? Are we anywhere near the end of it? When will they stop driving around America and have this war the keep promising me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just finished watching the full run of Frasier over several months. Thoroughly enjoyable right to the last episode and I don't mind admitting that it got me a little choked up at the end.

I've heard people say that getting Niles & Daphne together caused the show to decline but I have to disagree. The show was not quite as consistent in the last couple seasons and fell into a few of the common traps of long running sitcoms - running out of ideas for some characters, overly contrived ways of keeping characters confined to their role, repeating earlier ideas.

But overall the highs are still very high, and I thought they executed the Niles and Daphne union well and it actually really helped in creating new dynamics for the writers to mine for comedy.

Scrambled eggs all over my face, what is a boy to do...

I've started on The US Office now, which I've only ever watched the odd episode of. Didn't love it at the start I have to say, but the more it begins to diverge from the original the better it gets. Think it's doing enough for me to stick with it for now, anyway.

Has anyone watched big little lies? It’s fucking wild. It has Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley as mums in a posh California beach town with a mystery death running through the narrative and it’s fucking shit. It’s like a pedigree version of one of those awful ITV upstart soaps. It’s absolutely crazy how you’ve got these three great actresses plus Laura Dern, Zoe Kravitz, Adam Scott, Eric Northman and Young Sheldon with such shonky writing. Nicole Kidman gets at least a nip out every episode for some reason and she’s literally the only one, no other titties or dingalings on show. The mad thing is the first series is only seven episodes long and it was actually a pretty easy watch. I was ready to knock it on the head but then Meryl Streep shows up in the second series! What the fuck is going on?

Also the opening credits are so so so shit I can’t stop thinking about them.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It has Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley as mums in a posh California beach town with a mystery death running through the narrative

45 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

it’s fucking shit

What on earth were you expecting?!

The Little Fires Everywhere opening credits are also shit, which consists of little fires blazing just to remind you it's called Little Fires Everywhere. Must be a Reece Witherspoon + little thing. 

16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What on earth were you expecting?!

The Little Fires Everywhere opening credits are also shit, which consists of little fires blazing just to remind you it's called Little Fires Everywhere. Must be a Reece Witherspoon + little thing. 

At the very least a better version on Desperate Housewives and a glimpse of Skarsgard penis. To tell the truth I watched a bit of Sweet Home Alabama on Sunday and it snowballed from there.

• Moderators
On 3/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

I've started on The US Office now, which I've only ever watched the odd episode of. Didn't love it at the start I have to say, but the more it begins to diverge from the original the better it gets. Think it's doing enough for me to stick with it for now, anyway.

Halfway through series 2 now and really enjoying it a lot more.

• Paid Members

Started watching Ozark a couple of days ago and enjoyed the first couple of episodes. I really like Jason Bateman even though I feel like I've never seen him in much that's good.

The Twilight Zone and Parks and Recreation continue to be consistently good - into the fifth series of the latter now.

9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Started watching Ozark a couple of days ago and enjoyed the first couple of episodes. I really like Jason Bateman even though I feel like I've never seen him in much that's good.

Interested to see what you think of it a few seasons in. For me, a rare case of getting better with every season.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Interested to see what you think of it a few seasons in. For me, a rare case of getting better with every season.

That tends to be the case with most American series though, I find. I wish that wasn't the case though and that they hit the ground running.

Ozark is good enough. It never reaches the highs of great tv like The Soprano’s or even Breaking Bad (the show it’s lazily compared to) but it’s a solid 3-4/5 show. It’s Jason Bateman’s show but Laura Linney ain’t no slouch.

One show I’d probably avoid in the suburbanite goes in to crime sub genre is Your Honor. It’s by no means terrible and has some good moments when Cranston and Stuhlbarg are interacting but it’s mostly a miss for me. Stupid characters who are meant to be so so clever doing the dumbest things and a wasted supporting cast. Stuhlbarg does some great DeNiro gurning in it though.