• Awards Moderator

Just finished watching the first of three episodes of Football’s Darkest Secret on the iPlayer. It looks at the uncovering of the sexual abuse of kids at professional football clubs over a number of decades, those who spoke out and the legal cases that were subsequently raised.

It’s a must watch but absolutely horrendous, so don’t go into it lightly. If you’ve suffered any form of sexual abuse as a child please be warned this will be deeply upsetting, but it may help you draw strength to speak up. There’s a short part towards the end regarding a young lad who texted the BBC when he saw one of the victims speak up which knocked me sideways. The episode covers some abhorrent abuse which made me feel physically sick, but it’s still an important watch.

• Moderators
On 3/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, mim731 said:

It gets significantly better as it goes along. Not elite-level comedy or anything but it gets far less formulaic and bland after a while. 

I don't think I'm going to make it there. I'm about 5 episodes into season 2 and I think I'm going to tap out. The acting is ok but the writing is just way too obvious.

I finished The Office last night and whilst there is a notable dip in the last two series the overall quality is pretty high throughout. Rainn Wilson does all the heavy lifting post Steve Carell and whilst the show suffers a little from other characters getting more spotlight he more than makes up for it. Really impressive how they managed to drag it out whilst keeping it entertaining throughout.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't think I'm going to make it there. I'm about 5 episodes into season 2 and I think I'm going to tap out. The acting is ok but the writing is just way too obvious.

I made it about another season in but have finally thrown in the towel. Glenn and Dina carry it but even their material starts to become paint-by-numbers stuff.  Spoiled for choice these days, I’ve learned not to stick with something shit just for the sake of finishing it.

Edited by stumobir

On 3/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, Perry said:

2 episodes into The Flight Attendant, her conversations with the dead guy acting as her conscious kinda spoils it for me. I don't think even Kaley Cuoco could keep me watching another 6 episodes of this. There seems to be a divided opinion about the show in the reviews.  Anyway a 2nd season has already been ordered. 

It had just enough intrigue for me to power through. If it hadn't been available all at once I probably wouldn't have bothered. Overall it was fine. Absolutely ridiculous but once you get over that it's fairly entertaining. It was a weird balance between the comedy and drama aspects though.

• Paid Members

Watched the first couple of seasons of Snowfall and enjoyed it. It's about the crack epidemic first hitting L.A in the eighties, looking at it from multiple levels, starting out with a young black guy in way over his head selling a rich/white people drug, crossing over with some CIA and cartel shit. It often has a pretty fun tone and has a really likeable cast. I'd take a bullet for Uncle Jerome!

The first three seasons are on iPlayer.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Moderators
On 3/27/2021 at 12:48 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Just finished watching the first of three episodes of Football’s Darkest Secret on the iPlayer. It looks at the uncovering of the sexual abuse of kids at professional football clubs over a number of decades, those who spoke out and the legal cases that were subsequently raised.

It’s a must watch but absolutely horrendous, so don’t go into it lightly. If you’ve suffered any form of sexual abuse as a child please be warned this will be deeply upsetting, but it may help you draw strength to speak up. There’s a short part towards the end regarding a young lad who texted the BBC when he saw one of the victims speak up which knocked me sideways. The episode covers some abhorrent abuse which made me feel physically sick, but it’s still an important watch.

Ieuan Jones who was a chef at Wrexham used to live next door to me as a family friend and took me alone to Abersoch  for a weekend in 1994. it's amazing just how lucky I was really. When we got back my parents decided it didn't seem right so forbade me from going to his house or anything again. Thank god. A real lucky escape.

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/16264802.former-wrexham-afc-chef-ieuan-jones-convicted-indecently-assaulting-young-boys/

Edited by PowerButchi

On 3/27/2021 at 12:48 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

I was close to tears on a couple of times watching this.  Paul Stewart especially was heartbreaking, the guy is absolutely broken, then torn between not wanting to tell his parents what happened because he knew it would crush them, but having to in order to try and move on with his life somehow.  David White too.  Then that poor lad who got hung out to dry when they originally tried Bob Higgins back in the late 80s, only for the jury to find Higgins not guilty.  Yeah, this was tough.

• Paid Members

It won't mean much to many - and fuck all to most - on here, I'm sure, but after last nights' Unforgotten, I'm absolutely devastated. Devastated. And as a result, those dozy, poxy writers genuinely affected my sleep. 

No need at all for what they did. 

Between that last night, the Big Jack documentary the night before, and with an impending dose of poor Steve Arnott and his grimace tonight, I'm looking forward to First Dates Ireland on Thursday. Words the me of, probably only even one year ago, would have clattered out of my own mouth. 

Speaking of waistcoat Steve there was a cracking Hastings moment on this weeks LoD when he did an eyebrow after asking if Kelly Macdonald would like to disclose the nature of her relationship with the other lady copper.  Sometimes I wonder if Jed Mecurio is a bit Christopher Nolan in so much as he makes clever programs for stupid people but I’d honestly watch 60 minutes of belting Hastings lines every week over most telly.