As with anything, it's all down to what you're looking to get out of it.

Personally I don't scrutinise any show to the point where I get annoyed about plot holes and stuff like that unless they're pretty sloppy and obvious. I'm very much someone that generally goes along for the ride.

For Line of Duty - it has great characters, it has great writing and it does suspense better than the majority of TV shows worldwide.

Most importantly it gets people talking and it has a genuine buzz about it and people enjoy watching it. They're not watching it to pick it apart or moan about it or anything like that. People genuinely enjoy each series and look forward to each episode.

So whether it's really a 'masterpiece' or not comes down to personal perception really. For me there's not many other shows I'll anticipate as much.

• Moderators

What shows subsist on an audience of people who are there just to pick apart and moan? By and large most people want to enjoy what they're watching. That seems like a really nonsensical and defensive point to make.

Everyone has a different threshold for suspension of disbelief, and different triggers that will break their immersion, be it plot holes, shoddy effects, unrealistic dialogue, etc. Whatever.

33 minutes ago, Rule One said:

Jed Mecurio is Vince Russo in disguise

This makes sense seeing that he too is thin skinned to any criticism and called a young journalist at The Guardian "a cunt" because she had the temerity to write about his show in less than flattering terms.

21 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What shows subsist on an audience of people who are there just to pick apart and moan? By and large most people want to enjoy what they're watching. That seems like a really nonsensical and defensive point to make.

Everyone has a different threshold for suspension of disbelief, and different triggers that will break their immersion, be it plot holes, shoddy effects, unrealistic dialogue, etc. Whatever.

Wrestling to a point quite often. A lot of reality shows are full of social media people just watching to moan about stuff. I wouldn't say it's a large portion of the audience obviously as that'd be daft but there's certainly some element to it with a fair amount of 'ironic' watching of some things. Personally I don't get it but I've seen it enough.

Most things I'll give up on if I'm not enjoying them, although admittedly I watched Walking Dead for far too long.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone who watched walking dead past the first series watched it for too long..

I didn't watch it past the first episode and that was too long.

17 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Been watching Tuca and Bertie on Netflix. 

It's a good show!  The comparisons to Bojack are warranted in the balance of comedy to drama and whole surreal world of talking animals thing. The creative designer for bojack created this show and you can tell she got to really dig in and realise her vision more with this; the world feels a lot more fleshed out.

Also, The fact that the leads aren't awful cunts I struggle to sympathise with gives this the edge over Bojack for me even though I'd say that Bojack is funnier when it's being funny (and I did thoroughly enjoy Bojack to the end).

The music is really good too. Netflix cancelled the show after one season, but I understand adult swim has picked out up for a second.

My friend shown me this in the summer when I wasn't doing too great and I breezed through all 10 episodes. Massively recommend it, was really enjoyable and I haven't seen Bojack (I know). But yeah, it's really funny and just a good watch. 

• Paid Members

I keep meaning to give Tuca & Bertie a watch as I've heard good things about it from friends. 

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

This isn't coming from a 'how can you not have seen this show?' place - but I'd have thought Bojack would be very specifically your jam.

I'm really weird about getting round to watching stuff. If people keep banging on at me to deffo watch something I weirdly refuse it more. Bojack is that, I'm sure it's probably very good but I have no motivation to go through it at the moment. I don't know why either, the mind is a minefield.

Edited by Chili
spelling

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Still the reason I never watched Mallrats. Pretty sure that was a good decision though.

I can't figure it out. Not Mallrats but the that mental process. I was about two years behind everyone on Breaking Bad. I think I just want to watch stuff at a pace I'd like. It's why I won't watch Line of Duty, or whatever that Bodyguard drama BBC had on. Everyone going on about in your own sort of social echo chamber online makes me avoid and resent them. I dunno, it's been a weird 16 months.

Tuca and Bertie was picked up for a second series by the way, looking forward to that whenever it's out.