DavidB6937 Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 On 5/11/2021 at 1:21 AM, chokeout said: Just ended up watching Carry on Glamping. A show where Johnny Vegas tries to set up a glamping site in Yorkshire with restored old vehicles. It's up there with Whitehouse and Mortimer in the 'this really shouldn't be this touching and entertaining' stakes but it was honestly fantastic and without spoilers had my missus in tears in the final episode. Had zero interest in this til I read your comment. Watched it all yesterday. Blubbed like a fucking baby at the end. Bloody hell. What a surprising show. Quote
Perry Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 58 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said: The Americans have remade This Country Daisy was talking about it earlier this year, apparently Fox paid her a shit load to allow them to remake the show. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted May 19, 2021 Moderators Posted May 19, 2021 I haven't seen This Country but Sean Williams Scott has piqued my interest. Quote
Perry Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said: I haven't seen This Country Get yourself on the iPlayer, the box set is still available. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 19, 2021 Members Posted May 19, 2021 5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: I haven't seen This Country but Sean Williams Scott has piqued my interest. There is absolutely zero chance that they can fully replicate the show (it relies too heavily on a British sense of humour/references) but then people thought the same about The Office and look how successful and fantastic that was. The universal aspect of "young people trapped in 'deadbeat' small town and keen to get out" will be what drives it. Quote
Factotum Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 Its weird that US remakes are still a thing. With Netflix / Amazon etc people watch everything now. So many British shows get seen in the US and are successful, same with shows over here we would never usually see. Its like when they try to remake Schandinavian shows etc and they flop in the US as everyone is watching the original! The Office seemed like the last remake that made sense given that this was pre-streaming and it had a cult following, but hell they even tried to remake the BAKE OFF and the Americans hated it. Anyway good for the two getting paid a shit load that if does well they'll earn a fortune, and if flops they'll have had a nice pay day and nobody will remember it. Sean William-Scott needs to make a comeback. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted May 19, 2021 Moderators Posted May 19, 2021 (edited) 16 minutes ago, Factotum said: Its weird that US remakes are still a thing. With Netflix / Amazon etc people watch everything now. So many British shows get seen in the US and are successful, same with shows over here we would never usually see. Its like when they try to remake Schandinavian shows etc and they flop in the US as everyone is watching the original! The Office seemed like the last remake that made sense given that this was pre-streaming and it had a cult following, but hell they even tried to remake the BAKE OFF and the Americans hated it. I don't have enough information to know if the data supports this theory, but it's interesting. Talking about bake off is completely irrelevant though. If they failed to capture the charm of bake off then that's on them and why they failed, rather than it being s problem with the concept. Reality shows and game shows are absolutely fair game for multiple national versions and do very well for it. It's very different for scripted shows. Edited May 19, 2021 by Chest Rockwell Quote
wordsfromlee Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 1 hour ago, Perry said: Daisy was talking about it earlier this year, apparently Fox paid her a shit load to allow them to remake the show. Really? I read in an interview with her last year that they got paid four grand each for the US remake. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted May 19, 2021 Paid Members Posted May 19, 2021 Speaking of remakes, apparently Mayim Bialik is in a US remake of Blossom called Call Me Kat. I really should have posted it in the Things you know will be shit thread, but it just got renewed for season 2. Quote
Perry Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 21 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said: Really? I read in an interview with her last year that they got paid four grand each for the US remake. That's not what she said on The Jonathan Ross show a few weeks ago. £4,000 sounds like what the BBC probably paid them at the start. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted May 19, 2021 Paid Members Posted May 19, 2021 (edited) 2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said: The Americans have remade This Country I thought I saw the killer from Too Many Cooks in a crowd shot. Just looked him up on IMDB. He's playing Len! As remakes go this doesn't look too bad and the casting is better then expected. Edited May 19, 2021 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted May 19, 2021 Awards Moderator Posted May 19, 2021 (edited) I watched all of This Country for the first time the other week. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, but am puzzled as to what an American version will be like. Based on that trailer, I am ... still very much not sure. Edited May 19, 2021 by HarmonicGenerator Quote
wordsfromlee Posted May 19, 2021 Posted May 19, 2021 45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: Speaking of remakes, apparently Mayim Bialik is in a US remake of Blossom called Call Me Kat. I really should have posted it in the Things you know will be shit thread, but it just got renewed for season 2. It’s a remake of Miranda, so still as shit Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted May 19, 2021 Moderators Posted May 19, 2021 1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said: Speaking of remakes, apparently Mayim Bialik is in a US remake of Blossom called Call Me Kat. I really should have posted it in the Things you know will be shit thread, but it just got renewed for season 2. I'm still very sure it'll be shit. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted May 19, 2021 Paid Members Posted May 19, 2021 1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said: It’s a remake of Miranda, so still as shit Thank you. I was trying to work out how Mayim Bialik was in a US remake of her own US show. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.