3 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Yes.  Can’t remember the name, but I think it was on BBC2 like the show for the gay community they had on around the same time that was highly complained about due to, well, gays.

“I thought it was the British Broadcasting Corporation, not the Black Broadcasting Corporation or the Bummers Broadcasting Corporation”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without meaning to sound like the awful Peter Kay, does anyone remember a black magazine show that was on in the early to mid 90s? 

Disappointed. I thought (hoped) you were on about Baaadaasss TV with Ice T off Channel 4 from that blurb as opposed to something else. 

Baaadass TV was ace. 

Edited by PowerButchi

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without meaning to sound like the awful Peter Kay, does anyone remember a black magazine show that was on in the early to mid 90s? The host was a comedian who acted and was dressed like an old guy. There was a dating segment on there too where they’d call out audience members names to take part and a hype guy would go into the audience to get them while giving them a hip hop type name. For instance a Carl McCoy would be called and he’d be all like “Yo I’m looking for Da Real McCoy, get yoself down here”

This is from your description and a very vague memory, I think either 291 Club or Get Up, Stand Up.

I read an excellent article recently about black comedy in the 90s, I'll see if I can find it for you.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, DavidB6937 said:

Prisoner - haven't seen it all the way through in years. Still as batshit crazy as I remember.

I've signed up to the few britbox trial to watch Box of Delights over Christmas so I don't have to plug the DVD player in, I'd had a look round and but seen anything else to watch, u didn't realise the Prisoner was on there, that's excellent news I'll blitz them on my days off work. I haven't seen it in years, bloody love it, cheers for the heads up

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Yes.  Can’t remember the name, but I think it was on BBC2 like the show for the gay community they had on around the same time that was highly complained about due to, well, gays.

Gaytime TV. Which in Rhosymedre Junior School in about 1995 turned into calling classmates "The host of Gaytime TV" or the simple but brilliant "Mr Gaytime TV". 

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Wasn't it called The Real McCoy?

No, that was a sketch show but saying that it could’ve been as they all look the same. 

2 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Gaytime TV. Which in Rhosymedre Junior School in about 1995 turned into calling classmates "The host of Gaytime TV" or the simple but brilliant "Mr Gaytime TV". 

Was Rob Puff a pupil?

44 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I've signed up to the few britbox trial to watch Box of Delights over Christmas so I don't have to plug the DVD player in, I'd had a look round and but seen anything else to watch, u didn't realise the Prisoner was on there, that's excellent news I'll blitz them on my days off work. I haven't seen it in years, bloody love it, cheers for the heads up

Neither did I til I was looking around to be honest. Box of Delights is on my list too!

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without meaning to sound like the awful Peter Kay, does anyone remember a black magazine show that was on in the early to mid 90s? The host was a comedian who acted and was dressed like an old guy. There was a dating segment on there too where they’d call out audience members names to take part and a hype guy would go into the audience to get them while giving them a hip hop type name. For instance a Carl McCoy would be called and he’d be all like “Yo I’m looking for Da Real McCoy, get yoself down here”

It was “The A Force” and Roy Diamond was the host. I can sleep now (lol j/k like my mind will let me sleep)

9 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

The only A Force is Audley Harrison. One of the Four Horsemen of British heavyweight boxing when it was at its peak. 

Of course. It was the black that confused me. The show I was on about was called “Desmonds”.