• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It's been poor. Richard Herring is easily one of the worst contestants ever, he's so dull. Johnny Vegas is ok, same with Daisy May Cooper but Katherine Parkinson has been disappointing. Agree with you on Mawaan, he's the highlight.

The sooner Richard Ayoade's schedule allows him to appear as a constant, the better.

Will Ayoade ever do it? I've wondered this for years if he really wants to lose some of the aura that he has around his carefree, weird character, I think him being genuinely annoyed by a task and getting angry would be horrific for him as someone who's spent years trying to not be anything other than what he's wanted to present. 

I say this because the series with James Acaster made me go from finding him hilarious and witty to realising he's actually a bit of a bawbag and easily irritated when things aren't how he wants them. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Will Ayoade ever do it?

Yeah course he will. He still does the quiz of the year shows and he's a Channel 4 poster boy. He agreed to it a couple of years ago but then his Travel Man schedule stopped him.

• Awards Moderator

I'd rate this current Taskmaster over series 8 (Iain Stirling, Joe Thomas, Lou Sanders, Paul Sinha and Sian Gibson); that really lacked fun and pizazz. I think this series is pretty good with a few outstanding tasks (feed watermelon and make a cocktail) and some generally best-ever moments ("I am not a crook! I am not a crook!") but the lack of live audience has really hurt it. A lot of the moments where Alex says something surreal or Greg starts sniping would usually be met by giggles which help it bubble along. But there's almost no audible feedback. It's even more noticeable if you watch the outtakes on YouTube where there's zero response (as it was never shown).

Richard Herring is a massive disappointment though. He's so determined to win that he picks the most boring and obvious response, yet doesn't appear to be having fun at all.

Just now, Onyx2 said:

I'd rate this current Taskmaster over series 8 (Iain Stirling, Joe Thomas, Lou Sanders, Paul Sinha and Sian Gibson); that really lacked fun and pizazz.

Paul Sinha was probably the biggest disappointment, in terms of a contestant, the show's had for me.  Lou Sanders was the only saving grace for that series;  Iain Stirling was an annoying try-hard, Joe Thomas and Sian Gibson were both dull and then there was Paul.  I've not caught much of the current series, I do wish they'd ban the obligatory "comedy" outfit that some of the contestants feels that they have to wear.

Anyway, I've started to watch Desmonds on All4 and it is as funny as what I remember.  Some wonderfully written characters (Desmond, Porkpie, Shirley, Susu, Lee, Matthew, from the Gambia) and plenty of laugh out loud lines.  I didn't realize that it was Norman Beaton's passing that led to the series finishing (and being replaced by a spin-off, Porkpie).

2 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Paul Sinha was probably the biggest disappointment, in terms of a contestant, the show's had for me. 

Struggling through it with undiagnosed Parkinson's Disease can't have helped to be fair. Agree with your assessment of the rest of them.

Strangely, although Desmonds passed me by at the time, I was wondering if it was on All4 yesterday. Thanks for your comments, I'll give it a go.

1 hour ago, Just Some Guy said:

Yes, Herring really wants to win. It seems impossible to balance out the need to be competitive and entertaining.

The rest of the team I've found great TBH.

Daisy-May's self confidence, Katherine's obliviousness, Johnny's strangeness and Mawaan's sweetness give you a reason to cheer them all on.

I'm also enjoying it. It ain't The Sopranos guys.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

I'm also enjoying it. It ain't The Sopranos guys.

Paulie Walnuts as a contestant. I like the way you're thinking.

"Dump a Russian gangster in the Pine Barrens. You have 24 hours."

Edited by Onyx2

9 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

So, the Christmas Radio Times is out. as expected I shall only be watching ITV3 on Xmas Day, other than a quick jump to BBC2 for Morecambe and Wise. No Bond film again this year either, fucks sakes.

With the passing of Sean this year I thought ITV would've went back to tradition and aired a classic Bond movie on Christmas Day. Instead there's a pre recorded episode of This Morning and more cooking shite with James Martin taking up around 5 hours combined.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I'd rate this current Taskmaster over series 8 (Iain Stirling, Joe Thomas, Lou Sanders, Paul Sinha and Sian Gibson); that really lacked fun and pizazz. I think this series is pretty good with a few outstanding tasks (feed watermelon and make a cocktail) and some generally best-ever moments ("I am not a crook! I am not a crook!") but the lack of live audience has really hurt it. A lot of the moments where Alex says something surreal or Greg starts sniping would usually be met by giggles which help it bubble along. But there's almost no audible feedback. It's even more noticeable if you watch the outtakes on YouTube where there's zero response (as it was never shown).

Richard Herring is a massive disappointment though. He's so determined to win that he picks the most boring and obvious response, yet doesn't appear to be having fun at all.

A heavily pregnant Daisy May Cooper screaming at Richard Herring is some Taskmaster gold. And as shit as he’s been, the acting role where he played all 5 characters was actually really good. Otherwise, he’s been a let down.

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

Still way better than the series that had Alice Levine and Russell Howard which was just hard work to get through 

BUT that season had possibly the best moment ever, where Alex is made to sit on cake.