Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

https://progresswrestling.com/blogs/news/statement-re-abuse

Progress’ statement where they partly deride what’s happened, partly try to distance themselves from it all by playing the “They’re not contracted to us” card

About as good a statement as they can put out in the middle of all of it. Obviously they're trying to be supportive while covering their own backs, but the most important thing is them not working with people anymore. I hope that list continues to get added to as more information comes out.

51 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

If you don't have a problem with a man in his 30's trying it on with one of his 16 year old trainees, then you need to re-evaluate your own morals here. 'Legal' or not, it's disgusting behaviour and a massive breach of trust. Would you be thinking the same way if it were your daughter or son being advanced upon by their trainer who's double their age?

I’m not saying anyone should be absolved of their sins, I just think it’s important to make the distinction between the perverted creeps and the actual ‘have committed a literal crime’ rapists.

Again, I’m still playing catch-up with these stories so I’m not familiar with every case. This is just my impression from what I’ve seen so far.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I’m not saying anyone should be absolved of their sins, I just think it’s important to make the distinction between the perverted creeps and the actual ‘have committed a literal crime’ rapists.

It's actually not. Because it's the "perverted creeps" who will more than likely go on and commit an actual crime. This isn't just about actual crimes that have been committed, this is about weeding out predatory behaviour in an industry where there are almost no safeguards. Your focus is in completely the wrong place. Everybody knows what the difference is but this sort of debate moves the goalposts and is not helpful.

9 minutes ago, Psygnosis said:

Brian Dixon of All Star Wrestling said to have taken upskirting photos of Vicky Haskins back in 2011.

https://twitter.com/VickyHaskins/status/1273881653031682048?s=20

Firstly I'm not defending anything, I'm disgusted by all of this, but this is where problems can occur.

If you read the story Dixon wasn't the one taking the pictures. He didn't have the camera. It's implied he may have asked for those photos to  be taken (which is equally as despicable) but wasn't the person taking the pics, nor is their evidence he even asked for them.

I'm not excusing this behaviour - but unless we can stick to the facts some of these c**ts will get away with it because of inaccuracies levelled against them.  

31 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

@elisarcabrera What do you think about the Alex Shane allegations? Did you ever hear of this behaviour with him and his pal Lynskey?

This specific story/allegation I was not aware of and no one at the time would have informed me. My wife has been in touch with Sarah and the timeline it occurred was after I had left the company.

the truth is the culture was and had always been toxic. I am not surprised this toxicity is now being exposed. It is long overdue. When MeToo happened in the film industry (where I worked for most of my career) my wife and I agreed it would be only a matter of time before Indy wrestling would have to stand up and acknowledge that there is a problem here and things need to change.  It’s a business that has very few women in positions of power to balance the boys club mentality.  It’s sad and upsetting to read so many stories. If you see my twitter thread (link above) I have put my thoughts down.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Again, I’m still playing catch-up with these stories so I’m not familiar with every case. This is just my impression from what I’ve seen so far.

It sounds like you're viewing this from an "age-gap relationship" point of view, rather than a "young girl taken advantage of by a figure of authority" point of view. 

A bit like the student teachers and actual teachers that shagged students at my school. Yeah, they were 16, but..... you know?

I've been following this topic all day, and have written and deleted a post several times, trying to gather my thoughts, but fucking hell. I used to be involved in UK wrestling in ring at a very minor level. At first, I thought it was a generational thing, and I was just out of touch. It's not, and the fact that this runs so deep and so far back is horrifying and disgusting. I genuinely cannot imagine the thought processes involved where these abusers were able to justify their actions, to either view themselves as above any repercussions or their victims as below their regard as human beings. Either they thought it was fine to treat these women this way, as objects to satisfy their puerile urges, or, more gut-wrenchingly, they knew they would have support if anything came back at them. I'm utterly sick of seeing people regarding and treating other human beings as some kind of inferior subspecies based on race, sex, sexual orientation, whatever. Get some perspective, get some respect, and grow the fuck up.

I hope all the victims see justice done. I hope this action acts as a massive leap forward in stamping out sexism, misogyny and abuse in any walk of life, anywhere in the world. I hope there are firings, court cases, and criminal punishments. I hope careers are torpedoed, and companies closed for good. I hope companies that stay or open start acting like actual businesses, with accounts, insurance, contracts, and background checks, so that everyone is accountable. No handshake deals or booking for favours. No blind eyes. No unpaid labour coz that's "payin' yer dues, kid". And zero tolerance for any unprofessional or illegal behaviour.

This post doesn't go anywhere near far enough and isn't clear enough, so I apologise now if any of my points above come across as misdirected, hysterical, or anything like that. I just had to voice SOMETHING in my head, to allow me some clarity to process. 

I wonder how the likes of WWE will approach this? I mean, if it's a low-level talent on NXT or whatever they'll likely just cut them loose. I may be cynical, but I have no doubt they'll see such instances as an opportunity to push the "we won't stand for such individuals working within our company" line and grab some much-needed PR points.

They lose a talent that is very likely replaceable, so there's no down side.

But what if it's a talent who's worth more to them? Someone they've invested both time and money in? Will they sack them off based on maybe a single accusation dating back a number of years? Or will they look to find a way to navigate around it all? Maybe go down the route of having the talent issue an apology, give it the whole "I was young and stupid, different time in my life, feeling ashamed" schtick before trying to move on?

It'll be interesting to see how they play it out.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

About as good a statement as they can put out in the middle of all of it. Obviously they're trying to be supportive while covering their own backs, but the most important thing is them not working with people anymore. I hope that list continues to get added to as more information comes out.

Their email response to Jimmy Havoc assaulting someone a few years back wasn’t too good though

Not to detract and shit on Progress (is fun though), but they originally titled their statement "The Darkest Timeline" Surprised they didn't put the fucking sadface emoji as well. Twats.

@David Surely they'll have to act on Riddle. That's an allegation of rape, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Enzo was shifted pretty fucking quickly after his one wasn't he?