Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Not sure why, but it feels different this time. Like something might actually change. The amount of wrestlers being outed on Twitter and the outpouring of support for the victims is incredible to see. 

Even bigger names like Scurll, Travis Banks, Devlin and Joey Ryan are being listed.

Hopefully it leads to the whole rotten system collapsing.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm seeing a refreshing lack of dickheads targeting the victims compared to last time (how fucking depressing is it that there's a "last time"?), and a more coordinated effort to provide support for those coming out.

That some of the women involved in spearheading this and coordinating stories are basically in a position of having nothing to lose, in terms of losing bookings or anything, is probably a huge help, too.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That some of the women involved in spearheading this and coordinating stories are basically in a position of having nothing to lose, in terms of losing bookings or anything, is probably a huge help, too.

Yeah, I'm finding the timing of this really interesting. I think you're right that a lot of the victims have nothing to lose right now - can't lose bookings when no companies are running shows.

I also think there's probably victims out there who have had to see their abusers in person at training, or a few times a month at shows etc, and may have felt intimidated to speak up knowing they could run into their abuser that weekend or something. Not knowing when they're gonna see their abusers in person next may give them the strength to speak up now. 

@The Four Horsemen I think you have massively misinterpreted @Jacko's post.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

This is very much what #MeToo is all about - not the individual people and specific offenders, but the absolute pervasiveness of this, and the fact that so many women have had to deal with this.

I can't help but wonder if this is about to move over to the US as well. With some of the stories wrestlers have shared in their shoot videos, there's plenty of stuff in there to go mainstream, and that's just what's in the public domain.

11 minutes ago, The Four Horsemen said:

Did I say that? No.

So your saying because they are a big star that gives them a pass to do what they have "allegedly" done?

No that’s what I’m saying I can see it being cancelled and no didn’t mean because they are a bigger star they should be given a pass but it’s obvious that the bigger stars implicated mean it could be easier for the E to pull the plug 

1 minute ago, Jacko said:

No that’s what I’m saying I can see it being cancelled and no didn’t mean because they are a bigger star they should be given a pass but it’s obvious that the bigger stars implicated mean it could be easier for the E to pull the plug 

Now you have clarified it, all cool!! 

Not surprised by Joey Ryan at all but its not looking good for a lot of people on Twitter, names being chucked out every 5 minutes.