Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

41 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Whilst I hope every that every abuser gets what's coming to them I don't think it's helpful to lump in blokes who once had a consensual relationship with a 16 year old with the others who appear to literally be raping people. Or is it just me? I'm going through Twitter trying to get myself caught up on everything but for every sickening story I read I'm seeing two or three that come off like minor sexual misadventures.

Maybe a bit insensitive but I do see your point.

People arent going to like it but I dont think someone should be labelled a predator and black balled from the industry for asking a 17 year old to go for a drink with him. Did he know her age? How old was he? Out of co text it's literally a guy asking someone to meet for a drink and them saying no. That's it.

Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

The Bubblegum stuff came out years ago if I recall correctly, around the time he issued a non-apology and retired because he'd "lost his passion for wrestling" . I think it was to do with him sending inappropriate messages to another wrestler's not quite/barely over the age of consent daughter. He went to work at McDonald's and set up an onlyfans. 

I’m hoping that because this is closer to home, people will boycott promotions who use predators. I hope this isn’t another I’m cancelling my network subscription after the Ashley Massaro incident. For clarity I’m not comparing the two, more a comment on fickleness. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m hoping that because this is closer to home, people will boycott promotions who use predators. I hope this isn’t another I’m cancelling my network subscription after the Ashley Massaro incident. For clarity I’m not comparing the two, more a comment on fickleness. 

Boycotting a promotion will have far more effect than cancelling the network due to sheer numbers. I was well aware when I cancelled the network that it would do nothing but make me feel better because I'm 1 in 2 million. Even if 10,000 people who said they would did, it's a drop in the ocean. It will have far more affect on a BritWres company if even 50 people stop going.

30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Unfortunately, I think that’s exactly what will happen. I know there were some on here that did cancel their network subs and I respect them for that. The fact that this doesn’t seem to have made it to the main BBC News website is probably quite telling though. “It’s wrestling, no-one cares”

If we were in pre-Covid times, the majority of people taking a stand would probably do so for a couple of weeks and then start going to shows again. Wrestling fans have a weird way of rationalising things when it comes to someone/a promotion they like. If this was some no-name working the leisure centre circuit then they’d go hell bent for leather on them, but because it’s someone who they’ve seen work their favourite independent promotion (or in some case even sign to one of the bigger companies) then all sorts of weird defences/justicifications get brought into play. It’s like when a footballer gets in trouble with the law, to a lot of fans they’re the scum of the Earth...unless they play for your team, in which case we need to consider X, Y and Z

Edited by WyattSheepMask

A lot of this has been a shock but not a surprise to me. It has been really hard to read through everything and i'm glad that I did. Many of the accusations should be police matters I feel but for those that are not dealt with in the way they should be by the authorities I do hope that promoters will deal with each person they book individually and decide not to use them. However if true then it must be likely that most promoters knew about some of these situations through boasting and posturing backstage if they weren't involved themselves.

Not being able to go to Britwres shows for the past 7 years or so has been one thing I've been a little sore about and missed but right now i'm not sure I could support any Britwres company and i'm genuinely glad i'm away from it. 

15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Pretty sure you need to be 18 to drink. Unless they're asking them for a friendly Ribena. I mean, it could definitely be that couldn't it?

If you'd quoted the next 5 words after that, you would see what he meant.

You've sort of proved the point @HeavyT was making, about needing a bit more context and detail before condemning someone based only on a single sentence (or tweet).

Asking a woman for a drink and then being told she is 17 is one thing, finding out somebody is 17 and then asking her to go for a drink is very different. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Whilst I hope every that every abuser gets what's coming to them I don't think it's helpful to lump in blokes who once had a consensual relationship with a 16 year old with the others who appear to literally be raping people. Or is it just me? I'm going through Twitter trying to get myself caught up on everything but for every sickening story I read I'm seeing two or three that come off like minor sexual misadventures.

If you don't have a problem with a man in his 30's trying it on with one of his 16 year old trainees, then you need to re-evaluate your own morals here. 'Legal' or not, it's disgusting behaviour and a massive breach of trust. Would you be thinking the same way if it were your daughter or son being advanced upon by their trainer who's double their age?

Edited by Accident Prone
grammar