Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, I'm finding the timing of this really interesting. I think you're right that a lot of the victims have nothing to lose right now - can't lose bookings when no companies are running shows.

That's part of it, but also it's women like Jayla Dark and, especially, Sierra Loxton at the forefront of this, both of whom are retired, so they don't have the usual worries of being blacklisted or losing bookings for speaking out.

• Paid Members

It's getting worse by the hour too. Genuinely disappointed in one or two that I've seen named, really didn't expect it.

It's definitely a watershed moment for wrestling in this country and hopefully puts an end to the shady practices that have survived due to the fact wrestling is very niche. 

• Paid Members

It seems that some of the claims are actual horrific abuse with actual evidence or corroborating stories between multiple people, but now some are just "so and so tried to get me to come back to his hotel room" with no evidence. I'm hoping the proper stuff isn't washed out by stuff like the latter because eventually it'll come across as just people throwing names out with baseless accusations. 

I was just typing out something similar using that exact same example.

Expose Wrestling & Sierra Loxton are doing a great job revealing the stories about people sexually assaulting, harassing, & blackmailing people. Inexcusable stuff that deserves a blacklisting at the very least.

But retweeting and sharing stories on those same pages about lads trying and failing to persuade a girl to go back to his room, or another example which Sierra Loxton described as “messaging my friend about her body, being creepy” is not the same thing.

• Paid Members

I don't want to derail this thread, but it's important to try and find a little light amongst the dark, so I couldn't help but share this contribution to the #SpeakingOut discussion from UKFF favourite, and Shitarse50 contender Surf Graffiti.

• Paid Members

With regards to what @FelatioLips and @doppersaid, I agree that the assault stories and the creepy behaviour are different things, but they also tie into a wider point which is, again, what the #MeToo thing is all about. Both aspects are important and it's about a culture shift. 

There's been a similar conversation happening in the comics community, primarily around the behaviour of Warren Ellis - none of which was illegal or involving assault, but which was predatory and unpleasant (at best). And that's an important conversation about how cultures like that operate, and how they're a VERY different experience if you're a woman.

This article is a really good summary of it all, and the way it talks about the wider aspects of how women are treated is absolutely relevant to the conversation about wrestling. https://www.doctornerdlove.com/on-finding-out-your-heroes-are-monsters-or-detoxifying-comic-culture/

The more outrageous parts of the stories we're talking about today are more able to happen because of the wider culture they're taking place in. The creepiness and the perving on women, especially in male-dominated events and past-times, are so pervasive that they're fertile ground for abusers to operate in. They may not be illegal, and in some cases they may not even be intentional. But if things are going to change, it's not going to happen just by identifying the rotten apples. They'll have to change on a much wider level around the whole culture. 

When we can get to a position where women can be much more comfortable at events, groups, gatherings, etc, then we'll already be in a much better position to deal with identifying and outcasting predators. 

53 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Shitarse50 contender Surf Graffiti

Amazing. He's actually now touting for bookings on Twitter off the back of this too.

edit so my entire post isn't about him; obviously many of these things that have come out are absolutely awful to read. I can only be pleased that we are now in a climate where women are feeling able to speak out and be heard rather than dismissed by "the boys".

Edited by Daaaaaad!