Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Read the ExposeWrestling feed last night. Fucking hell. Depressing to see names of guys I knew and worked with there, some that floored me. I was saying to @Chris B that I used to regret not making it in wrestling, but now more than ever, I'm fucking relieved about that. 

A lot of this stuff has genuinely shocked me. It says the "Wall of Shane" was something everyone knew about, but honestly - this is the first I've heard about it, and I hung around the FWA a fair bit in 2004/5. I knew there was a bit of a toxic culture as regards women, but I always had that down as general laddish behaviour like boys boasting about conquests or "bantz lol" which, whilst obviously not acceptable, I honestly didn't know was the tip of a fucking horrendous iceberg.

I was also shocked because I was under the impression that the more horrible behaviour came from the old-schoolers (not all of them, but I've heard some proper nasty stuff about a few), and that the new generation had a better, more modern attitude, that any cases of sexual harassment/assault would be isolated cases, rather than inherent in the culture, as it's now starting to look.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Andy Roy said:

Whats is the deal between them two? I thought they were top mates

They were best friends since they were about 8. But something happened between them. In public, it was apparently down to Russo getting Bolin a gig on his podcast, but Kenny's son says its far more  serious than that.

Either way, Kenny's had big allegations from Shelly Martinez before. She said Bolin has a young kid with him at OVW and everyone was just "whatever, its the South." She even said Kenny told everyone "Lawler told me to get them while they're so you control them easier."

How fucked up is all of this? It's the right of the victims to come forward when/if they feel ready, but what about everyone else in the locker room? It's all well and good tweeting 'I'm shocked. I'm sorry. My DMs are open' blah blah, but surely some of them already knew? There was something going around Twitter the other day about Nathan Cruz tweeting anti-semitic 'jokes' a few years ago, and other BritWres guys jumped to his defence with the old 'people can change' chestnut.

I am not surprised seeing Sanjay Bagga being named. I briefly trained with LDN about 11 years ago, and whilst I never saw or heard anything suspect, he would often make 'jokes' about people being gay and 'bumming' when trainees were grappling. I let it go a few times, but ended up telling him he was homophobic and never returned. He also sent me messages on FB which always started along the lines of 'hello mister', which now I think about it is kinda creepy.

9 minutes ago, Syl said:

How fucked up is all of this? It's the right of the victims to come forward when/if they feel ready, but what about everyone else in the locker room? It's all well and good tweeting 'I'm shocked. I'm sorry. My DMs are open' blah blah, but surely some of them already knew?

Oh absolutely people knew. No doubt about it. But either because (a) they didn't give a shit or (b) they were too scared to lose their position or ruffle feathers etc, a lot of them won't have ever come forward. It's a tough situation for some people to be put in, especially if they think they won't be believed and it's someone who's held in high regards by a lot of others.

• Paid Members

The retired tag team the GEEZERS have been calling out BritWres for being full of nonces and pervs for years now. Everyone in the industry has known all about it for years and hasn't done shit. Fuck British wrestling. 

Edited by LaGoosh

4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Oh absolutely people knew. No doubt about it. But either because (a) they didn't give a shit or (b) they were too scared to lose their position or ruffle feathers etc, a lot of them won't have ever come forward. It's a tough situation for some people to be put in, especially if they think they won't be believed and it's someone who's held in high regards by a lot of others.

That's true, and maybe I'm being too harsh. I think it's more that I have a problem with this type of 'I must share my like/dislike/snide comment/inside joke' behaviour on social media, especially Twitter. 

It's going to be a very interesting few day- going by the rate at which people are being accused, there must be a load of guys shitting themselves right now. 

Fuck sake this is getting worse and worse, the fact that some of these names getting put forward have or have had ties with all 5 major US promotions isn’t a good sign when you look at their positionings in said companies 

Wolfgang and Joe Coffey - 2/3rds of the top heel group in NXTUK, who hold the UK Tag Titles (well Wolfie does with Mark Coffey)

Jack Gallagher - was in the recent Cruiserweight tournament

Jordan Devlin - was Cruiserweight champion before Covid struck, still recognised on WWE’s website

Matt Riddle - former Tag champion on NXT and about to be part of main roster

Jimmy Havoc - was just in a big tag match v the Bucks on Dynamite on Wednesday 

Joey Ryan - part of the Cancel Culture stable in Impact

Marty Scurll - booker and Villain Club leader in ROH, been feuding with Nick Aldis in NWA

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr Kennedy said:
What the actual fuck.

Seconded. I'll be interested to see if another name crops up now...I'm surprised it hasn't already but I think there's still a halo around him due to what happened and the fundraiser.

Absolutely shocking just how pervasive this is. Fuck the lot of them I hope they get what they deserve. It's beyond disgusting.

The first FWA show I went to, me and my buddy were sat in front of 3 girls who can't have been older than 15 exchanging lewd stories about various wrestlers. We dismissed it as silly bollocks at the time, but it's always nagged at the back of my mind, especially when we heard more rumours over the next few months concerning one of their top guys. So the Alex Shane stuff doesn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Read the ExposeWrestling feed last night. Fucking hell. Depressing to see names of guys I knew and worked with there, some that floored me. I was saying to @Chris B that I used to regret not making it in wrestling, but now more than ever, I'm fucking relieved about that. 

A lot of this stuff has genuinely shocked me. It says the "Wall of Shane" was something everyone knew about, but honestly - this is the first I've heard about it, and I hung around the FWA a fair bit in 2004/5. I knew there was a bit of a toxic culture as regards women, but I always had that down as general laddish behaviour like boys boasting about conquests or "bantz lol" which, whilst obviously not acceptable, I honestly didn't know was the tip of a fucking horrendous iceberg.

I was also shocked because I was under the impression that the more horrible behaviour came from the old-schoolers (not all of them, but I've heard some proper nasty stuff about a few), and that the new generation had a better, more modern attitude, that any cases of sexual harassment/assault would be isolated cases, rather than inherent in the culture, as it's now starting to look.

I hadn’t heard of the Wall either until today reading these threads