Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

My understanding is that your wife's boss is right on the first point (the app notification is advisory)- however if Test & Trace contact you then you must isolate by law. Your wife's boss is putting your wife in a very dangerous predicament by insisting she continues to work.

Yeah, she argued it back and forth and was finally allowed to self-isolate without punishment after I shared a thing that said the business could be fined ÂŁ10k. All of this over a single four hour shift, it's just madness. This is the same boss who's told her she can't catch covid because she's already had it, mind.

Had somebody tell me today "oh, I don't think I'll sign in with track and trace, I've got a holiday coming up."

It's good this personal responsibility lark.

Also "the leader of the council doesn't like the idea of us 'encouraging' the use of face masks." 

Well, I don't like the idea of him either, does that mean I can get rid of him? 

8 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Pardon my ignorance, I haven’t seen much talk around contracting it a 2nd time. Is it just assumed you can catch it again or what? 

Pretty sure you can. There was a fairly high profile case of someone getting it twice recently. I want to say Andrew Marr but not sure that's 100% accurate. 

Edit: apologies, Marr just got it after being double jabbed, I read that wrong.

Edited by SuperBacon
Ooh aah Andrew Marr

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Pardon my ignorance, I haven’t seen much talk around contracting it a 2nd time. Is it just assumed you can catch it again or what? 

From what I can find the basic answer is we don't really know, especially with the new variants going around.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-news

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I know of at least one person who has had it twice, pretty seriously both times, and second time was after his second jab.

It just seems to be a matter of playing the odds; most people who have had it probably won't get it again, and most people who have been vaccinated probably won't get it, but there's always a slim chance of getting it regardless of either, and this unlucky sod just got the worst luck. 

• Moderators

So whats going on with all these app notifications and vaccinations? I was shocked the other week when my brother told me he'd been isolating after being "pinged" despite being vaccinated. Seemed somewhat daft to be isolating as a vaccinated person who may have had some contact with someone who has covid.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, neil said:

So whats going on with all these app notifications and vaccinations? I was shocked the other week when my brother told me he'd been isolating after being "pinged" despite being vaccinated. Seemed somewhat daft to be isolating as a vaccinated person who may have had some contact with someone who has covid.

From what I can tell the vaccine reduces symptoms and severity of infection but not contracting or transmission, which is what the app is meant to help control.

Some event's request a negative test before admission even with two doeses for this reason, at least until rollout of vaccine is complete.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

From what I can tell the vaccine reduces symptoms and severity of infection but not contracting or transmission, which is what the app is meant to help control.

Some event's request a negative test before admission even with two doeses for this reason, at least until rollout of vaccine is complete.

There's also no way of the app "knowing" if you're vaccinated or not, because it doesn't retain that kind of information.

It's important to remember that Track & Trace is legally binding, the app isn't. So while I haven't been pinged yet, I have been contacted directly by a couple of people who have tested positive, and on both occasions I've taken a test at home at the earliest opportunity. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, hallicks said:

How anal are the vaccination centres about appointment times? I’ve double booked myself for my 2nd jab and a work meeting at the same time so wondering if they’ll me go in half an hour early

Yeah, I was early for both of mine, and my girlfriend was early for her first one, and were ushered straight in.

I guess so long as you actually have an appointment, they have the vaccines in, so would rather just have people come in and out than go, “Oh, no. You’re early” and just have people congregating and milling around.