2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

Terribly sad. Chadwick Boseman has died at 43 after a 4 year battle against colon cancer

T’Challa/Black Panther was my introduction to him. He was great in the role in all of those last few Marvel films, but know he played some big roles outside of that. He always came across well in behind the scenes footage and interviews as well. And he was only 43. Shit news to wake up to 

Considering this was from 2018, this packs even more of an emotional punch    

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator

Devastating news to wake up to. The cultural impact he had as Black Panther, as an inspiration, as a legitimate hero, to so many, is huge. His portrayal of that character was one of the best in any superhero film - the charisma and stature he put into the performance made you feel he was a true king, and you would follow your king into battle. I can’t speak for how he made so many of African or Black heritage feel but the video above gives an indication.

And that’s not to mention he also played Jackie Robinson and James Brown, and to think so many of his more physical roles like 21 Bridges and Da 5 Bloods were played while actively battling colon cancer. 

Heartbreaking news. It’s a truly sad day.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Fuck me that's a tough one to process. One of those guys you thought had made such an impact already and yet he was only just scratching the surface of where he was going with the MCU and other projects in the future.

And to think he did all he did while dealing with that stuff in such a private manner. Crazy really. I had a lot of respect for the man before but what an absolute inspiration. Not just to black people but anyone. So sad that his life was cut tragically short but what a legacy to leave.

He leaves a wonderful legacy. Black Panther is not only a fantastic film, it's also one of the most culturally important films in cinema history for a whole generation. 

I can't even imagine the strength it takes for someone going through that, to be able to continue to do what he did. 

What sad news.

• Paid Members

Gutted by this one. 43 is no age at all and it just felt like he was starting to get recognition for his talent and was on the cusp of becoming a huge star. 

He was phenomenal in 42, Draft Day and of course Black Panther. I quite enjoyed his recent film 21 Bridges too. Very sad. 

As mentioned, the physical and mental strength to do Marvel movies, and action movies in general, while battling cancer is both inspirational and incredible. A real life superhero, giving so much to bring happiness to people even while going through so much. RIP

• Paid Members

I honestly had what I can only think was a panic attack this morning when I read this. I'm heartbroken. His legacy in 42 and Black Panther are two of my all time favourite films. 

But knowing what we know now, how selfless and passionate he was, how much he wanted to be a role model and help people and how much of a real hero he was all the while having the burden of knowing how sick he was but never informing anyone outside of his immidate people. There's a level of courage and respect you can't help but be amazed and inspired by. 

It was some of the shitest news I've woken up too, but I'm so fucking happy his legacy will always be remembered. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Simeon Coxe of Silver Apples, aged 82. Incredible pioneer of electronic music, with the first two Apples albums being some of the most mindblowing stuff I ever heard when I first listened to them back around '06/'07, and was lucky enough to see him live in late 2007.

That he was recording genuinely brilliant electronica in 1968 will never cease to amaze me, and the photos and diagrams of his bonkers homemade set-up are wonderful;

SA_01-1010-TEsWiQ.EKhIi3QouAf5KqQkZIWgYy

They also had a little known third album in the late '90s, which featured a version of Mustang Sally that became a staple part of my DJ set back when that was still a thing I did. Just a burst of madcap energy.