2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

He had a stroke a couple of years ago, but he was also 92, so possibly just old age. He was one of those people that always looked old (I can't remember ever seeing him with a full head of hair), and for the last 10 years or so has been very much the image of a frail old man.

I just spotted that James Randi had died. Gutted for this one. I really enjoyed his stuff exposing Peter Popoff, James Hydrick, Uri Gellar and the rest of the the like.

For anyone who's not seen it is very much recommend the documentary on him called "An Honest Liar".

• Paid Members

Loads of cracking vids of him on YouTube debunking frauds in a very polite, but you dick kind of way.  Always entertaining, and there’s an excellent documentary from a couple of years ago about him worth rooting out.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Loads of cracking vids of him on YouTube debunking frauds in a very polite, but you dick kind of way.  Always entertaining, and there’s an excellent documentary from a couple of years ago about him worth rooting out.

@Astro Hollywood wrote a great chapter on one such fraud, James Hydrick, which includes his interaction with Randi in his book Smoke & Mirrors and Steven Seagal. 

Tough week for the Outlaw Country crowd. 

First, Jerry Jeff Walker passed away at the weekend and now Billy Joe Shaver has died as well. 

Both are excellent singers, songwriters and characters and are two of my absolute favourite artists. Originals.

JJW is probably best known for writing and first recording Mr. Bojangles but his catalogue is rich and diverse. He was also adept at covering other people's work, whether it was Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt or Tom Waits. 

Billy Joe Shaver should've been a bigger star than he was. He wrote pretty much all of Waylon Jennings's Honky Tonk Heroes record but never had a big hit himself. 

If you're gonna listen to one album of his, Old Five and Dimers Like Me is probably the one to go with but it's all good stuff. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Millard's curse strikes again. 

I never mentioned this at the time, because it would've been tasteless, but the week I started writing my lightly-fictionalised Little and Large novella, Eddie went of Covid :(

I'm incredibly sad about Bobby. He was still doing great comedy acting work, right until the end. In going through their old shows, the one thing that really stands out is how much fun the pair were having. I know it soured as time went on, but those early years, it's just a couple of mates who can barely meet each other's eye without cracking up.