2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

I was fortunate enough to meet Nobby Stiles on a couple of occasions, even scored a penalty against him (he was in goal) at Deepdale, when I was 11 or so. Top, top fella.

I learned a few years ago that he was suffering with dementia. A very sad loss.

-edit- just remembered this. I was on holiday in Crete (1979 ish). One afternoon, walking through the hotel gardens, a young waiter passed me, looked at my top, which was a North End shirt, with a pnefc logo. The guy just said "ah, Nobby Steelez". Pretty remarkable really, that he would have even known.

Edited by KingofSports

12 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

James Broad, singer and guitarist with the band Silver Sun has lost his battle with cancer.  I was quite into Silver Sun in the late 90s but had no idea they were still going and continuing to release new stuff.

silversun19.jpg 

Oh that's sad news. Saw Silver Sun a few times during that period, notably supporting Ash in the lead up to one of the mid 90's Glastos. I had a drink with them and respective partners after being injured in the pit for Ash (Yeah, it was a weird gig). Lovely guy, great and underrated band. Shame they were not bigger during that period. RIP

• Awards Moderator

Aw fuck I had no idea about James Broad. I loved Silver Sun in the 90s, saw them in a tiny gig in a sticky dive in Southend right in front of the man. Bloody adored that debut album and I still listen to it regularly. Here if you want some bubblegum chainsaw punk pop. Lava is a BANGER. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/6CcsJU06RJfoaMjRcxsKOP?si=nEftwHwjQnCHDxtI32qkiw

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators
On 10/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, Carbomb said:

Withnail & I is one of my favourite movies of all time, so will have to disagree with you on a personal basis.

But you've also missed out A Fish Called WandaHow To Get Ahead In Advertising (although that's more about the uncanny and less about the comedy), and Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life (nowhere near their best, but still memorable and funny).

Fuck that. The very first film on that list is George and Mildred. That wins out for the decade being a marvellous one for British comedy. 

• Paid Members
On 10/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, Pier Six Brawler said:

British comedy movies of the 80s is fairly slim pickings. Unless you count things like Time Bandits and American Werewolf in London as comedies, which I don't. I guess Gregory's Girl is better though. Rita Sue and Bob Too as well. 

A Fish Called Wanda, Letter to Brezhnev, Local Hero, Clockwise, Comfort and Joy, Wish You Were Here, High Hopes, Shirley Valentine, The Missionary, Restless Natives - these all say hi and that you're wrong.

And George and Mildred.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Gregory's Girl and Letter to Brezhnev too! 

I'll never understand why people run British cinema down. 

If you looked across all the genres of British cinema in the 80s their numbers might seem like "slim pickings" because the Tories refused to fund the film industry and it was left to Film Four and Handmade Films and a few independents to pick up the pieces. But I watched a bunch of 80s British films back in the summer and despite the lack of funding and support, the quality still shone through.

Letter to Brezhnev is *such* an awesome film.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

FilmFour pretty much saved British inema in the 80s for me Clive, by going straight to TV. 

Walter was a statement of intent and they churned out quality ever after. Its a shame they don't make such challenging and interesting films now. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

FilmFour pretty much saved British inema in the 80s for me Clive, by going straight to TV. 

Walter was a statement of intent and they churned out quality ever after. Its a shame they don't make such challenging and interesting films now. 

Yeah, they chip in a bit for a couple of films a year (Saint Maud was their most recent, great it is too) but they almost never fund a film by themselves anymore.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the Lance Storm obituary, but John Sessions is someone who I found absolutely brilliant, but also wildly irritating and smug. He was funny, intelligent, and immensely talented, and fucking knew it. One of the best there was on Whose Line, and when he popped up on QI he was just an incomprehensible force, running rings around Stephen Fry - in a lot of ways, it felt like he was exactly the kind of eccentric public intellectual that Fry imagines himself to be. 

• Moderators

Really? I'm going to be even more Lance Storm like, he did my fucking swede in on Whose Line as was more concerned with being intelligent than funny. Which is problematic on a comedy programme. Thank fuck for the North American Invasion on it, first of Mike McShane then Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie. There's a quality article on Whose Line on the wonderful Off The Telly website which sums my feelings up on Sessions better than I ever could.