2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Clark Middleton, know to us mostly from The Blacklist has died aged 63.  Always a highlight when he was in an episode.

Ah that's shit. The Blacklist has been pretty rubbish for a couple of seasons but he's always great when he's in it.

• Paid Members

The best, man. Reinvented the way you play guitar. The fact that there is a whole genre of music of people thinking they are as good as him says it all. Even KISS brought in a speed guitarist just to bite off his act (and ultimately got rid when his hands swelled up.)

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

11 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

A true legend.  Pure rock and roll.  Sadly, Jump will be being played as a tribute most places.  Here’s a proper one.

Jump is a classic, a song that caught my eye and made me listen to 1984. live versions which are much more guitar heavy bring it to a new level. 

I think people often dismiss it but Balance shows a whole new level of him as a guitarist. Bluesy, yet quite heavy. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

I've known about his throat cancer (and his theories behind it) for years, but it still hit me out the blue. He pretty much created the template for how guitar playing was going to go in the 80s, and he was ripped off not only as a guitarist, but for his keyboard riffs too.

The fact that so many guitar heroes cite him as their guitar hero - even ones from the same era - says it all.

I don't have a Frankenstein guitar, but I do have this bad boy...

evh.jpg

Apart from his playing, what stood out for me with Eddie Van Halen was his huge dorky grin. In a world where super serious guitarists gurned away like they’d left a big smelly poo on their guitar and occasionally caught a whiff of it, here was a better player with a huge smile on his face having a great time and sharing his love and enthusiasm.