2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

12 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Really? I'm going to be even more Lance Storm like, he did my fucking swede in on Whose Line as was more concerned with being intelligent than funny. Which is problematic on a comedy programme. Thank fuck for the North American Invasion on it, first of Mike McShane then Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie. There's a quality article on Whose Line on the wonderful Off The Telly website which sums my feelings up on Sessions better than I ever could. 

Yep. I always remember in Viz when Roger Mellie was on Whose Line and it started with Sessions being all clever and Roger said “Tom, what the fuck is he on about?”, carried on with Sessions taking the piss and ended with Rog going “I’m going to do this in the style of Muhammed Ali”, Tom looking delighted that he’d finally got the hang of it, then Rog twatting Sessions and saying “Stitch this you annoying cunt”

It may not have been the actual sessions but Roger spoke for us all. The other annoying thing about Whose Line was it gave birth to local improv groups who are always shite. 

19 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Really? I'm going to be even more Lance Storm like, he did my fucking swede in on Whose Line as was more concerned with being intelligent than funny. Which is problematic on a comedy programme. Thank fuck for the North American Invasion on it, first of Mike McShane then Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie. There's a quality article on Whose Line on the wonderful Off The Telly website which sums my feelings up on Sessions better than I ever could. 

I agree. When I started watching it John Sessions, Tony Slattery, Josie Lawrence etc were the regulars, and I would add Greg Proops to the list of Americans/Canadians who made the show much funnier later on. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

That Sessions/Fry/Slattery era of Whose Line always reminds me of Simon Pegg talking about the difference between the Young Ones and Monty Python - that the Young Ones was the first show his generation actually laughed at, whereas so much of Monty Python was just nodding appreciably and thinking, "yes, that was funny, well done". Josie Lawrence was genuinely great, and Slattery at least had some punchlines, though.

John Sessions doing stuff like improvising in the style of Finnegan's Wake was staggering, but it wasn't exactly laugh out loud. The American/Canadian contingent coming in did the show an incredible service by breaking up the sense of it just being an Oxbridge parlour game, though. 

17 hours ago, gmoney said:

Have to agree, he was insufferable on Who's Line. He was fucking excellent in Stella Street though. 

Stella Street is something I'm realising is an enormous blind spot - my brother was sending me clips from it last night and they had me howling. The only part I have any memory of is Jagger.

There is an absolutely wonderful put down by Paul Merton during a game where they throw out one liners relating to be being the world's worst at something. 

The suggestion is 'World's Worst person to be in a elevator with' and Merton just strides forward and says 'Hello, I'm John Sessions'.

Agreed with above, he is an absolute mare to deal with on Whose Line, those early shows are almost utter cack.

Sessions was a big Ukipper and Farage fan as well. 

Geoffrey Palmer has died. Much like William Gaunt and Penelope Keith, there was a warm comfort of familiarity with him on screen when I was growing up. And he was in an episode of Blackadder Goes Forth!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

about 15 years ago Viz ran a one-off called "Dahmer or Palmer: Who Is The Deadliest Jeffrey?".

They gave the nod to Palmer, as he scored higher on "likeliness to kill again". 

I love those columns they do in Viz. Wow, file him under "I thought he'd already passed on." he was, as mentioned, a reliable actor. You knew what you were getting with him. Great presence as well. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

about 15 years ago Viz ran a one-off called "Dahmer or Palmer: Who Is The Deadliest Jeffrey?".

They gave the nod to Palmer, as he scored higher on "likeliness to kill again". 

There was also a full page image of people using his craggy face to practice rock climbing that had a young me in hysterics 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

"I thought he'd already passed on." he was, as mentioned, a reliable actor. You knew what you were getting with him. Great presence as well. 

Someone on Twitter said he managed to work the greatest hits of British telly, and they're not far wrong - he popped up in Doctor Who, Blackadder, Reggie Perrin, The Goodies, The Sweeney, Fawlty Towers and just about everything else, as well as being in a Bond movie, Paddington, The Madness of King George and A Fish Called Wanda. It's a hell of a run, and he was always value for money.