2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

Incredibly sad to hear the passing of Mr Bobby ball. 
I had the enormous pleasure of meeting him and seeing him every single friday as he was there too pick his grandson up from primary school (his grandson was in the year below me) 
He was always so smiley and lovely, I really do have so many memories of seeing him so this is a big hit. 

R.I.P to the pioneer and icon 

• Paid Members

Awww this is a really wank one! Cannon & Ball were regulars at the panto in Crewe & we took our daughter last year. Bobby Ball was the obvious highlight.Tommy seemingly just wanted to sing whilw Bobby was having the best time ripping  a group of mums on the front row like it was a Friday night at Jongleurs rather than a wet Sunday afternoon at the Lyceum.

He was known for still being a massive comedy fan and his love for stand up saw him be a regular at gigs around Blackpool & Preston. Whether it was big weekend shows or smaller midweek gigs he'd often sit at the back watching new/current acts. I never heard a bad word, just peeps my age saying that him complimenting them on their stuff meant more than any Chortle review. I saw a post on FB by Andy Hollingworth (a comedy photigrapher & historian which nearly got me going -

We’re on a train to London and I’ve just heard the news that Bobby Ball has died.
I’m devastated.
I was with him at Phil Walker's gig in Lytham a couple of months ago. He was the life and soul of the dressing room, as ever, all the young comics hanging on to every word.
At the end, I told him that my photo of his braces was now in grand company, alongside Chaplin’s cane and Stan Laurel’s bowler. As he left the room he turned back to me “do you know what that means to me son? Do you understand what that means to a man like me?”
I did.
I always will.
Rock on my friend.
x

RIP

• Paid Members

Cannon & Ball were on TV a lot then I was a young 'un, and probably more than a little influential in the development of what passes for my sense of humour. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

British comedy movies of the 80s is fairly slim pickings. Unless you count things like Time Bandits and American Werewolf in London as comedies, which I don't. I guess Gregory's Girl is better though. Rita Sue and Bob Too as well. 

Withnail & I is one of my favourite movies of all time, so will have to disagree with you on a personal basis.

But you've also missed out A Fish Called WandaHow To Get Ahead In Advertising (although that's more about the uncanny and less about the comedy), and Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life (nowhere near their best, but still memorable and funny).