2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

Loved Alan Minter. The first boxer I was really aware of growing up.

According to Wikipedia he was responsible for killing This is your Life!

It went out live and loads of people tuned in to see who would be that week's subject.

Minter couldn't stop swearing. From then on they had to record it, which meant the papers could report who would getting the red book, ending the surprise element.

• Moderators

You won't like this post then sorry bud. 

I remember him being on Central Weekend Live in the mid 90s after Bradley Stone dying and saying that he used to box 15 rounds and he was OK and it should go back to that, as its a gladiators sport and all that guff.

And his racist comments to Marvellous Marvin in public until he got shown by the man, but not until his words in the press whipped the crowd into such a frenzy Marvin Hagler said he'd never step on these shores ever again and Harry Carpenter himself said it was the worst night in Boxing he'd ever seen. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2013/oct/03/alan-miller-marvin-hagler-1980-boxing-low-point

So sorry to Lance Storm it, but balls to Alan Minter

Edited by PowerButchi

On 9/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, cobra_gordo said:

She was probably one of my favourite things about Game Of Thrones and easily had the most triumphant ending. I don't think any other actress could have done that scene anywhere near the justice she did.

She was bad-ass in that however lets not forget that she also let Daniel Radcliffe flick a condom onto her head.
Legend

On 9/11/2020 at 1:55 AM, PowerButchi said:

You won't like this post then sorry bud. 

So sorry to Lance Storm it, but balls to Alan Minter

Sorry, Butch I zoned out and hadn't realised it was a direct reply to my post.

Do we need an "Embarrassing shit our heroes said" thread?

Being 6 at the time of his winning the world title I wasn't watching the fights or aware of the racial aspect of the build up. I just heard that Britain had a world champion and "huzzah!"

That's the place my post came from, and I've never looked more closely into it, so that article was a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

As for the "I got smacked in the head for 15 rounds and it didn't do me any harm" bollocks. It's just an old bloke telling everyone it was better in his day. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Michael Lonsdale, probably best known as Bond Villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker has died. A brilliant actor whose work often goes under the radar. If you haven’t seen Of Gods And Men, get on it. 

He's also fantastic as Man Painting Tiny Soldiers Whilst Talking To Robert De Niro And Jean Reno in Ronin. 

7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Michael Lonsdale, probably best known as Bond Villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker has died. A brilliant actor whose work often goes under the radar. If you haven’t seen Of Gods And Men, get on it. 

One of my favourite movies of all time is The Day of the Jackal starring Lonsdale as the detective Claude Lebel hunting down the Jackal. I think it's his best English speaking role as he plays it without the usual high drama that on-screen detectives of that era would have to ham up. Also as mentioned, his short part in Ronin was magnified by his presence alone.