2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

2 hours ago, dopper said:

Jerry Seinfeld did an episode of "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" with Carl Reiner as the guest. It's on Netflix.

As well as going to get coffee, Seinfeld went to Reiner's house to join him doing what he did most nights at that point in his life (2012) which was having Mel Brooks come over and they would eat takeaways with trays on their knee and watch game shows on TV.

It was very heartwarming to see two comedy legends in the twilight of their lives happily just doing what normal people do and making each other laugh. 

Oh jesus, that has just warmed my entire soul. I jumped straight on here when u heard he'd died because he strikes me as the sort of chap that the UKFF would have a lot of love for. Sidenote, I love the episode with Mel Brooks on The Simosons where he keeps going on about how much he hates Carl Reiner. The thought of those two legends sitting at home eating takeaways is the sort of wholesome content I needed today.

• Paid Members

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ennio-morricone-death-age-cause-composer-oscar-scores-a9602996.html

Obviously 91 is a pretty good innings, but still very sad. From the soundtrack to The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly (which as a Metallica fan since I was a kid means The Ecstasy of Gold holds a warm place in my heart) all the way up to The Hateful Eight, his work has always had that ability to give me goosebumps. A brilliant composer. RIP

• Paid Members

I was incredibly lucky to see him at the O2 in what I think was his last ever UK performance a couple of years ago. Amazing concert. 

He's famous for so many anthemic pieces, as well as pretty much reinventing Western soundtracks - the whistling sound used in modern media to imply a cowboy setting is pretty much down to him - but oddly my first experience of his music was Chi Mai, when I saw a Friends Provident advert on TV in the 80s. Beautiful track. 

He's one of the greats, simple as that. RIP. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

oddly my first experience of his music was Chi Mai, when I saw a Friends Provident advert on TV in the 80s.

Theme to the Lloyd George programme on the BBC for me, Clive. 

I know this’ll sound like one of those bullshit tweets about someone’s kid saying something, but when I was at primary school, there was a special one off event where an orchestra came in to play. One of the tunes they played was Chi Mai and I could hear all the arrangements beneath the main melody and it honestly had a profound effect on a young Kool Keith. I started to notice arrangements in other things after that, like the brass in the Dallas theme and shit like that. Looking back, it was quite a defining moment for me musically, I leaned it isn’t just about the main attraction like the bit you can whistle, all the pieces fit. 

• Paid Members

Damn, 91 is a good innings but what a talent to loose. A true legend. The dollars trilogy is going on tonight for sure.

• Paid Members

Absolutely in bits over this today. Big Jack Charlton as Ireland manager was a huge part of my childhood and in a roundabout way why I've followed the Irish national team around Europe over the past decade. So many good memories. 

RIP Big Man

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2020 at 9:28 AM, johnnyboy said:

Big Jack Charlton dead at 85.  I've often hoped that the story about him paying for drinks in Ireland with a cheque so that they'd frame it rather than cash it was true, but then you think why was Jack Charlton paying for his own in the first place?

Salvador Dali used to do this, apparently - would host a huge dinner for all his hangers-on, then just before handing over the cheque, he would doodle something on the back, knowing that it meant the restaurant owner would never cash it, so he effectively dined for free for the last ten or so years of his life. I imagine plenty of celebs figured out it was a decent con.