2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Salvador Dali used to do this, apparently - would host a huge dinner for all his hangers-on, then just before handing over the cheque, he would doodle something on the back, knowing that it meant the restaurant owner would never cash it, so he effectively dined for free for the last ten or so years of his life. I imagine plenty of celebs figured out it was a decent con.

Bradley from S Club 7 used to ask for free clothes in Topman in Epsom, "because I'm Bradley from S Club 7". 

The Jack Charlton news really hit me. So many great memories as a boy watching Ireland under Jack. I remember being in Ireland for the Italy game in 94. Don't think I ever saw my Grandad move as fast as when Houghton scored. He's linked with my childhood in so many ways. Unbelievable what he did for the country.

• Paid Members

The Jack Charlton news haunted me all day Saturday.
Big Jack will always be that big pillar of hope to me - almost deity like - because in the 80's all there was really in Ireland was unemployment, misery, instant spuds/Smash, mass and the threat of AIDS if you touched a toilet bowl. Then he came along with upended this whole country and gave us something to celebrate and be proud of.
I was only a boy, but I still remember the chaos and celebrations of Euro 88 and Italia 90 where grown men were openly crying, smiles were everywhere, people hung out of lamposts and then all of a sudden, Irelands economy started to climb and people started to get jobs again.
I associate that with him, and I've always said it.

Then there was this:
And he cared so much about this game, this moment, that he couldn't bare to watch and chewed his poor nails off in the process.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I was only a boy, but I still remember the chaos and celebrations of Euro 88 and Italia 90 where grown men were openly crying, smiles were everywhere, people hung out of lamposts and then all of a sudden, Irelands economy started to climb and people started to get jobs again.
I associate that with him, and I've always said it.

I moved to Ireland as a kid in '91, and I agree completely. Italia '90 and USA '94 (in particular) were enormous for Ireland. Particularly '94 - England didn't get through, and with the American connection, suddenly everyone had Irish roots, and tourism went through the roof. There were other major pop culture achievements around the time that were factors, but that team and that world cup were definitely factors.

In '94, when Ireland beat Italy... never seen anything like it in the pubs. Pints were knocked over with the goal, but tables went over when the whistle blew. I also remember the whole thing with Charlton being banned from pitchside for getting bolshy, and throwing water to the dehydrated players because they were playing in a heatwave. I was in Dublin the next morning, and even earlier than normal, the street vendors were out with t-shirts of Jack Charlton's smiling face, and written over and above it 'Fuck the £10,000 - we're through to the second round!'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Tim Smith, lead singer and creative force behind Cardiacs (if you're not familiar with them, they weren't hugely commercially successful but they were hugely influential) passed away yesterday. He had been suffering with Dystonia since a stroke in 2009 and I'm not sure he had the greatest quality of life during that period, but he was a force of nature in his heyday, and unstoppable ball of energy and a phenomenal songwriter and artist in his own right. This one hit me pretty hard in truth. RIP Tim.

Lovely article in The Guardian about his life here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/22/cardiacs-tim-smith-a-one-man-subculture-who-inspired-total-devotion

• Paid Members

I never managed to get into to Cardiacs, despite enjoying a fair bit of what I'd heard, though sometimes it was a bit much. The is also something quite terrifying about them, particularly Tim Smith and his horrifying mouth. All of the below is nightmare fuel. 

• Paid Members

@gmoney It took me quite a while to be fully "in", but once you are it's amazing. 

Tarred and Feathered is probably the more extreme end of their style, but the again it's also really accurate. I love how apologetically weird they are. It's such a unique sound and their look and feel as a band evolved so much. 

Is This The Life is probably the most conventional thing they released, and it's brilliant. 

But Tim Smith was more than just Cardiacs, he wrote some amazing other stuff for various bands, produced albums for The Wildhearts among others, and created Spratley's Japs with Jo Spratley, which is something so otherworldly that I get lost in my own head listening to it.