2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

He also did The Number 23 which is one of the most hilariously shit films I've ever seen, and lots of very overrated stuff like The Lost Boys, Falling Down and 8mm. I like The Client and Phonebooth though. 

Edited by gmoney

41 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

RIP Joel Schumacher.  Excellent director apart from the Bat-Nipples incident.

Indeed, aside from the overtly overtly camera 'loves men' motif. The Lost Boys, A Time To Kill (On Amazon, I think, maybe Netflix), Falling Down, Flatliners and Veronica Guerin are all fantastic films

RIP

• Paid Members

I love the Lost Boys for what it is but he was far from a good director, very much a jobbing director in that 80s music video style and massively over achieved and fell into a big franchise ( which was a poison challace of a job with all the studio interference to make it marketable to kids, something that is still very relevant with the recent Snyder cut debate.) and tried to do dark and gritty to get away from it with limited success. 

Saying that, he always seemed like a very cool guy in interviews and A Time to kill was a very good film. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, gmoney said:

lots of very overrated stuff like The Lost Boys

Fuck off. It's a great film. Full of brilliant performances from an insanely likeable and charismatic cast from top to bottom, very funny, unique atmosphere and iconic look, some top horror moments and good action. 

The rest of his output is very mixed. However he always came across as an insanely nice guy and was out as a proud gay man throughout a time period where a lot of people in Hollywood wouldn't have had the courage to do so. RIP

In my sleep-deprived brain last night I got Schumacher confused with Paul Verhoeven and was properly gutted for a minute. 

Schumacher wasn't exactly Paul Verhoeven, but he made some pretty good films (along with some really terrible ones). 

I enjoy St. Elmo's Fire a lot because I was really into the Brat Pack thing in my early teens. Flatliners is very stylish. Got a lot of time for Falling Down and The Client. Both excellent. Couldn't care less about Batman or anything to do with superheroes. 

I think, for better or worse, at least Schumacher was true to himself and his vision whenever he made a film. A proper director, in that sense. 

Has anyone seen Flawless? It was one I had saved on Sky+ for the longest time and never got around to watching. 

• Paid Members

Carl Reiner had died aged 98.  The second funniest American.  Look up the 2,000 year old man stuff he did with Mel Brookes (the funniest American).  Just genius.

• Paid Members

I'd been making my way through the Dick Van Dyke Show on Netflix when it was on there. He was a funny man. 98 is a decent innings. 

• Paid Members

I watched a fair bit of that a couple of years ago, it was ace. He was supposed to be the lead in it but when they tested it everyone said they hated him so they drafted in Dick Van Dyke instead. No taste, Americans in the 60s! 

Jerry Seinfeld did an episode of "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee" with Carl Reiner as the guest. It's on Netflix.

As well as going to get coffee, Seinfeld went to Reiner's house to join him doing what he did most nights at that point in his life (2012) which was having Mel Brooks come over and they would eat takeaways with trays on their knee and watch game shows on TV.

It was very heartwarming to see two comedy legends in the twilight of their lives happily just doing what normal people do and making each other laugh.