2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

I'm stunned at both his passing and the fact he was 86. He must have been, what, nigh on 70 during his Mighty Wind, Best in Show and American Pie 3 roles and he looked absolutely fantastic. I would have had him in his 50s back then. 

What a very, very funny man he was, and made me smile every time he popped up on my screen. Really, truly saddened to read that news. 

• Paid Members

I'm always wary of calling someone effortlessly funny because I'm sure it involves tonnes of effort, but he really did seem to be funny down to his bones. Would almost literally fist pump when he turned up in things because he was so consistent. If you've ever seen Review With Forrest McNeil, he's makes a scene so funny I think about it at least once a month.

A massive loss. 

• Paid Members

The strange thing is, I was watching an episode of Hells Kitchen the other day and Fred Willard was at the chefs table and I wasn’t sure if he had already passed so googled it and was surprised to see he was still alive.

He was one of those actors that I just loved to see pop up in things and usually played the role brilliantly. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Fred Willard at the age of 86. Always added laughs to whatever film he’d pop up in.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/fred-willard-best-in-show-actor-dead-obit-1000942/

Noooooooooo! He was absolute gold. From Spinal Tap to Russell Madness he was fucking great in anything he was probably the best thing in over half the films he was in. Tremendous. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'm stunned at both his passing and the fact he was 86. He must have been, what, nigh on 70 during his Mighty Wind, Best in Show and American Pie 3 roles and he looked absolutely fantastic. I would have had him in his 50s back then.

This was my reaction too. It speaks to the energy, ability and sharpness he always possessed that you would have him down at least 15/20 years younger. If you saw what happened to the likes of Don Rickles or Jerry Lewis when they got past 75 you definitely see the light dimming, but Fred was still incredible.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Oh man, just got to Fred Willard's episode in the last season of Modern Family.  His chats with Phil really hit me with an extra layer of blubbing my eyes out.

I know, he was like the Dad that everybody wants.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Marc Ambush Solo said:

Mory Kanté: African music star dies aged 70 - singer of the Yeke Yeke song.

Damn it. I tried tracking that song down for years after hearing a remix on the radio. Incredibly hard if you don’t know how the lyrics are spelt. I loved watching his live performances on YouTube as well. Always looked like he was loving life.

• Paid Members

Oh, man. Not Kante too. A stalwart of West African music. Listened to him a lot during my early teens, along with Baaba Maal, Ismael Lo, Manu Dibango. RIP.

• Awards Moderator

Michael Angelis, 76. A wonderful actor and hugely important in his role in Boys from the Blackstuff. Recognised predominantly as a Poundland Ringo Starr due to his voice work on Thomas the Tank, but he was so much more than that. One of the most consistent and impressive TV actors you could see.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Michael Angelis, 76. A wonderful actor and hugely important in his role in Boys from the Blackstuff. Recognised predominantly as a Poundland Ringo Starr due to his voice work on Thomas the Tank, but he was so much more than that. One of the most consistent and impressive TV actors you could see.

Alec Baldwin was narrating the American version while we had Michael Angelis. 

On 5/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, Magnum Milano said:

Tony Scannell at the age of 74, probably best remembered for playing the great Ted Roach in The Bill.

roach.jpg

Ah that's brutal. Ted Roach was a great character, up there with Burnside and Bob Cryer. Glad they put The Bill out of it's misery when they did, it had basically turned into Hollyoaks with uniforms by the end.