2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’ve never seen Seinfeld and only seen the odd bit of King of Queens when I was still living at home when my mum watched it, but I’d become more familiar with his and Anne Meara’s work While covering her appearance on Oz for the podcast.

A touching tribute from WyattSheepMask.

• Awards Moderator

Astrid Kirchherr, photographer and friend of The Beatles when they were being dickheads in Hamburg. Eventually ended up going out with Stuart Sutcliffe before he died. You may not know the name but if you've seen any photos of the band from their pre-fame days, there's a good chance Astrid took it; these being some of the most iconic:

image.png.503535e7dfb7e011d2f74084081d8dea.png

image.thumb.png.4ce785ba96b969f74bd8720cfc410de1.png

image.png.018733a91deca6c4360421536177631e.png

Met her briefly years ago when she had a temporary exhibition in town, showing some of the unpublished photos. She was very softly spoken, warm and couldn't be engaging enough even though she was probably answering the same dozen questions for the previous 40 or so years. A small but important part of The Beatles breakthrough.

• Paid Members

I didn’t get to meet Astrid but I met Stuart’s sister Pauline around 1997. I was studying Stuart’s paintings for A-level and there was an exhibition of his work at a gallery in Portobello Road that was owned by Pauline. I got in touch before going there and she gave me a personal tour of his work plus a signed copy of Backbeat. Totally off topic but thought I’d throw that out for the hell of it. 

• Moderators

Ahh, gutted! If he's ever had a bad performance then I haven't seen it. One of those guys that you would always be happy to see pop up in a film or TV show. Two iconic comedy actors in the space of a week.. I know they both had a decent innings but it still really sucks that they aren't around anymore.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Really sad about Fred Willard, very funny man.  His character in Modern Family died this year as well in its final season, which was a heart tugged as he was an incredible dad in it.

• Paid Members

He was so funny in whatever he was in. I always looked forward to when he turned up in a Christopher Guest Documentary. He was an inspired choice as Amy's Dad in Everybody Loves Raymond, and I've just started on Modern Family, and marked out when he turned up as Phil's dad. I have a friend who's going to be devastated about this. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Really sad about Fred Willard, very funny man.  His character in Modern Family died this year as well in its final season, which was a heart tugged as he was an incredible dad in it.

Yep, and we questioned if he was ill at the time. But he always improved the scene he was in, in anything. I loved his commentator in Best in Show as well.