2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

Palmer was also one of the most distinctive voices in TV. There was no mistaking him even in a voice-over, much like Richard Briers, Peter Sallis, or Joanna Lumley. There was this odd kind of authoritative warmth to his voice, it put me in mind of a headteacher that the kids know is a benevolent guy, but nobody fucks with. Probably why he did so many high-status roles. First time I saw him was in Ever Decreasing Circles, but he was just everywhere. I also loved his turn in Armstrong & Miller as the RAF Air Marshall who suddenly starts talking in slang like the two A&M pilots.

To me, he's one of those people I never really thought of as ever not being around, he was just a reassuring presence.

RIP Geoffrey Palmer.

As Time Goes By is, in my opinion, a terribly under appreciated show.

There is an episide where Palmervand Dench are discussing loss and death. Lionel tecalls to Jean a dog he had when working in Africa. Jean asks what hapoened to him and Lionel replies "I shot him"  before explaing that it was because the animal, who he loved, was old and in pain.

Very few sitcoms can or have or even will deal with greif in such a way.

When people discuss fine bodies ofcwork deceased people have left behind this man had an icredible career.

Rest in oeace Geoffrey Palmer.