The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

they did judges way back when for an early title match, and had Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko and Keiji Mutoh as the judges - it didn't amount to anything, which I kind of liked at the time because it subverted your standard wrestling trope of only introducing a new concept because it's going to immediately pay off.

This time around, having the judges kind of highlights the idea that it will go sixty minutes again, and I actually hope that it doesn't - either have Hangman show a little more fire, or even go full "what is the Van Terminator?" and introduce a new finisher to put Danielson away, or have Danielson get overly aggressive and start making mistakes that cost him the match.

Fully hoping that they do the Flair/Funk angle and have one of the judges go into business for themselves to set up a programme with either Hangman or Danielson. I don't know who I'd book in the Terry Funk role, though. As a sucker for old-timer appearances and "one last run" angles, I'm hoping for someone who isn't already in the company (and not Flair!), but drawing blanks on who'd be a good fit. 

Enjoyable enough show, Main Event was good fun. Seeing Sting and CM Punk on the same team is just mad. Something you never thought would happen.

Did the stupid thing of looking at twitter throughout the show. Fuck me there's a lot of people who seem to be weird WWE obsessives who just post anti AEW stuff throughout. Probably goes the same way as well the other side, but I don't keep up with WWE. Wrestling fans are awful.

Edited by Factotum

31 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Dif the stupid thing of looking at twitter throughout the show. Fuck me there's a lot of people who seem to be weird WWE obsessives who just post anti AEW stuff throughout. Probably goes the same way as well the other side, but I don't keep up with WWE. Wrestling fans are awful.

It definitely goes both ways. There's a lot of stupid shit out there. I find somewhere like here far better to properly discuss things rather than Twitter which is quite limited and full of idiots. Obviously there's some decent folk out there (Ian's account is always great) if you can find them but yeah, if you delve into the hashtags and trends then you'll unfortunately wade through the psychos.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Fully hoping that they do the Flair/Funk angle and have one of the judges go into business for themselves to set up a programme with either Hangman or Danielson. I don't know who I'd book in the Terry Funk role, though. As a sucker for old-timer appearances and "one last run" angles, I'm hoping for someone who isn't already in the company (and not Flair!), but drawing blanks on who'd be a good fit. 

Since they went down the international route last time, they could do it again but to debut someone. 

While I think Hangman should win this feud, Okada or Tanahashi could be good calls if Danielson wins. Actually, Danielson doing something dodgy and Tanahashi standing up to him could be a great mini-feud starter if Danielson loses. 

That said, Jericho would be the most obvious shout, and it would make for a logical next step for Hangman. 

22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Since they went down the international route last time, they could do it again but to debut someone. 

While I think Hangman should win this feud, Okada or Tanahashi could be good calls if Danielson wins. Actually, Danielson doing something dodgy and Tanahashi standing up to him could be a great mini-feud starter if Danielson loses. 

That said, Jericho would be the most obvious shout, and it would make for a logical next step for Hangman. 

Probably too early on but would be a great way to have Moxley return as he could be there just as a judge and then snap on a winning hangman post match ala Funk.

• Paid Members

Put Dustin in as one of the judges if we have the judge goes into business for themselves angle? If Cody does go heel, eventually, when hell freezes over, surely his brother will go with him as they've had each others backs in AEW pretty much since day 1. Could have Dustin mention how he's never had his shot and after all these years of doing what the fans want now he wants what he deserves. 

I realise fantasy booking is awful and reading that back it's not my greatest idea but I just want a Dustin main event feud for all the recognition he deserves for his career and Cowboy vs Cowboy sounds perfect. 

48 minutes ago, Chris B said:

January 5th any NJPW talent worth anything will be busy due to Wrestle Kingdom.

• Paid Members

Japanese border restrictions would make it harder to do business with NJPW at the moment too, I'm sure. I imagine half the reason NJPW are doing a "NJPW vs. NOAH" gimmick for night three of Wrestle Kingdom is that none of the western talent they wanted to bring in are able to get into the country, and I would have thought it's not much easier for Japanese talent to go back and forth from Japan to the US.

Has Adam Cole ever beaten anyone with the Panama Sunrise? I don’t just mean in just NXT or AEW, I mean anywhere ever. Or is that part of the schtick?

Oh, Kyle O’Reilys here now. Whoop dee doo 

I’m fine with the judges thing as it gives the implication that the match could go 60 Minutes again. I don’t think it will, but it presents the possibility that it could.

Back in the Monday Night Wars, whenever WCW were in North Carolina, there was always the chance that Kevin Greene was going to turn up and I was hoping for him to do so here in some capacity. Then I remembered that he passed away last year.

Dan Lambert hates AEW yet continues to follow them around the country week in week out because reasons.

Main event was a decent watch if a bit long, but I’d say this fell well below the standard that AEW have set themselves, and as a result the crowd seemed to be really disinterested for large portions of the show. 
The guy with the Nyla sign can go fuck himself and I appreciate that he’s probably in the minority, but it’s just the latest in a number of off-colour moments from fans at shows lately. Not that they’ll do anything about it because they don’t want to be seen as censoring anyone because “that’s what WWE do”, they’ll just wait for it to blow over (see also: Justin Robert’s & Darby Allin allegations,   bringing in named abuser Jay Lethal)

I enjoyed the show, although maybe just having it on one screen while I was working on the other two meant I didn't notice the negatives so much. Thought the main event was lots of fun. The crowd were iffy, for sure. Which is a shame, as I always look forward to AEW hitting all these old JCP towns.

There was, however, no air guitar. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

19 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'd be happy with a Hangman/Miro feud next. Give Page something to sink his teeth into against a strong heel. Get the people behind him more.

I would like that eventually, think Miro needs a feud or two to win first though.

Is he struggling with injuries at the min? He's hardly wrestled since AEW went on the road back in July.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Has Adam Cole ever beaten anyone with the Panama Sunrise? I don’t just mean in just NXT or AEW, I mean anywhere ever. Or is that part of the schtick?

The Panama Sunrise is a shit finish and so is his shitty knee that he does.

The Brainbuster onto the knee is a really fucking brutal and cool move that should be his finisher but he mostly uses it as a transition move, sadly.