The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

51 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Is that not the same thing? It's Coles catchphrases, so if they are over, so is he. The point Louch was making (I believe) is how much of Cole being over is about his catchphrases and the Boom stuff, rather than him as a wrestler. It's an interesting and fair question I thought.

There has been many acts over the years that have been over due to catchphrases / enterances etc more than them specifically. 

That was my point - I read it as being similar to when people would say ‘Daniel Bryan isn’t over, the yes chant is’, or ‘people aren’t booing Vickie Guerrero - they’re booing excuse me’. I misunderstood what he was trying to say, though - so my bad. 

• Paid Members

I can't buy into Adam Cole at all. For a top featured worker, he has one of the worst looks I've ever seen. Perfectly fine if he's part of a comedy trio with the Bucks in the midcard, getting beat up by Jungle Boy. If he becomes a main eventer, which it's pretty obvious that's the idea, then he's a real detraction, for me at least. Even worse that they have added Kyle O'Reilly and previously Bobby Fish to the act. 

As my non fan brother commented this morning when I was watching it:

"Fuck me lad, look at the state of them. How do you still watch this shit." 

I failed in assuring him most of the rest of the roster are a lot more enjoyable. 

34 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

If he becomes a main eventer, which it's pretty obvious that's the idea, then he's a real detraction, for me at least. Even worse that they have added Kyle O'Reilly and previously Bobby Fish to the act.

This is one of the good/bad things about AEW depending on your point of view. He's already a main eventer.

He's on all the posters except Battle of the Belts https://www.allelitewrestling.com/aew-events

TV wise he's usually in the first or last match. PPVs are so few and far between it's hard for anyone to hog the spotlight on that front.

It's just they rotate through many people in the same way.

• Paid Members

I liked the teasing of the dissention with the Bucks and Cole during the first match. Sets things up nicely for Kenny to come back, or they could even transition Hangman into the situation if the Bucks become the faces? 

Danielson's promo was incredible. There's no way the second match is going 60 minutes as well. Page fired back nicely as well. 

That Wardlow face turn is going to be pretty special when it happens. 

That guy mugging to the camera behind Dan Lambert looked like he was having a great time. 

That women's match was boring. I still can't help but think Jade Cargill will get to the final, and that might not be a great match either. I'm looking forward to more Serena Deeb & Hikaru Shida, though.

Lost it at Sting's Punk facepaint and Punk's Sting facepaint and tights. Darby's Sting paint was cool as well. 

I wonder whether JR will only be on shows from Jacksonville/Florida for now while he recovers from his cancer treatment and they can keep Taz handy for the other shows. 

40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I liked the teasing of the dissention with the Bucks and Cole during the first match. Sets things up nicely for Kenny to come back, or they could even transition Hangman into the situation if the Bucks become the faces?

If they wanted to keep the Bucks heel, there is another Elite member out there that fans love to boo in Cody.

40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether JR will only be on shows from Jacksonville/Florida for now while he recovers from his cancer treatment and they can keep Taz handy for the other shows.

His radiotherapy finishes the day of the Dynamite show in Jacksonville. It wouldn't shock me if he's back on the road from then on as it will just be check ups. Initially he was talking about going on the road during his treatment until he realised how unworkable that would be with daily sessions.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, 69MeDon said:

I'm here to make a Christmas Eve wrestling TV ratings prediction:

By this time next year, Dynamite will be beating Raw in THE DEMO pretty much every week.

If that happens, it will more than likely be that Raw has lost viewers than Dynamite has gained them. If the tide hasn't turned already after probably the best two years worth of shows since the mid-90's and Raw probably being at its worst ever, those people still tuning into Raw each week are either kids, die-hards who will never leave regardless, or hate watchers who watch both Dynamite and Raw every week just to complain about one or both shows. 

People are at home with more time than ever on their hands to watch wrestling, and the spike in watchers is still not there. Other than Dynamite going head to head with Raw, I don't see how that will change with them being on different nights. 

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me about the ratings system will probably counteract my point, but I just can't see it unless WWE really go downhill and I don't know what else they can do to drive fans away than what they already are.

I'll be interested to see how AEW's ratings do over the next year. Dynamite has been pretty consistent which isn't a bad thing by any means but you'd think they would hope to grow the audience. As far as I can tell there hasn't been a huge amount of that. Would over a million all the time be the real test?