The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, boshealecta said:

Watched a film called Queenpins on Prime last night (was ok) but a character in it watched AEW wrestling. Then he matched with a girl on Tinder who’s profile pic was her at an AEW gig. Not that interesting but didn’t have anyone else to tell lol

I’m pretty sure it was because Paul Walter Hauser is a big wrestling fan and asked to put it in. 

• Paid Members

There's been quite a few dubious at best signs recently that make you wonder how they get on TV so prominently. I know WWE are heavy handed with confiscating signs, but if it stops shit like that, then I'm all for it. 

Sting with CM Punk face paint, while CM Punk wrestles in Sting long tights, an idea so out there it’d never make a fantasy booking thread on here for fear of derision. Yet it worked haha

I kept meaning to bring this up but wanted to wait to see if he showed first. Kyle O'Reilly making his debut to help Adam Cole just makes no sense to me. Everyone was going on about him coming in to team up with Cole and/or Fish, and sure they could show a little tension to come to iron things out, but they had a months-long blood feud the last time we saw them on TV together. O'Reilly felt like he had to drive Cole out of NXT to move forward, and the first chance he gets, he ups and leaves go to back into the same position in another company.

You can add on the level of "Well, everyone who's watching knows they're mates in real life," but then why should I get invested watching ANY months-long blood feud? We last saw them both in another company, fine, but it just feels totally off to me. I've started to enjoy Cole in shorter matches in AEW, and even Fish as his back-up, but I'm not sure if I wanna see another couple of years of Undisputed Era trios matches before yet another big split. We'll see! I know, I'm overthinking it...

Anyway, I really liked the main event. They got plenty time, any weaknesses anyone had were kept at bay, there were some scary moments (as usual with Allin, but jeez that MJF toss out the ring, eek!) and a fun ending. The opener was decent, but Orange Cassidy makes so many stupid decisions for a babyface, in and out of the ring, just to wind up his opponents but more often than not he gets battered for it.

Looking forward to Hangman/Danielson 2, I'm gonna go with a Hangman victory around the 38-minute mark. What about you?

37 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I kept meaning to bring this up but wanted to wait to see if he showed first. Kyle O'Reilly making his debut to help Adam Cole just makes no sense to me. Everyone was going on about him coming in to team up with Cole and/or Fish, and sure they could show a little tension to come to iron things out, but they had a months-long blood feud the last time we saw them on TV together. O'Reilly felt like he had to drive Cole out of NXT to move forward, and the first chance he gets, he ups and leaves go to back into the same position in another company.

You can add on the level of "Well, everyone who's watching knows they're mates in real life," but then why should I get invested watching ANY months-long blood feud? We last saw them both in another company, fine, but it just feels totally off to me. I've started to enjoy Cole in shorter matches in AEW, and even Fish as his back-up, but I'm not sure if I wanna see another couple of years of Undisputed Era trios matches before yet another big split. We'll see! I know, I'm overthinking it...

It's a difficult one. How far do you go back if you want continuity? Like for example, I really liked the fact Malakai Black turned up with his eye the way he did rather than just like that stuff never happened. It was one of those attention to detail moments that I really appreciated. But do you do that with everyone to that level?

Cole, Fish, O'Reilly, Bucks, Omega.. that's a twisted relationship that goes back through NXT, ROH, PWG, Bullet Club.. and many turns on each other along the way! It's about finding that balance of respecting the past for fans that have followed these people for years all the way back, some that may have only been introduced to them in NXT, and there are fans now that have probably only really heard of them by name and never really watched them.

It's a tough call. But I imagine it could make booking a hell of a lot harder if you made a 100% decision to follow continuity from other companies before these people got to AEW. And to be honest, if it means we're not getting another O'Reilly/Cole feud at the moment then whatever the logic behind his debut is - it's the bloody right one.

• Paid Members

A bad show this week with a fucking awful crowd. Hopefully they don't return to North Carolina anytime soon. I liked the main event but nothing else.

AEW as a whole feels like they've lost that buzz they had in the summer/autumn. Feels like they're spinning their wheels in a lot of ways and not much is going anywhere. I don't know if they're holding back on stuff til the TBS debut but barely anyone on the show has any real momentum at the moment. They've got a dream roster and tons of dream matches and exciting feuds to pick from but they scared to pull the trigger on them for some reason. They desperately need a few good angles to spice things up. Instead we've got Dan Lambert doing the same old shit every week.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

CM Punk having West Ham face paint was a sight I never thought I'd see but glad I have. Enjoyable main event, but felt for poor MJF with that hard landing he took to the outside. Ouch.

I thought it was a good episode. Really enjoyed the opener, and especially the end with the tension of the Bucks and Fish/Cole/O'Riely.

Glad to see that idiot in the front row get ejected for that sign. Poor Ruby though, not sure what she did, but she looked in agony after the jacket incident. Nice video package for the Owen Hart cup, i'll await the snide comments on that later i'm sure.

Griff had a good match but it was never in doubt the winner there. Wardlow looking good in another squash and the tension with MJF I am looking forward to seeing more of in 2022. 

Also good that Danielson/Page II is happening on the TBS debut. Not sure about the judge stipulation mind you.

There’s something about Kyle o’Reilly that I just can’t get on board with. He’s still dressed a bit like Kyle O’Sk8rBoi, only now he’s doing LowKi facials? Nah, I’ll pass.

Show was okay, I guess.

I thought the opener was fine and the main event was pretty good.

I do think the risk they’re taking with Punk - letting him find his feet by doing a tour of the upper mid and mid card before putting him in the title fights - might backfire. The guy is starting to look tired again, he’s put a little weight on and has cupping marks across his lower back. I reckon it’s not long before they have to manage his minutes.

Still, the main event was a fun ‘happy Christmas’ match so fine.

Part of me wants Danielson/Page to go the distance and have the match scored a draw just so wrestling fans have to suffer what boxing fans do. Either that, or Danielson has a judge in his pocket and we get a Bob Backlund style figure with Danielson as Champ going forward.

I thought Page’s promo was good. He’s still not on Danielson’s level, but he found some fire. Only mis-steps for me were suggesting BETTER gimmick matches than the judges gimmick, and needlessly calling the soon-to-be-announced judges ‘pricks’. That was weird.