The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Actually looking forward to a Jericho/Kingston feud. Kingston will drag something fresh out of Jericho and won't let him go to the old cheesy jokes well. The match will be good too as both will work to their strengths. 

Why are Fish and O'Reilly called Red Dragon when they don't wear red?

As big as the roster is it feels a little bit lacking in star power at the moment. Scrubs like Brian Pillman Jr should be on Dark where they belong. Looking forward to Miro, Moxley, Andrade and Pac getting back in the mix.

Hopefully Jade doesn't win next week and takes some time away from TV. She has more upside than anyone in years but is still green as grass. Six months off TV back in training will do her a world of good.

Edited by LaGoosh

I thought that was a poor show. The multi-man matches were really scruffy and felt like everyone was rushing, all 3 of them; the Punk segment was directionless; Cargill/Rosa was crap and the Adam Lambert/Brandi stuff was more needles ‘SHOOTROAST!’ crap that they’re in danger of becoming obsessed with.

Somehow, though, the thing I hated most was the way O’Reilly braced for chops. Idiot.

Agree with Goosh about the lack of star power. They need to plot out their shows better and make sure they feel balanced with enough big names throughout.

• Paid Members

I think we are getting to the stage where Tony thinks that likes of O'Reilly are star power. Any more guff signings will tip the balance the other way I think. No danger Fish, O'Reilly, Rotunda could or should be considered big enough stars to be prominent. 

Just now, Suplex Sinner said:

I think we are getting to the stage where Tony thinks that likes of O'Reilly are star power. Any more guff signings will tip the balance the other way I think. No danger Fish, O'Reilly, Rotunda could or should be considered big enough stars to be prominent. 

He definitely needs to keep the balance between actually running a successful top quality wrestling company and just showing that he can acquire everyone and making his dream e-fed come to life that he used to wank over. We've seen how that goes for WWE. I think we know that guys like Fish and O'Reilly etc have a place but they're not the guys that'll be taking AEW to the next level. Tony needs to make smart choices with all the talent he has now. NXT was successful to a point but it had a level, and a lot of the talent needs nurturing and being used right or else AEW will stay at a level too. Not that consistency is bad per se but they must have bigger aims than that.

O’reilly from what I have seen last week and last night looks a terrible signing. As someone who’s never seen him wrestle before, he’s pale, chubby and looked tiny in the ring with Trent of all people. His face mugging that’s all jaw as he comes out look like he’s taken a bad pill and is reminiscent of every Shindy worker across the uk. I get his purpose to give the who’s side is Cole on, but on first impressions he’s most things I hate about wrestlers. I don’t see what he adds other than being a body in that story, as the tag division is bloated and underused enough without another team that look to add nothing that wasn’t there 

Just now, Louch said:

O’reilly from what I have seen last week and last night looks a terrible signing. As someone who’s never seen him wrestle before, he’s pale, chubby and looked tiny in the ring with Trent of all people. His face mugging that’s all jaw as he comes out look like he’s taken a bad pill and is reminiscent of every Shindy worker across the uk. I get his purpose to give the who’s side is Cole on, but on first impressions he’s most things I hate about wrestlers. I don’t see what he adds other than being a body in that story, as the tag division is bloated and underused enough without another team that look to add nothing that wasn’t there 

I’m amazed AEW are leaning so heavily into the Undisputed Era. They were so shite they got Triple H the sack.

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I've just read that AEW now have 122 wrestlers signed on their main roster page now Martinez has officially signed with the company, not including the unsigned Dark workers, that's surely a few too many? You would expect there may be some releases at some point in the coming months? 

To be fair, they do a good job of cycling people, but each week there seems to be someone signing officially with the company or debuting on Dark etc and with people like Keith Lee etc still unsigned along with the ROH lot that have recently been let go, surely some people are going to have to make way soon? 

The 122 seems to be lifted from the official website's Roster page. Which has always been a little deceptive. Currently splits into 99 Men and 23 Women.

Chavo Guerrero, Mark Henry, Mr Brodie Lee, Mr Brodie Lee Jr. are 4 obvious names that aren't really on the active roster. Look at those that double up with BTS jobs and you're losing another decent chunk. Then there's the mix of JTTS, pet projects, and Jake Hager :) 

I just had a look at who NJPW have on their official roster since that's more the route AEW go down with factions, veterans, and young boys. They've got 95 wrestlers on their roster page. That's a mix of NJ and NJoA guys with even some AEW guys on it still.

• Paid Members

The 122 on the roster page is purely from Men and Women, not including factions etc. Granted, Henry, Guerrero, Brodie and Brodie Jr shouldn't be counted, but 118 is still a high figure for a company with 3 hours of TV time a week. 

Whether they are pet projects or JTTS, they are still under a contract with the company. 

10 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The 122 on the roster page is purely from Men and Women, not including factions etc. Granted, Henry, Guerrero, Brodie and Brodie Jr shouldn't be counted, but 118 is still a high figure for a company with 3 hours of TV time a week. 

Whether they are pet projects or JTTS, they are still under a contract with the company. 

They're under contract but that doesn't mean they expect to be on TV.  All contracts are not created equal. Guys like Peter Avalon, Serpentico, and Feugo Del Sol are probably thrilled by a low guarantee to supplement their indy income and a bigger spotlight that being associated with AEW brings.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m amazed AEW are leaning so heavily into the Undisputed Era. They were so shite they got Triple H the sack.

“But AEW will use them properly!” seems to be the common answer to that from some. The same people who spend the last two years saying that NXT* and everyone on it is well shit are the same ones now saying that Cole, O’Reily et al are going to take the industry to new heights.

Yikes, that Rosa/Cargill match was horrible. Absolute crickets for Mercedes Martinez too.

Are people unable to run-in and make the save unless their music plays? That’s not just an AEW thing, it’s a trope that plagues a lot of places and it happened twice on this show within 40minutes of each other.

We all know that Vince McMahon is as mad as a box of frogs and has a “banned list of words” which includes terms such as ‘title’ and ‘strap’. Well I want AEW to have one too, and the first two words on it are ‘shit’ and ‘bitch’.

Chuck Taylor and Trent Baretta in the main event, fuck me.

Hopefully the TBS debut produces something because the last month or so of TV has been pretty ropey on the whole

*Admittedly, NXT has been a bit shit since it decided to go head to head with AEW

I don't think I've ever said this about anything AEW has done intentionally: that Brandi/Lambert stuff was FUCKING HORRENDOUS. I was physically cringing at some of Brandi's lines (didn't she use the same "who told you it was open mic night...?" line on Jade Cargill?). Oh, that was bad.

Now fucking Dan Lambert is getting babyface pops!

The aimless Cody bollocks is indefensible at this point. Between that all time bad Brandi segment and the return of Chris "isn't the cunt on tour yet?" Jericho, it wasn't the best episode for the holiday spirit.

Decent show otherwise, but I can't help feeling the addition of Rampage has had a knock-on effect on Dynamites quality the last few months. I'd say it's a lack of focus more than lack of starpower.

Does Sammy have backstage heat or something? Looked like a complete dork after his loss.