The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Hangman on top of the ladder taking a swig on his beer might be the image of the year. Pops me every time I watch it. Magical stuff. It just hits and resonates on another level when a character is on their journey to the top. You feel that emotional weight. That he's such a cool, relatable, handsome bastard makes him all the more special. Great to see The Hangman back.

I'm not going to pretend I'm an Adam Cole fan but he's got the important stuff down. Good looks, presence, banging hot entrance, daft catchphrases, looks cool in a leather jacket. Sorted. I still die a little inside when Luchasaurus bumps for his kicks, but whatever. My favourite thing about the opener was the big dumb dinosaur getting a louder response than Bryan Danielson. He's like a cow on ice skates but he's so goddam lovable!

JR's picked his game up post-pandemic and he's been far more of a positive than a negative. Still, I can't stand him bringing attention to the lack of tags and rule enforcement during the multi-man matches. Completely takes me out of it. I thought the Rick Knox and Young Bucks shenanigans were part of some kind of story, with him being their inside guy. But nah. Just let them break all the rules in the universe.

Never knew that about Darby's face paint. Nice layer to his character that. One of the most refreshing things about AEW is their trust and belief in their youth. No walking on eggshells. No "humbling" or "testing" period bullshit. No gimmick from the toybox you have to stick with. No "I'm happy to be here"! bollocks. 20 year old Dante Martin looking straight down the camera and asking for a fight was like a jolt of lightning. 

If the TBS title wasn't invented for Serena Deeb to have different matches every week then I don't know what we're doing. Deeb nixing Shida's soppy chair spot is why she's the best. 

Fuck me though, Arn Anderson! Honestly, god bless AEW for rehabbing The Enforcer's career. Arn sadly falling on his arse the other week has been completely forgotten now that he's the coolest, baddest, maddest fucker in wrestling. I've never lived vicariously through a wrestler as much as when Arn slapped the shit of Cody. Go on!! 

Cody's current path is fascinating. Cody as the top villain world champion is absolute money. Cody digging his heels in as a babyface? Fuck off, mate.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:46 AM, Pinc said:

A Cody heel turn just in time for him to be Hangman’s first feud as Champion would be great. Would obviously involve ripping up the no-title-shot stip, but that’d only add to the heat.

While I think, in the grand scheme of things, the stipulation (at such an early stage of AEW’s existence, at least) was a bad idea, if they were to go back on it, I think they’d have to put the title on him.

However, although I used to feel differently about this, I’m not sure they should. Why would, for example, Tony Khan allow Cody to go back on his word? Sticking to the stipulation is something that they can point to as evidence that their stipulations matter, and have long term ramifications. If you know they count, you’ll be invested when stipulations like this are put in place.

• Paid Members

I suppose you'd need to find a logical loophole somewhere. Cody doing something so dastardly to the current champion that they demand to face him, and the only way he agrees is with the belt on the line or some other such chicanery. they've certainly booked themselves into a corner if they do wish to have Cody challenge, but it's wrestling there's always a way around a stipulation.  The question is, as always, whether the explanation for breaking that stipulation is satisfactory or not. 

I believe it's a moot point though, as I genuinely don't think Cody is turning heel while he has his big reality show, nor do I think he'll go back on that stipulation for a long, long time. 

• Paid Members

The stipulation was self imposed by Cody, I don't think it's an official AEW stipulation in the story. He could go back on it easily but it would be framed as him going back on his word - a great heel move, not AEW going back on its stipulation. 

I think Cody should turn heel but plays it as if he's a mega babyface the whole time. Cheating to win then cutting emotional babyface promos where he cries while everyone boos him. In theory it's potentially great...except Cody isn't a particularly good wrestler so it might all fall apart come match time.

22 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The stipulation was self imposed by Cody, I don't think it's an official AEW stipulation in the story. He could go back on it easily but it would be framed as him going back on his word - a great heel move, not AEW going back on its stipulation. 

To me, that's a flimsy justification - AEW promoted the stipulation, therefore, I'd argue, making it official - retroactively turning it into Cody breaking a promise doesn't sit right with me. 

If Cody becomes a phenomenal heel, not having the ability to challenge for the World Title is certainly limiting, so if they actually were going to do this, I think they'd have to find a clever and logical way of removing the stip. Even then, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of them just dropping it. I think, on reflection, the stipulation was a bad idea, but I also don't think they should go back on it. It would have been more effective if it had been imposed on an older wrestler, such as Jericho or Dustin, really heightening the emotional impact of the end result. 

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Cody's a comic book nerd, right? There's a reason he decided to dress up just like Homelander from The Boys.

Cody could form a wrestling version of The 7, which includes a newly heel-but-thinks-he's-a-face CM Punk beating people up while saying "I'm here to help!"

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Tony Khan confirmed Page/Omega will be the main event at Full Gear in an interview, can't find the clips on Twitter again though 

https://411mania.com/wrestling/kenny-omega-vs-hangman-page-will-happen-at-full-gear-tony-gear-says-owen-hart-tournament-announcement-is-coming-soon/

If that's where we're headed I'm all in. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner