The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Hangman and Mox going toe to toe for the closing stretch of the ladder match was great. A pissed off Mox, citing his lack of a rematch as the first challenger for Hangman on PPV sounds good to me. 

Couple that with Omega vs Danielson in a rematch, and it's a high level main and co-main for any PPV. 

Absolutely loved that Malakai Black and Dante Martin angle. Just superb. And the match should be a cracker. 

I'm really not buying the idea of Punk & Danielson tagging any time soon, they've both made it real clear that they're heading in different directions.

What an ending, what a pop, what a fucking man. The brawls with Mox felt like they were partly there to gauge the reaction, I can see a full on fued there at some point with Mox being more and more heelish recently.

I can't remember the last time a wrestling promotion has had me literally pumping my arms in the air before AEW. AEW does it all the time now. Hangman returning was great - made even more great by the fact that I accidently saw Buddy Matthews post "Why so serious?" on Twitter and was half thinking the joker was going to be him.

I love this company, man.

5 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

The genius of wrestling is "what the people want" should be what the company has made the fans want.

Reminds me, I think it was Terry Funk who once said in a Power Slam interview something along the lines of. 

The best wrestler is who the booker wants the fans to think is the best. 

Wise words imo. 

• Awards Moderator

What a great episode of wrestling. The opener was electric, the booing over the top of Dan Lambert was really fun, Deeb and Shida had a great match, and I was well into the main event and all the interactions it produced... and then Hangman. Hangman Hangman Hangman. That reaction! Goosebumps and a lump in the throat and possibly a little shriek of joy from me. And then he went and WON IT and it was glorious.

Coming on here to read they’ve signed Bobby Fish to a contract is admittedly a comedown (it really does feel like they have more than enough people now) but Dynamite was, well, dynamite this week. Bring me Rampage!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

That opener was fantastic fun. Adam Cole continues to be a complete revelation since jumping ship. He’s a thousand times more enjoyable. Keep your thirty false finishes and give me one spot where he teases doing a big dive, then just does the, “ADAM COLE BAY BAY!” thing instead. I’ve never seen anyone look more chuffed with themselves. Amazing.

You are such a slut. Dropping your knickers for this gimp so quickly! He's still a shitarse. Fucking comedy facials that Brian Dixon would tell him to tone down a bit. Matchstick arms. That Panama Sunrise thing. The Bucks doing that stupid kissing spot. I mean, they're heels, so it works that they're completely unbearable but he could fuck off tomorrow and it wouldn't be a shame. 

PVZ is brilliant. That first time she was on (I think) when Jericho was cutting his promo, she was absolutely magnetic with her taunting and piss-taking. You can't take your eyes off her. Turned up in a trackie this week looking like a scouse Miss World. She's got everything. If she can work, she's gonna be huge.

I know it's been said before but f**k me lads the bunny is stealing a living. Every time that HFO music hits it's an instant channel turner. With the stacked roster they have how are these goobers getting so much time! Disappointing after a couple of solid shows that had no filler.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

You are such a slut. Dropping your knickers for this gimp so quickly! He's still a shitarse. Fucking comedy facials that Brian Dixon would tell him to tone down a bit. Matchstick arms. That Panama Sunrise thing. The Bucks doing that stupid kissing spot. I mean, they're heels, so it works that they're completely unbearable but he could fuck off tomorrow and it wouldn't be a shame. 

Whilst I think it’s a combination of things (fresh environment, new opponents not called Johnny Gargano, he and Jungle Boy having great chemistry, him no longer wrestling in a pitch black warehouse), I think it’s that fun, meta, revelling-in-the-stupidity-of-it-all style that’s been the real clincher in me changing my tune with him. It’s a style the Young Bucks have mastered and it’s been a delight watching him join in. This idea of, “look, we’re really fucking good, and we could play everything super serious and work the body part and do the shocked face and look at our hands in disbelief, or we could just have a laugh, do you want to have a laugh with us?” It’s super infectious. I’ve laughed every time they do that stupid kissing spot. I’ll probably burst with joy when someone inevitably counters it and knocks their heads off.

In retrospect, I probably could’ve enjoyed his NXT run the same, all the near-fall spamming and stupid bouncing Canadian Destroyers, if -you know - someone actually remembered pro-wrestling is supposed to be fun. Who could have guessed a simple shift of tone could be so powerful. Fuck off Shawn and Hunter’s amateur dramatics and stop trying to make everything, “epic~!” Just show me guys having a good time, doing daft, creative stuff, and always on the brink of corpsing. It’s a winner.

This one shot of him smugly having the time of his life being a complete fucking idiot? Better than every NXT main event he had combined.

D046072D-92A4-40FB-9ACE-EFAD1AE4E429.thumb.png.ba9d0ef5f5910a6da073bdc590f628ef.png

The way things are going, I think Johnny Gargano is going to jump to AEW and be  wrestler of the year in 2022. It’s like he mentally jumped ship a year ago without telling anyone and has been auditioning ever since. Ridiculously entertaining, daft, silly dope who’ll make you laugh and then deliver a scorcher when needed. Welcome to the party, pal.

Edited by Supremo

A really fun show, and it was interesting that they didn't turn the anniversary show into something more nostalgic, with clips of big Dynamite moments etc. I understand why they didn't, but I'd have been all on board for that. It would have been nice to relive Le Dinner Debonair, Brodie winning the TNT title, Cody jumping off the cage to attack Wardlow, Britt/Thunder Rosa etc. 

Not that not doing this was a negative, or anything like that. 

Adam Cole has also won me over. He has good chemistry with The Bucks, and also with Jungle Boy, and his addition to The Elite is really interesting from a storyline perspective, and the intrigue can surely only grow if Omega loses the title and Cole gains a title shot, which I think will eventually happen. 

I'm really interested to see when Page decides to use his title shot. I'd been all on board for Danielson/Omega II, but Page's return gave me goosebumps. His theme song might be my favourite in wrestling today, I really hope they don't switch it for something licensed any time soon. 

It feels like there's so much to look forward to in AEW right now. The prospect of The Bucks vs. Danielson/Punk at the PPV is really exciting, I can't wait for Christian's eventual heel turn on Jungle Boy, and the Jericho/Hager vs. MOTY feud has been great fun. The Cody/Arn stuff is also really interesting, I'm intrigued at where it's going. 

And is there a cooler character in wrestling right now than Malaki Black? The thought of the lights going out, and Black appearing in the ring with AEW Champion Adam Page at some point down the line is really f'ng exciting. 

• Paid Members

On the Adam Cole debate, its pretty similar to the Bray Wyatt / Charlotte / *insert hated current WWE wrestler* in that people seem to change their view as soon as AEW are brought into the conversation. In the same way that football fans hate certain players, until they sign for their team, then they are the best thing since sliced bread. Whether its consciously or sub-consciously, it changes your view depending on your views of the company / team. 

I don't see much difference with AEW Adam Cole to NXT Adam Cole, other than he's lower down the card and having shorter matches. Gargano has been called a shitarse, boring, the epitome of NXT for the last few years, now there are rumours his contract is coming up, I guarantee the way people talk about him changes and it becomes more a case of it being him being held back etc. 

That's not just exclusive to people moving from WWE to AEW, its the same for pretty much all aspects of sport. Unless its The Good Brothers, they are just shite wherever they go. 

• Paid Members

If you think people praising Gargano is only due to him potentially moving to AEW then I can only assume you haven’t been watching him in NXT. He’s become the funniest man in that company since probably late last year. Him getting mad at William Regal, stealing his pencil and running off into the night remains the highlight of his entire NXT run.

Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson was good but it won’t be a patch on the inevitable dream skit involving Johnny Gargano and Brandon Cutler.

Edited by Supremo