The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Another brilliant, brilliant moment.

It's funny when you know exactly how something should go down but you see all the ridiculous predictions and ideas and I think most are just born out of years of disappointments and "didn't see that coming did ya?" moments. And then it just delivers what it should and it's brilliant. They get this so right, so often. 

At some point they need to Fuck us so we don’t always just expect exactly what we want. But I’m sure they will do it on the right thing, than just spoil something really feel good 

• Paid Members

I mean I think most AEW fans were pleased as punch at the ending, as they should. The absolute right result in a fun ladder match. RIP PAC though, that bump was sick.

I know it had a few notches, but loved that opener. Best Luchasauraus has looked since his early injury when, at the time, he looked like he could be a breakout star. Rest of the show was fun and the woman’s match shocked me with the result. Just shows how AEW is unpredictable against the WWE machine we’ve all gotten accustomed too. 

The crowd was so into hangman, they booed Mox whenever he laid his hands on him. Just brilliant he’s kept them onside despite his losses, shows the connection his character has built the last 2 years. 

skimmed the show earlier to get to the ladder match, a lotta segments on this weeks show so be careful skipping the ad breaks as could be easy to miss a few 

12 minutes ago, Louch said:

At some point they need to Fuck us so we don’t always just expect exactly what we want. But I’m sure they will do it on the right thing, than just spoil something really feel good 

I agree with this. Giving people what they want every single time makes them spoilt. Sure, YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! most of the time, but for the sake of a little unpredictability in storytelling it needs to be done. Also- not that it's happened yet in AEW- but being crowd-pleasing at every single point could lead to over the top kickoffs when something doesn't quite go their way. As loyal and passionate as the AEW fanbase is, it wouldn't take much for that passion to turn into something toxic. We saw shades of it at Revolution when they fucked up on the explosion stunt.

To use a little anecdote, I babysat my friend's kid last year. She spoills him rotten, and he can be a right little shit sometimes. When he stayed over, he was asking to play with things on my shelves. I said no, because he might break them. It'd be very unlikely that he would have, but I wanted him to understand immediately that no was an option. Throughout the night, he'd ask to do things- some I'd say yes, some I'd say no. When it came down to it, he was better behaved that night than I'd ever seen him be with his mum.

Don't spoil kids. Or wrestling fans.

15 minutes ago, Louch said:

At some point they need to Fuck us so we don’t always just expect exactly what we want. 

Thing is, it's exactly what we want because it's logical storytelling. We've had our disappointment already with Hangman, anybody other than him being the Joker just wouldn't have worked. I'm proper excited typing this.

Absolute goosebumps with him and Moxley trading strikes, not even exaggerating that I instantly got Rock/ Austin "My Way" vibes. Has Page ever looked so much like a main eventer? He looked like a fucking megastar in there.

13 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I agree with this. Giving people what they want every single time makes them spoilt. Sure, YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! most of the time, but for the sake of a little unpredictability in storytelling it needs to be done.

Isn't this exactly what they did when Hangman lost the five on five?

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I agree with this. Giving people what they want every single time makes them spoilt. Sure, YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! most of the time, but for the sake of a little unpredictability in storytelling it needs to be done.

AEW doesn't always give the people what they want. Everyone wanted Page and the Dark Order to beat the The Elite a while back but they lost.

You can do something unpredictable in storytelling but as long as it makes sense people will generally be ok with it even if it doesn't exactly go the way they wanted it to. Sometimes what the audience wants isn't necessarily what they need. However in wrestling where storytelling is very basic and simple for the most part and based upon live crowd interaction it generally makes sense to give them what is most obvious and logical. Especially when you're a new company trying to build an audience to trust and have faith in you. People only really kick off when they don't get what they want when what they are given instead is shit (see WWE for the past 10 years for a million examples).

15 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Isn't this exactly what they did when Hangman lost the five on five?

9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

AEW doesn't always give the people what they want. Everyone wanted Page and the Dark Order to beat the The Elite a while back but they lost.

Yeah, I know. Was speaking more to the general point that was being made, that "ain't AEW great? They just give us what we want" isn't necessarily a positive. And Hangman losing that 5 on 5 was a good example of the point I was making too- that occasional letdown helps the story along rather than the more straight-forward path of "Hangman gets no. 1 contendership, Hangman faces Kenny, Hangman wins". The reaction for Hangman was massive, BECAUSE he had the wind taken out of his sails and everyone knew this ladder match was his path to get it back.

I mean, Hangman was definitely over before, but who could have seen him getting that kind of monster pop as a top guy when guys like CM Punk and Bryan Danielson are in that tier? Or Moxley getting booed for beating him up- in Philly!