The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Old man Arn is great. I know gun references freak people, but lots of other shows have it and while a tad extreme, coming out of Arn's voice it sounded less jarring and more 'well, would you fuck with him really'. Bout time Double A landed one. The idea that Cody is soft of his wrestling career but still thinks he can long promo another match with Black is good. In a way, Black is living rent free. 

All for Sammy winning. Miro's run was not about feuds, but about being a scary dominant champion. I loved the finish, Sammy refusing to die and Miro going full movie monster at the end, ripping off the pads while angry but wounded enough to sort of panic. The finish sequence was like watching the health bar of a boss get depleted. 

Darby taking a deep breath as MJF says the worst schoolyard abuse he can think of, only to have it no sold and MJF's backs off like an embarrassed bully. Lovely stuff. That feud should really be something special. 

The big Dark Order tag started looking a mess but by the end just became a great spot. Everyone in the DO has really delivered and I love the theme of older veterans and the younger lads falling out over their mates instructions. We didn't get Hangman but having -1 & THE EXALTED MOM turn up to hand out bollockings was great. John Silvers big mad combo at the end. God he's lovely. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

The segment right before it showed them all hugging while Excalibur is saying how they have reconciled as they host - 1 up and all pose.  

Its almost like its filmed out of order and those comments should be made before they made up and got back together

Did you miss the part of the match where Alex accidentally hit Uno and they stormed up the ramp? The dissent in the group has been played up for weeks across the various shows

That show was...weird. Some good matches and stuff but MJF talking about Bruce fucking Pritchard was weird, the commentary seemed weird, stuff like that. I really don't need to hear quite so many references to the other company. There were a few during this show.

• Awards Moderator

JR sounded like he got really into the main event this week, which was lovely to hear.

Adam Cole’s kept his “shocked they kicked out” face from those interminable NXT matches, but other than that I enjoyed the match with Jungle Boy very much. JB’s getting better and better the more he interacts with the veterans and upper card types.

Nice to see such a young lad drag Adam Cole to a great match, but jokes aside that show was a really good way of pushing "The Four Pillars" (Misawa is rolling elbowing in his grave) of AEW. I'm 50/50 on MJF's cheap-heat promos but this one stuck, can't wait to see him eventually murdered with a Coffin Drop in some mental way.

I'm not sure about the presentation of CM Punk.. I'll wait it out but there is that scent of him being watered down too much too soon. I dunno.

Edited by Merzbow

Found it brilliant that after all the speculation and theories that Wyatt would debut or Hangman would come back to bring peace and order to Dark Order and in the end it was Brodie's wife who had the final say in talking sense into Uno, Colt and Stu to get back and help the rest of the team, also the throwback of Neg 1 doing his dad's paper throwing bit from BTE and Uno selling it was *chef's kiss*

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm not sure about the presentation of CM Punk.. I'll wait it out but there is that scent of him being watered down too much too soon. I dunno.

Its lovely having him back but he definitely needs tweaking to work as a medium-to-long term character eh? I think they'll have a few goes at landing on a babyface character but sooner or later we're going to get Punk as sellout heel. It just makes too much sense for them to never go to that well.

• Paid Members

According to news sources (and no surprise at all really), but Tony Khan has taken total control of creative now and the EVP's are no longer involved. I think that's been obvious there has been a shift with the quality they have been putting out consistently of late. Apparently, Cody was the only person who used to turn up to the creative meetings, which would also explain his stuff feeling like its in a vacuum compared to others. 

Between AEW, Fulham and whatever he does with the Jaguars, Tony is on his way to not sleeping for 6 days and getting 24 hours in one stint. God help him if someone sneezes near him.