The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Brandi was 100% the right person for that first line female figure. She was the highest profile given her allegiance with Cody, and was all over early press etc. she’s not even In wrestling gear. Getting angry at that is bizarre 

2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Brandi was 100% the right person for that first line female figure. She was the highest profile given her allegiance with Cody, and was all over early press etc. she’s not even In wrestling gear. Getting angry at that is bizarre 

But they knewwwww Riho was getting the title eventually, so why didn't they have her first. I just think it's another example of AEW holding down its women's division. 

There you go, classic AEW complaint piece. 

19 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I get the impression that Brandi may be an absolute pain in the arse and have a hugely over inflated opinion of herself.

I think y’all missed the bolded word. It’s not really a stretch to think someone fairly prominent in wrestling who is married to a MAGA twat, works closely with MAGA twats who are funded by MAGA twats has quite the opinion of themselves. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Louch said:

on top of that, that initially wave was planned as Dynamite was getting ready to launch. They didn't really know who the breakout stars were, so of course they are going to lead with the ones most integrated with the company. I think that's the most bizarre criticism of all.

@Keith Houchen where is this Cody / MAGA stuff? We know most of the 'E are, but not seen much of it from the AEW side not name Jericho.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Just now, tiger_rick said:

Brandi may have a Donald Trump tattoo on her arse.

She actually has two on her arse. She got back from the tattooist and told Cody that she had WWE hall of famers tattooed on her arse. She asked him to have a look, it’s still swollen and blurred but see what you think. He looked and said “I think the one on the left is Donald Trump, and I think the one on the right is  William Shatner”

”But the one in the middle is definitely Bret Hart”

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That said, saying that Brandi received no reaction and "her face was a picture" is blatantly untrue, it's not even a matter of opinion, she clearly received a positive reaction - more so, bizarrely, than Cody did. 

It's her first appearance, as far as I'm aware, since she's had a child. Most of the audience know that, and it's a nice thing. She got a nice response as a result. It's not that bizarre.

It's part of why I'm baffled by the 'She looked angry at the lack of a pop, god, she's probably a nightmare, thinks so much of herself' stuff. It was a surprise appearance by a new mum that the fans mostly like. The stuff with Malakai fell flat, sure, but just a weird response to it.

Just now, Chris B said:

It's her first appearance, as far as I'm aware, since she's had a child. Most of the audience know that, and it's a nice thing. She got a nice response as a result. It's not that bizarre.

For clarity, that's not what I find bizarre - it's the level of negative reaction towards Cody. I kind of expected the crowd to back Black during the match, but I thought Cody would get a positive (or at least a mixed) reaction for his entrance, at the very least. While it's clear that the audience is souring on Cody somewhat, I was a little taken aback by how one-sided the reaction was. 

44 minutes ago, Nick James said:

No one is saying 'do not discuss this, do not discuss that', but the discussions are the exact same each time they are brought up and its usually the same handful of posters going back and forth on the same subject, with the same subject point. It's tiresome and even on a week where they have two of their hottest shows to date, we get drawn back to the same arguments. 

It's not JUST that though. The AEW topics are the most active wrestling ones on this forum by far. There's a huge about of positive enthusiastic discussion by a bunch of people absolutely fucking LOVING what Tony is offering and enjoying wrestling more than they have in years!

The complaints are actually few and far between. And the fact they're fairly repetitive means that actually AEW are getting a lot right because the list of negatives doesn't seem to grow much over time. But it can also be frustrating when the negative parts don't improve too much as well.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

For clarity, that's not what I find bizarre - it's the level of negative reaction towards Cody. I kind of expected the crowd to back Black during the match, but I thought Cody would get a positive (or at least a mixed) reaction for his entrance, at the very least. While it's clear that the audience is souring on Cody somewhat, I was a little taken aback by how one-sided the reaction was. 

It doesn't help that Malakai Black is the kind of character that will always attract a fanbase from the goth/metal/"alternative" contingent, is a relatively fresh/new talent, and has been booked as an unstoppable bad-ass who kicks people in the head. Yes, he's beaten up Arn Anderson, but only after Arn stood up to him. Yes, he's beaten up Brock Anderson, but in a match. And so on. In the grand scheme of things, outside of attacking Cody, he's not done much that explicitly villainous. So it may have been as much people rooting for Black as against Cody - if he had returned against a different opponent, the reaction may have been different.

In general, Cody does a lot of things that would be generally viewed as heelish in wrestling's received wisdom - he wears expensive suits (on the same show that the Young Bucks wear expensive trainers as a cocky heel move), he has an entourage and a manager that get involved in his matches; it's all stuff that doesn't scan for a babyface. So far, he's done well to have all of that overlooked largely on goodwill and on having a large section of the fanbase that see him as a hero, and as the guy who perhaps did the most to bring AEW into existence. But as we get further away from the beginning of AEW, and the fanbase continues to grow, that goodwill ceases to be relevant.

I've seen a lot of people reading into his Homelander style gear as either a sign that he's turning heel or that he's too thick to recognise that Homelander is the villain, like the people who think Rorschach in Watchmen is cool. What's far more likely is that he likes the character and thought it would be a fun look - nobody obsessively dissected the intention behind Pentagon Jr's Joker get-up, did they?

I've long argued that the problem with Cody is that his stories are booked in isolation, and that he can do a great opening act but never really seals the deal that well. The initial set-up to Cody vs. Dustin was fantastic, then it was waylaid by him doing the weird "I want to end the Attitude Era" bollocks rather than leaning into their family dynamic. The match and the aftermath was great, but the "I need my brother" thing led to them teaming together exactly once. The Shawn Spears feud was an impactful set-up (not necessarily a good one), and then the match was one and done and never mentioned again, despite us being told that Spears was one of Cody's best friends. While there are reasons why he hasn't been on TV since that are outside AEW's control, Anthony Ogogo lost to Cody and we've basically never even heard his name since. Cody put himself through getting whipped with a belt to get a match with MJF, lost, and then moved on to the next thing. There are so many stories in AEW that are great because there's no obvious start or end point, they flow organically out of what came before and into what comes next, and Cody's the opposite. He's still booked as if he's a guest star in someone else's company, coming in for one feud. 

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Calm down Piers Morgan. Anyway I’ll answer the point made just to me. You haven’t proven why she must have this expectation or ego you are claiming, based on an assumption her husband chose the line up. And there have been multiple Releases of everyone EXCEPT Brandi from that series. How come?

Sorry just to clarify I'm Piers Morgan how? Are we now in a world where its not acceptable to be offended or make a response to spurious and unfounded accusations of racism from strangers on the internet?

Why and how do I have to prove my opinion and how exactly would one do such a thing when an opinion is not a fact its a perception? Secondly why does me not "proving" my opinion mean yours is automatically validated?

Where have I said her husband chose the line up? With his role it isn't an unreasonable thing to suggest he may have influence on decisions and I've never called anyone unreasonable for disagreeing.

I struggle to understand a thought process or justification of a former ring announcer/backstage interviewer and valet being in the first 6 figures ahead of all the other women in the company including the woman they saw fit to be their inaugural womens champion and had held the belt for over 100 days before the line was announced that doesn't consider her and or her husband who's had sway in the decision.

I didn't say she has an ego as a concrete statement I said my opinion was she may have one. Whether she does or doesn't, without you or I personally knowing her we're unlikely to know whether I'm right or not and I'm really puzzled why so many have gotten so upset about it.

Rumours of her bullying talent, rumours of her causing issues IRL between Cody and others,  the action figure situation, being involved in numerous failed gimmicks where she played a prominent role in the early months of Dynamite whilst AEW were being widespread criticised at the time for how little they were featuring their womens talent and she seemed to be on TV every other week with a new angle, having a live televised gender reveal about her unborn child. During that spell numerous people were commenting that it was odd behaviour/booking as Cody was being promoted as the companies top face but her and Cody didn't come accross and faces but more as self obsessed egotistical heels who were so obnoxious they were oblivious to how others were perceiving them. I agreed with that and at the time was patiently waiting for their turn where it was revealed that was the intention all along however it never came. Then the latest thing was appearing to me to receive little reaction and look deflated. I've since watched it back and don't feel different she gets a minor ripple or applause and a cursery cheer for a split second and as Justin Roberts finishes announcing by saying Cody Rhodes he gets the exact same. Baring in mind numerous reports said the crowd reactions for Cody were negative and underwhelming. All those things contributed to my opinion.

If the dirt sheet aspects aren't true or others people's opinion is different thats fine and thats life but it's not a wild opinion out of absolutely nowhere and its not one that gives any justifiable indication whatsoever that its based on or related to her race in any way.

Anyway lets move on and agree to disagree about whether or not I'm right and allow other people to share their opinions about the actual topic. 

Edited by Jonny Vegas