The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Scorch - so Jazzwares could only have made all the decisions on who was being released without any influence or direction from anyone in charge or with power, for example, Cody Rhodes?

Chris B - immediately jumping to an incorrect and quite frankly ridiculous assumption that an opinion I've formed, that you don't agree with could only possibly be because of someone's race is not the inclusive and diverse behaviour you think it is.

The only possible thought process from what I've said, considering the fact that you don't know me, have never met me, don't know the first thing about me including my own race and I haven't said anything whatsoever that would be reasonable to suggest was based on her race is that YOU have identified and singled her out because of her race then assumed I must not only be a different race but could only possibly have any form of criticism or negative opinion about her whatsoever because I am a racist.

I thought Brandi was good as a ring announcer in her time in WWE. I absolutely LOVED the video which went viral of her announcing Cody at an indy show not long after his release well before AEW came about in the first place.

In her time in AEW I've found her character increasingly tiresome and uninteresting and I'm assuming with how quickly a few of her storylines were dropped that the general reaction by a lot of fans was the same or similar as AEW are well known to quickly change things if it's not seeming to work.

Are we past the point where people can't just disagree with each others opinions without suggesting someone must be a racist to have came to that conclusion without even knowing anything about them?

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Scorch - so Jazzwares could only have made all the decisions on who was being released without any influence or direction from anyone in charge or with power, for example, Cody Rhodes?

Chris B - immediately jumping to an incorrect and quite frankly ridiculous assumption that an opinion I've formed, that you don't agree with could only possibly be because of someone's race is not the inclusive and diverse behaviour you think it is.

The only possible thought process from what I've said, considering the fact that you don't know me, have never met me, don't know the first thing about me including my own race and I haven't said anything whatsoever that would be reasonable to suggest was based on her race is that YOU have identified and singled her out because of her race then assumed I must not only be a different race but could only possibly have any form of criticism or negative opinion about her whatsoever because I am a racist.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Calm down Piers Morgan. Anyway I’ll answer the point made just to me. You haven’t proven why she must have this expectation or ego you are claiming, based on an assumption her husband chose the line up. And there have been multiple Releases of everyone EXCEPT Brandi from that series. How come?

• Paid Members

@Jonny Vegas coming to the conclusion that somebody is an 'absolute pain in the arse and have a hugely over inflated opinion of herself' because of 'her face when she came out' is utter bollocks.

Her character has been quite bad for the most part in AEW and they've never really settled on how best to use her. All those would be valid points. But nah, lets just make up some bollocks about her being difficult to work with and how stuck-up she is based on zero evidence.

• Paid Members
On 9/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, Nick James said:

Sometimes this thread seems like Groundhog Day. We go through the 'everyone hates cody', AEW Vs WWE ratings arguement and the 'X wrestler is doing the same thing each week' pages every week it feels.

I can't believe I missed out the Brandi Rhodes debate.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@Jonny Vegas coming to the conclusion that somebody is an 'absolute pain in the arse and have a hugely over inflated opinion of herself' because of 'her face when she came out' is utter bollocks.

Her character has been quite bad for the most part in AEW and they've never really settled on how best to use her. All those would be valid points. But nah, lets just make up some bollocks about her being difficult to work with and how stuck-up she is based on zero evidence.

Spot on here.

She's an odd one. I've never actually thought "Fucking hell. She's awful" as much as "Why is she doing that?" Her performances in the Nightmare Collective, for example, were.....fine. It was just a shite idea. Same with the frenemies storyline with Allie or the utterly bizarre segment with Jade where she totally changed her accent for no apparent reason. If anything, I'd argue that the fact her storylines keep getting dropped is evidence that she doesn't have a particularly inflated opinion of herself. It's not like she doesn't have any influence is it?

As an aside, isn't Brandi the one usually credited for a lot of the socially conscious stuff AEW does? Like setting up rooms where autistic people can watch the shows without being overwhelmed, giving out noise cancelling headphones, etc? I still think that's one of the best things AEW has done. Makes me think she might actually be a pretty nice person, especially for the wrestling business.

• Paid Members

the other thing to remember about Brandi is that she has a reality TV show to put over. I hated her getting in the face of Malakai Black without any fear or anything, and it added nothing to the match, but there's a reason she needs to be getting herself on TV right now, and particularly alongside Cody. They're booking For The Brand.

The actual worst thing about that whole angle, though, was that Cody has seemingly forgotten that he was on the verge of retiring. Leaving his boots in the ring and walking away? Fair enough, come back and fight Malakai Black to get revenge for interrupting that and beating up all his mates, but if losing to Malakai Black was enough to make him want to leave, why after losing to him again is he just in a throwaway tag match on Dynamite this week? Has he forgotten?

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Are we only allowed to talk about people once in this thread? I mean I think its expected that we circle round to the same topics every so often. Especially when those people are still around and perhaps things haven't changed.

Any have a right to troll an argument we find really tiring, like the bizarre flights of fancy people get with Cody and his wife or ANY of Cody's angles. That bit where someone said Brandi walked out to no pop and looked angry. A literal lie with evidence to prove it that only the Bacon wasn't in Footloose defence would stop. I think it's a culture thing for us at the moment. None of us are going to like that reality show of theirs but it's finding a new audience hopefully. Cody gets accused of lots of things he hasn't done because we're all still jaded, plus he isn't as good is he, so it means he's were way more justified to slag him. Like how Bob Holly would get smark abuse but Benoit was worse but a worker and respected, so his cruel shit GOT a pass for the time. He's not as exciting, therefore he's not to be judged the same. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Imo The Nightmare Collective might have had legs if Brandi wasn't still playing a face alongside Cody.

That's it, it's just the complete inconsistency that people were bothered by. It was around the same time she was hiding behind Awesome Kong as her bodyguard, but then was in a battle royal getting a ton of eliminations and squaring up to everyone - so why use Kong if you're not going to lean into that dynamic? The inconsistency is more galling in AEW than it might be elsewhere because everything else tends to be really coherent, and the most minor of storyline beats always end up paying off. Cody and Brandi moving from Moment to Moment with no real sense of consistency between one story and another stands out like a sore thumb.

More broadly, I think people's issue with Brandi is that when she's on TV she tends to be a booked as a star, without ever having really done anything to earn that reputation. But, again, a lot of that is going to be around selling the reality series, getting Cody and Brandi on magazine covers, and generally establishing them as a media couple. 

I think what makes it disappointing is that Cody's shown that with a story he can sink his teeth into he can be great - the whipping angle, the match with Dustin, he's done fantastic stuff. 

Edited by BomberPat

1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

Are we only allowed to talk about people once in this thread? I mean I think its expected that we circle round to the same topics every so often. Especially when those people are still around and perhaps things haven't changed.

This. 

If anything, people complaining about the subjects being discussed feels more repetitive than what people are choosing to say. 

That said, saying that Brandi received no reaction and "her face was a picture" is blatantly untrue, it's not even a matter of opinion, she clearly received a positive reaction - more so, bizarrely, than Cody did. I'm not a fan of the way Brandi has been used by AEW, and clearly she's benefitted from nepotism, but she was fairly well received last week. 

16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I hated her getting in the face of Malakai Black without any fear or anything, and it added nothing to the match

I actually don't mind this if the intention is, as I suspect it might be, to present them as oblivious and egotistical heels, who think they're babyfaces. I could see that character thinking that she was untouchable, and in that context, it's not so much that she's fearless, it's that her ego is so out-of-control that she doesn't think that anyone would dare to do anything to her. We'll see what they do next, but given the layers to AEW's storytelling, I could absolutely see that being her/their intent. 

Cody needs to clear the clutter. He never needed arn, the nightmare family are just guys for when he needs a partner. How while act screams entitled and it’s no wonder everyday type fans don’t tend to like a guy who gets a bigger entrances than the champion, who dresses over the top and cuts about in Loubuoton shoes like a douche.
If you are gonna be that aloof with a hot wife, play into it , be the guy who can’t see why people dislike him. do all the tropes that people don’t like, you don’t need to cheat, just be an unlikeable cunt 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If anything, people complaining about the subjects being discussed feels more repetitive than what people are choosing to say. 

No one is saying 'do not discuss this, do not discuss that', but the discussions are the exact same each time they are brought up and its usually the same handful of posters going back and forth on the same subject, with the same subject point. It's tiresome and even on a week where they have two of their hottest shows to date, we get drawn back to the same arguments. 

Edited by Nick James