The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I can't get over Sting. He's not real is he? Just shy of a bus pass and he's busting out the best kickass babyface hot tag I've seen all year. 

Good old weekend Dad Sting. He'll fuck you up like. He's outstanding. 

Sting is one year younger than Arn Anderson.

Sting has been great in everything. He’s never overshadowed Darby at any point, and gives loads by association. Just two baby faces who enjoy each other’s quiet company 

• Paid Members

I think with Cody if played right they could actually do a really unique and interesting heel turn and character. But at the moment he's got the combined worst qualities of Triple H and John Cena while not being anywhere near as good in ring as either of them.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I think with Cody if played right they could actually do a really unique and interesting heel turn and character. But at the moment he's got the combined worst qualities of Triple H and John Cena while not being anywhere near as good in ring as either of them.

Where's the Cena comparison here? Could see that when he was doing the TNT Title open challenge stuff ages ago but not now. With Trips, I guess the gear inspired by pop culture and having his missus with him is similar but it's still a massive stretch. We're talking about a guy who has gone out of his way to make Malakai Black. Trips has never done that in his life.

Cody has been on record saying he wouldn't turn heel in AEW and he might just ride this out. He did a tremendous job on Wednesday of acknowledging the crowd reaction without overtly playing up to it or ignoring it. I'm convinced it's a slow burn heel turn but they might just ride with it, accept he's gonna get booed in NYC and the like and be popular down South and carry on. It's interesting regardless.

I've never been a fan of him as a worker. This is clearly the best version of him but he's not on the level of a Triple H or John Cena, that's obvious to anyone. I read some of the nonsense about him on here though and it just makes me recognise how good he is. He looks great, carries himself like a star and has loads of brilliant little touches. Like slipping his watch off last week before the brawl. Just megastar behaviour that you don't see now.

My biggest problem with him is how outside of everything else he is. That's not a good idea from a promotion who've done a great job of intertwining feuds and stories so they cross over. Cody's a top guy but hasn't had anything to do with any of the other top guys for ages. I think that's pretty selfless but it's the biggest problem with the character. He should be in the mix with the other guys.

Thinking back Cody booking himself out of the world title picture (and sticking to it) was genius imo.

If he stays out of it he never risks overbooking in the main event scene at the expense of others but if he ever fancies a top heel run he could easily use his EVP status to piss everyone off.

Win/win.

• Paid Members

I’ve always attributed the rumoured tension between the EVPs for the weird way that Cody exists as a satellite to the rest of the show but I wonder how much that self-imposed stipulation also plays a factor.

Is their insistence that Cody can’t fight for the World Title part of the reason why he never mixes it up with the rest of the top stars? Either way it’s one of the last few things I wish AEW would address. Ogogo match aside, which remains indefensible, I rate Cody more than most and have a lot of time for him. I just hate the way he only ever interacts with others in the Codyverse.

@tiger_rickis spot on. It’s massively jarring for a company that otherwise has all these intertwining stories, different characters crossing paths and clever callbacks.

All his old mates have became the biggest bunch of cheating bastards, running roughshod over the whole promotion. You’d think he’d at least mention them? Nope. Just continue feuding with whoever next debuts or graduates from the Nightmare Factory.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

All his old mates have became the biggest bunch of cheating bastards, running roughshod over the whole promotion. You’d think he’d at least mention them? Nope. Just continue feuding with whoever next debuts or graduates from the Nightmare Factory.

This, its even worse when hes playing the superhero baby face. 

• Paid Members

Disappointing number for AEW this week for such a stacked show. Overall and demo were up from last week but both down on two weeks ago. Still the 2nd best number of the year but you've got to image that with such a stacked card and well-promoted show, they thought they'd get close to their best ever number. I certainly did.

Lost to Raw in the demo 0.49 to 0.48, just for accuracy. Raw was up on last week but still just below 1.8m overall and under 0.5 demo which is poor for them. Be interesting to see if they grow again next week though and if they put Roman on again to try and maintain it.

• Paid Members

Apparently that night was a big night for season premieres in the US so that may have had some effect. I don't think AEW is going to get any monster ratings jumps at this point though. As long as they stay consistent hopefully ratings will slowly rise.

I don't think getting the 3rd best Dynamite can be considered disappointing. It's behind the premiere, and the fallout from All Out with the difference there being 46,000 and 0.05. It's all about habit forming. As important as getting people to watch Grand Slam live happened to be, the praise and FOMO will have some people checking it out.

The move TBS has the potential to draw in some new viewers for the first time. Although I feel doing it in the deadzone of January might be a bit of a mistake when trying to maximise the channel change.

20 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Apparently that night was a big night for season premieres in the US so that may have had some effect. I don't think AEW is going to get any monster ratings jumps at this point though. As long as they stay consistent hopefully ratings will slowly rise.

Interesting how people mention the premieres of survivor and the masked singer to justify aew then talk about raw being poor rating but fail to mention not only them going against Monday night football but also the premiere of the voice and dancing with the stars this week too... both huge shows.

Demo ratings for this week's Monday Night Football were 3.86 on ESPN and .71 for ESPN2 so it actually more than doubled the Masked Singer and Survivor combined there for example and that's not even counting the voice or dwts.

Agenda driven opinions are the order of the day there..oh but aew were against a and b..BTW rawratings were crap... let's not mention they were up against the juggernaut that is mnf as well as the Premiere of two bigger shows in dwts and the voice

• Paid Members

Pretty sure multiple people on here mentioned Monday Night Football affecting the Raw ratings but ok. I said the season premieres may have had an effect but in reality probably not much of one. I doubt many Survivor or Masked Singer fans are wrestling viewers.

Dynamite was still the number 1 cable show for the night by over 20% in viewers on the number 2 show so I'm sure AEW and TNT are very happy with the ratings. I don't really care about WWE ratings because I don't watch it. I care about AEW ratings because they are a new company and their growth is very interesting. 

Edited by LaGoosh

really hope aew don’t try and chase wwe. Anyone who has tried that had failed. I much prefer the coke don’t talk about pepsi Approach. Just do your shit and let others worry about themselves 

1 minute ago, Louch said:

really hope aew don’t try and chase wwe. Anyone who has tried that had failed. I much prefer the coke don’t talk about pepsi Approach. Just do your shit and let others worry about themselves 

For me they are two totally different products for different audiences

Aew still feels bit like an indy and that's not being derogatory its just that like for example roh 2007 to 10 you know that on a big show you are getting great matches to watch.. some of the stories can be a bit wishy washy.

Wwe on video packages alone can hype you for a match and sometimes it delivers and sometimes it doesn't but as a sports entertainment company they have entertained you with the story so ultimately done their job. 

Aews most fleshed out story with hangman now feels a bit in the balance as is he really going to be the one to come back and dethrone omega when since he went on leave you've had punk Cole and Danielson all as viable contenders and there's is talk of interest in Windham steen zayn etc.. feels he's been overtaken