The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Just finishing off the show, if people are tuning into that there wasn’t much filler at all across that show. 

omega/Danielson going on first screamed a draw to me, it was hard hitting but I wasn’t expecting a winner from it. 

punk was left in the hard spot after it, took him a while but he eventually got the crowd back up. And he’s right, we want angry Punk not this is amazing to be here 

mjf Pillman was what it was. Ask me next week and I won’t remember it happened 

Cody, just fuck off and take the whole act and entourage with you. The shot of Black lying back laughing after he won on the ramp was brilliant 

sting and Darby winning gets the crowd happy, but as much as I don’t care much for FTR, always dislike established tag teams losing to singles guys 

Woman’s match was what it was as well, thought we might have seen Rosa appear at the end to set up them facing off, but no 

production wise, if you have a crowd that big light them up and let us see them through the show. Very little effort to show the upper tiers to show how packed the place was 

• Paid Members

I agree with you @Louch about the tag team vs single guys. But they have been established as a tag team for a lot of matches now. Most of Stings matches have been tags. But also it’s not jobbers, Sting and Darby are 2 of the biggest members of the roster, so think there is no negative impact on FTR losing to them.

Probably the most epic opening to a wrestling tv show ever, at least i can remember anyway.

Bored of these Punk promos now but thats a personal thing.

MJF v Pillman was a good outing and chance for Pillman to have a spotlight.

I really enjoyed Cody v Black, Yes Cody was hated but he was in with a smart mark favorite, I wonder if they will think twice about who they book with Black going forward? great seeing Brandi back.

FTR v Sting/Allen was a good tag but after what felt like 2 main events it was hard to get into it.

Main, I thought, was a good choice to close the show. It was both a 'big match' and a 'cooler' and Britt got the chance to be a heel (still get annoyed by how they keep flipping her heel/face), Ruby came out looking strong despite the loss and Baker little gang actually looked effective for once.

All in all, a damm near perfect wrestling tv show

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I agree with you @Louch about the tag team vs single guys. But they have been established as a tag team for a lot of matches now. Most of Stings matches have been tags. But also it’s not jobbers, Sting and Darby are 2 of the biggest members of the roster, so think there is no negative impact on FTR losing to them.

I don’t mind 2.0 etc getting slapped around by them, FTR are meant to be a top top team, so thought they would be protected a little better as with face tag champs, they will need heel opponents to go up against 

• Paid Members

Bryans going to kill himself without restrictions, isn't he? Saw the running V-Trigger this morning on twitter and winced. Going to give the match a watch this morning as the clips I saw looked incredible. I struggle to keep myself from spoilers these days due to not having much spare time so I'm not too bothered I already know the result. 

Daniel Bryan posted prior to his incredible match last night, a real classy tribute to WWE (it’s wordy, but classy):

“Tomorrow night feels like the biggest match of my career. In a lot of ways it doesn’t seem real. It’s against a dream opponent in Kenny Omega, who I’ve watched grow and become one of the best wrestlers in the world over the last several years. It’s taking place in a dream setting, the first wrestling show at Arthur Ashe Stadium. 

It’s happening in a groundbreaking promotion — AEW, a company that’s modernizing wrestling and giving fans their first true alternative in a long time. And it’s my first match outside of WWE in over 10 years. It feels like a brand new chapter. I couldn’t be more excited. 

What a world! But if I’m honest, “excited” is only part of what I’m feeling right now. Life has a way of being a little more complicated than that, ya know? So as I approach this moment, before this next part of my career gets fully underway, there’s something I need to express:

THANK YOU, WWE.

Thank you to the incredible superstars with whom I’ve shared both the ring and the road. For Savate-Kick Saturdays and locally roasted coffee. For being family when we’re away from family. For making me look good when I didn’t feel good. For deep conversations and pointless debates. For making me laugh — both in the best of times, and the worst. For all the small things that make life as a wrestler just a little bit more fun.

Thank you to the many people behind the scenes. The crew in WWE is amazing, from the folks operating the cameras to those in catering. From the producers to talent relations. Thank you to the production team, who always put together such amazing packages, and are such an underappreciated part of the stories we tell. Thank you to everyone involved in creative: for accepting me into the group, for sharing with me the lessons you’ve learned, and for the fun times we had talking about wrestling and non-wrestling subjects alike. It’s a difficult job, writing and producing WWE television, and I’m consistently blown away by your ability to make a seamless production out of such chaos!  

Thank you to the Big Man, who I know hates to be acknowledged. I won’t say much, but thank you for the conversations, the life lessons (about both what to do and what not to do), and the best hug I’ve ever received. I wish more people could see you how I see you.

And last but certainly not least: Thank you to the WWE fans. You pushed my career to new heights — heights that I never would have reached for, on my own. Thank you for cheering me enthusiastically into the main event at WrestleMania 30, and thank you for booing me vociferously against Kofi at WrestleMania 35. Thank you for crying with me when I was forced to retire, and thank you for celebrating with me when I was cleared to compete. Thank you for hijacking that show in Seattle — the last time my dad ever got to see me wrestle. He signed his first autograph that night: Buddy Danielson, Daniel Bryan’s dad.

Thank you for moments that I will never forget…. moments where I can just close my eyes and feel the goosebumps all over again.

I hope you will continue to follow me in AEW, but I completely understand if you don’t. You’ve given me more than enough — more than I could ever repay. Thank you for all of it.

I loved my time in WWE. Needless to say, it changed my life. I met my wife, had unbelievable experiences and made great friends. Some of you, I may see again…. and I hope that I do. But these last two years have taught us not to take that for granted. So I just wanted to tell you all how much you’ve meant to me. I’m grateful that you allowed me into your lives, and that you came into mine. I’ll cherish these memories forever.

Thank you for reading — and most of all, thank you for caring. “

Sincerely,

Bryan Danielson 

- Yaz (All YAZ wrestling) 

• Paid Members

That opener was epic. I'm not a huge fan of wrestling matches these days, oddly it's the dullest part of wrestling but that was just insanely good. I was on high alert for the time limit draw but when Ex said there were 45 seconds left, I was stunned. It just flew by. I thought Bryan was familiar enough for his existing fan base and new (or old) enough for a new one. Just fantastic work. The reaction was so, so good too. It's one thing having announcers tell us it's a dream match ad nauseum but it's another to hear a crowd pissing their pants in anticipation.

The crowd for Rampage will be interesting if it was taped because they seemed a bit knackered here after the opener and then Punk. They woke up for Cody/Black but were a bit worn out otherwise.

Outstanding show overall because the highs were really, really high. Didn't like MJF/Pillman, both average workers at this point. Loved the rest. Punk promo was outstanding. He's note perfect so far. Not jumping into oversell mode when it's not needed. First TV match in 7 years, it sells itself. He's self-aware enough to know what's needed.

Bring on Rampage!

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That opener was epic. I'm not a huge fan of wrestling matches these days, oddly it's the dullest part of wrestling

That is exactly how I feel these days, I'm more taken in by the storylines themselves and the pageantry than the actual matches.  

A thought I had the other day, since the start of AEW, MJF has worked with solid hands in Cody, Jericho and the whole Inner Circle / Pinnacle stuff, has he now shown his arse when in a feud with someone where HE is the experienced one? Average worker with cheap heat 101 promos rather than the huge amount of hype and heat he had a few years ago, even going back to the Austin podcast he did. 

Only time will tell and you would imagine he is still finding his feet, but two years in and he doesn't seem any further to the top heel that was predicted in the Cody feud. Compare him to Sammy, who has grown tenfold, I think the next year could be make or break for the MJF character. 

Edited by Nick James

9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

That is exactly how I feel these days, I'm more taken in by the storylines themselves and the pageantry than the actual matches.  

Yeah I started to feel like that, but then a match like that happens and you realise just how fucking great it can be. Also called brilliantly. JR really does bring something of the big feel to these type of matches. Seems to have got his mojo back last few months

Agreed, MJF got the push right away when he should have been in ring leading and growing the way Darby, Jungle Boy etc have been. I mentioned the stat about how few matches he’s had in aew and it really shows. He just isn’t in ring where he should be. Can’t live on promos forever when you are a smaller guy 

Just got finished with the rest of the show.

I don’t think it was a case that the crowd were worn out by the time main event got going, I thought the match was a bit lacklustre so they gave a lacklustre response. Ruby going Super-Soho towards the end didn’t seem to help matters either.

Actually punched the air when Cody got pinned. I know he’ll get a win eventually, but this was absolutely the right result. Arn needs to stay on the floor though, as he tried to get round the ring post I was thinking “steady on Arn, you’re going to fall if you’re not careful”. Low & behold that’s exactly what happened to the poor bugger.

I still don’t get what people see in MJF as being some kind of megastar. He’s a confident promo no doubt about it, but it’s basic heel stuff that’s he’s saying and his matches are alright depending who he’s in there with. He’s basically The Miz.

Punk doesn’t need a monologue every week. Granted they’re paying him a shitload of money and want their worth out of him, but that didn’t do anything to hype his match anymore than what’s already been done.

There will be some upset that FTR lost to Darby & Sting, but they’ll be fine once they get a proper feud to get their teeth into. There’s a lot of smoke & mirrors to cover for him, but just enjoy seeing Sting while he can still go as good as he can.

A good show overall, but that opening match was stellar stuff and will win practically everything in the end of year awards

• Paid Members

Feel like the Punk stuff is falling a bit victim to their booking cycle generally being peaks and troughs for each character, but they don't want people to pay for a show and not see Punk, so a lot of what he's doing is wheelspinning in the moments where he'd probably not be on TV or just in a backstage segment or on commentary for a match