The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

We pretending Cody hasn't put over everyone? Bit weird.

Favourite JR moment was when he got Malakai's name right and is so used to being wrong, that he tried to correct himself but wasn't wrong in the first place.

Ex saying "New York is AEW Country" was funny. Up there with JR claiming "red and yellow has never looked so good in the Garden" for Flash Funk at Survivor Series 96.

22 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Favourite JR moment was when he got Malakai's name right and is so used to being wrong, that he tried to correct himself but wasn't wrong in the first place.

Laughed out loud at that.

That opener was just superb wasn't it. The scrambling about trying to get hold in after the time limit had gone was a cool little touch instead of them just standing up and that being that.

I've looked on the AEW shop and can't find it yet but the bloke on the front row's NY subway style shirt was fantastic.

Punk could have a field day against Cody tearing into him. Not sure even with TNT tolerating blood and everyone saying shit that they would allow an on screen murder 

46 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Punk doesn’t need a monologue every week. Granted they’re paying him a shitload of money and want their worth out of him, but that didn’t do anything to hype his match anymore than what’s already been done.

It's the promoted Sting appearance every week after he debuted. Milking Punk for every casual viewer they can.

21 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Great show. 

Thought Cody rose above the hate really well, but I suspect their might be a turn coming along soon. Possibly to feud with Punk, which I think could be excellent. 

Heel Cody is a great shout for a first ‘proper’ singles feud for Punk, they have it in them to tell a great story. The outcome would be intriguing too, as you can’t really imagine Cody turning heel, then immediately losing his first big feud. Heck, I’m not even sure he should.

I am slightly worried that we’re en route to Cody/Brandi vs Miro/CJ, and an unintended face turn for Miro, based on the prospect of them looking to thrust Brandi into a prominent role to provide content for their reality show.

That opener was probably the best TV match I’ve ever seen, and like others I’m intrigued to see how the crowd holds up for Rampage. They seemed burned out at times, and it’s little wonder given how exciting Omega/Danielson was. Who’d have thought a show that peaked with the opener could still be so brilliant?

The only negative for me was the jackass dressed as Randy Savage near the front row, copying his mannerisms and holding up a giant Randy Savage face almost every time the camera was on him. I can see why WWE clamped down on that kind of thing, I found it pretty distracting myself, but it must have ruined the show for people sitting behind him.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Le sigh. It’s relevant if your concern is with the representation of POC

You literally asked what a different company were doing as a “Counter Argument”. Nobody but you mentioned another company. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

production wise, if you have a crowd that big light them up and let us see them through the show. Very little effort to show the upper tiers to show how packed the place was 

This was probably my only gripe with an otherwise excellent show. The crowd were loud even during the points when they were clearly a bit tired/burnt out, but if you have that many people, show it off. I don't understand the point in running such an aesthetically unique venue only to make it visually look like any other episode of Dynamite. 

Great show other than that, phenomenal opener and everything else delivered pretty well throughout.

• Paid Members

I think the lack of black stars near the top of the card is valid complaint. There are obviously Hispanic stars and have been since the start as well as the Japanese ladies being the stars of the women's roster early on. But there was originally a distinct lack of black talent. I'd say in their defence, that the best black talent at that point was already in WWE, NXT and Impact and in prominent roles with the exception of Scorpio Sky (and Brandi?). I don't know how conscious they are but they've certainly made an effort to build Will Hobbs, Lee Johnson, Private Party, The Acclaimed, Jade Cargill and Red Velvet pretty much from scratch over the past 18 months.

You'd imagine that a company run by the Khans with Brandi Rhodes as Chief Brand Officer would be well aware of the need to address an issue like this and would be working hard to do so.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, mim731 said:

This was probably my only gripe with an otherwise excellent show. The crowd were loud even during the points when they were clearly a bit tired/burnt out, but if you have that many people, show it off. I don't understand the point in running such an aesthetically unique venue only to make it visually look like any other episode of Dynamite.

Completely agree with that. Would (and have) give WWE a kicking for such a thing.