The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is that the case? Or they just felt like the WWE deal wasn't working out as it once was? I'm not completely sure of the ins and outs of why all of that fell apart in the end, but if they've got their finger on the pulse then they've got to be aware of AEW's current momentum. If they could put a good deal together for everyone involved then I'd be very surprised if they didn't give it a go.

The word at the time was WWE wanted more money, Sky said find someone else, and BT who were having issues with UFC bit their arm. My only hope if Sky go in is Tony Khan insisting they keep Fite as a partner.

30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is that the case? Or they just felt like the WWE deal wasn't working out as it once was? I'm not completely sure of the ins and outs of why all of that fell apart in the end, but if they've got their finger on the pulse then they've got to be aware of AEW's current momentum. If they could put a good deal together for everyone involved then I'd be very surprised if they didn't give it a go.

Sky were quite a big part of WWE becoming popular and popular again in the UK during the 90s weren't they through the support, promotion,  TV specials and UK PPVs? Having Sky doing that for AEW could do wonders. What's the equivilant of live and kicking these days? I could see a lot of the roster doing well and having fun on a show like that while Cody and Brandi talk shit on the grown up shows.

On another note, I echo the sentiment the arena was far too dark. Was it sold out? Felt like they tried to create a NJPW in the Tokyo Dome type feel with everything being darker but having the smoke and neon lights. Thought it looked great but not the place to do it. The acoustics were fantastic, it actually sounded different to a normal arena as the sound echoed around a lot more

Edited by simonworden

• Paid Members

Tangentially on topic, but might be worth noting that BT Sport are apparently in talks to be bought by DAZN if reports are to be believed, so I don't know if that makes a return to Sky for WWE more likely in the near future or not (depending if DAZN extend that relationship or not), which again might muddy the waters on whether AEW are a viable option for Sky rather than their more established rivals.  Could be one to keep an eye on in the coming months. 

I'd love for AEW to have a working relationship with a channel like TNA did. I know it was probably easier for TNA but it was one of the few times I felt like the UK was treated as a proper market compared to the US. The fan interactions and things like that. I'd really love for us to get more of that from another company.

24 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Sky were quite a big part of WWE becoming popular and popular again in the UK during the 90s weren't they through the support, promotion,  TV specials and UK PPVs? Having Sky doing that for AEW could do wonders. What's the equivilant of live and kicking these days? I could see a lot of the roster doing well and having fun on a show like that while Cody and Brandi talk shit on the grown up shows.

On another note, I echo the sentiment the arena was far too dark. Was it sold out? Felt like they tried to create a NJPW in the Tokyo Dome type feel with everything being darker but having the smoke and neon lights. Thought it looked great but not the place to do it. The acoustics were fantastic, it actually sounded different to a normal arena as the sound echoed around a lot more

There's obviously been talk of AEW doing UK shows. If they did a link up with Sky it wouldn't shock me if they did a couple of UK PPVs instead of bringing Dynamite/Rampage over. Sky Box Office here/Bleacher Report in the US/Fite TV everywhere else.

• Paid Members

I don't think it gets much better than that opening half hour. Big time feel with two big time wrestlers putting on an absolute cracker and a loud crowd going nuts for it. Felt like a Wrestlemania main event (back when they weren't at the end of a 7 hour show). The stadium set up was beautiful.

CM Punk promo was absolutely fine and got me invested in Friday's match so job done.

MJF vs Pillman was pretty shite. Pillman isn't very good which isn't surprising considering he's only 3 years in. He gets more shine out of the Varsity Blonde's because of his family but Griff Garrison is a much better wrestler. I would rather have seen someone else in his spot. 

Absolutely God like promo from Miro. What a man. I'm now incredibly excited for his match with Sammy.

Good lord Cody wants to be John Cena so bad. Malakai Black is just the coolest baddest looking motherfucker and everything about his act just works, the addition of the black mist is perfect. It was fun seeing him get the win and also laughing at how stupid and shit Cody is now. His act is awful. 

FTR vs Sting/Allin was wonderful wrestling. As good as it gets. I enjoyed it just as much as Bryan/Omega.

That main event was not very good. The crowd weren't exhausted, the match just didn't give them a reason to get into it. Britt Baker is great on the mic and at character work but I'm not convinced by her in ring. She puts most her matches together like her boyfriend - the first 3/4 will be meaningless time killing until she can get to the near falls at the end. My first time seeing a Ruby Soho/Riott singles match too and I was fairly unimpressed. Her offence is bad and she seems fairly awkward doing anything.

Can only imagine how knackered those fans are gonna be after that and then a pretty packed Rampage right after!

I expected Punk and Danielson to go the full 30, but I don't know if I expected it to be as good as it was and I say that as someone who credits both of them for saving my fandom at different points. I don't know if they only called the time at one minute and didn't do '10 minutes have passed', etc, or everyone just got carried away but I was absolutely giddy at that last few seconds where they were kicking lumps out of each other and then the afters post bell. That's definitely my favourite Kenny match outside of Okada, and as someone who rates Dragon as his favourite wrestler but has only seen one of his matches in over two years, that's probably a joint sentimental favourite. Perfect.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did the rematch over a whole Rampage. 

I thought sending Punk out next was really clever. Give them the few minutes of Happy Phil shaking hands and kissing babies and then have him ratchet up the emotion. I feel like I'm in the minority but I felt like this did it's job of resetting the crowd really well.

Liked the MJF/Pillman match for what it was, which was basically a solid mid 90's throwback match. Can't decide whether it was elevated by being on this show or hampered in comparison to everything around it.

It's absolutely deliberate that Cody basically dressed up as Homelander. Cody Runnels knows he's a heel, Cody Rhodes hasn't quite  caught on yet. I'm fully aware that Black uses every Dark/Spooky/Evil bollocksy trope in the WWE playbook, but he does it so much better and somehow comes out looking cool as fuck.

The Sting stuff's just a good time, innit?

Britt Baker the character is excellent, Britt Baker the wrestler isn't. That main was about par for the course for her. Ruby seemed out of sorts. They really badly need to work on getting some storytelling into that women's division. 

I wasn't too bummed about the lighting tbh. I noticed it was dark but there were a few moments where the pyro or lighting went right up and you could see the whole arena which were jaw dropping, so I felt like that offset it.

Brilliant episode of TV. Felt like the biggest thing in wrestling in ages. That first match and the atmosphere made that my favourite of the 'Special' TV shows. It beggars the question though, 'What would Winter is Coming have been like in front of a crowd like this?'.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Apparently some people in the know were quoted saying Sky no longer wanted wrestling on their sports channels. But the Network launch obviously hurt their profit via PPV.

That Danielson/Omega match was ace. I had a feeling it might be a time limit draw and enjoyed it so much all the same. Nobody is better than Danielson at this stuff. Best singles AEW match to date, and it's a toss up between this and Young Bucks v Omega/Page match for the best AEW match overall. 

The rest of it was all solid. We got another fun Sting tag match, they showed they aren't tone deaf and had Black beat Cody, while MJF/Pillman and Baker/Soho were both very decent. 

Edited by AndyUK

44 minutes ago, Perry said:

Apparently some people in the know were quoted saying Sky no longer wanted wrestling on their sports channels. But the Network launch obviously hurt their profit via PPV.

Which people in the know and where were they quoted?

WWE used to give sky hours of new content each week that every channel needs, even at the price they paid it must have had its use that way 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Perry said:

I’m calling bullshine on that. Sky Sports shows fishing and E-Sports ffs. There is no way they turned round and said we don’t want wrestling anymore. They got into a row when the Network was launched, which is what held things up here. They weren’t happy with the loss in PPV and the shows weren’t doing as well (though if I remember still in the top 10 each week). It would have come down to financials. If it’s got a fan base who will pay to watch, Sky will have it.

@mim731 I don’t have insider knowledge, it’s been very quiet, but read an article on the FT and BT want to sell lock stock and barrel including the studios in Stratford and will include all existing rights. I would guess Dazn couldn’t sell off rights to things like WWE unless they agree with WWE to do so. Most times a sale will include all outstanding deals in place. They have boxing, but don’t think they have any wrestling content in any of their countries.