The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

It's the promoted Sting appearance every week after he debuted. Milking Punk for every casual viewer they can.

I'm not sure it's that. To be honest they probably think every live crowd wants to see Punk and they've got a point.

Yeah it's bordering on repetitive when you tune in every week and watch it, but to experience it is a whole other thing, and I bet the crowds are loving it. I think it'll settle down eventually.

It's like the Judas singalongs - I was over them a long time ago but I bet they're fucking awesome to be a part of.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think the lack of black stars near the top of the card is valid complaint. There are obviously Hispanic stars and have been since the start as well as the Japanese ladies being the stars of the women's roster early on. But there was originally a distinct lack of black talent. I'd say in their defence, that the best black talent at that point was already in WWE, NXT and Impact and in prominent roles with the exception of Scorpio Sky (and Brandi?). I don't know how conscious they are but they've certainly made an effort to build Will Hobbs, Lee Johnson, Private Party, The Acclaimed, Jade Cargill and Red Velvet pretty much from scratch over the past 18 months.

Yeah, I think there's definitely a future investment in black talent, which I see as on another level to the Hispanic and Japanese stars - whereas the latter have certainly seen no end of daft racist gimmicks in WWE and the like, they've never really been under-represented in wrestling to the extent that black wrestlers have been. In AEW's defence I'd say there's not really a motherlode of over black wrestlers on the level of a Punk, Cole or Danielson to pull from, so they do have to build people up more or less from scratch. But they haven't got behind any black wrestlers as "their" guys to the extent that they have with Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, or, in the women's division, Britt Baker. And when you look at the last PPV and see, outside of the Battle Royal, not a single black face on the card, you have to ask, "really? I might be able to agree that there's no black talent here on the level of CM Punk or Kenny Omega, but are the none on the level of QT Marshall?".

• Paid Members

That opener. Wow. As a debut match in a new promotion, that’s got to be one of greatest of all time, surely?

All this, “Cody to turn heel,” stuff is a bit weird. Did you see his fucking cape?! He already is a heel!

…Hangman Page doesn’t fit into this company anymore, does he? He might as well take the full year off for the kid at this point.

Edited by Supremo

19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think the lack of black stars near the top of the card is valid complaint. There are obviously Hispanic stars and have been since the start as well as the Japanese ladies being the stars of the women's roster early on. But there was originally a distinct lack of black talent. I'd say in their defence, that the best black talent at that point was already in WWE, NXT and Impact and in prominent roles with the exception of Scorpio Sky (and Brandi?). I don't know how conscious they are but they've certainly made an effort to build Will Hobbs, Lee Johnson, Private Party, The Acclaimed, Jade Cargill and Red Velvet pretty much from scratch over the past 18 months.

In the beginning they were priming Scorpio Sky to be the star of SCU, Private Party were the young upstarts, and in the women's division it was Nyla Rose, Brandi Rhodes, and Awesome Kong. We know most of them have failed. I'm not sure which free agent talents were out there from the start they could have picked up that would have made a difference.

And it's not like they've given up on some of those projects either. From SCU to a half hearted singles run to Men of the Year they've kept Sky busy. Nyla's had a run with the title and been a challenger. Private Party in the HFO have at least kept them busy, but they've unfortunately been surpassed by the Acclaimed as heels and if not for injury Top Flight as faces.

4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Danielson and Omega are pretty good at the wrestling, aren’t they? That half hour flew by.

It also felt like that match didn't even begin to dig beneath the surface of what they could do, I'm expecting the fued to continue without anyone getting a solid win until maybe an Iron Man Match or something.

Everyone is very "omg piss off Cody crowd hated you", but Im pretty convinced that we saw a subtle heelturn for Cody in that match and AEW have executed it perfectly. He responded to the negative chants, and the ending had Cody pushing a official. Hell AEW knew that Brandi squaring up to Black cross leg was going to get a negative reaction.

But what was really telling was Cody collided into Arn but it didn't really effect Cody's chances of winning. Watch Cody blame Arn and slap him down on TV next week.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Supremo said:

All this, “Cody to turn heel,” stuff is a bit weird. Did you see his fucking cape?!

Magnificent, wasn't it? With this and his red suit last week, he definitely a cert for Best Dressed. 

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Great show. 

Thought Cody rose above the hate really well, but I suspect there might be a turn coming along soon. Possibly to feud with Punk, which I think could be excellent. 

If Punk and Cody begin a feud, see how long it takes before the fans speculate about them bringing in AJ to feud with Brandi or set up a mixed tag at a future PPV.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Really fun show. Loved the big match opening the show for that SNME type feel. Enjoyed that. Was Kenny/Bryan a 20 or 30 minute draw, because it was so good when the time limit went I couldn't believe the time had passed. 

It was 30, and I only know because watching it live I looked at my watch and it was past nearly 1:40am and the entrances weren’t that long (and watching it back it was announced as a 30 minute time limit) 

56 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That opener. Wow. As a debut match in a new promotion, that’s got to be one of greatest of all time, surely?

All this, “Cody to turn heel,” stuff is a bit weird. Did you see his fucking cape?! He’s already is a heel!

…Hangman Page doesn’t fit into this company anymore, does he? He might as well take the full year off for the kid at this point.

Thought exactly the same.

Full Gear main event is nailed on to be Omega/Danielson for the belt, probably with a 60 minute time limit. Makes a mockery of the rankings, but still.

Hangman will come back on the episode after Full Gear I reckon as it's in his hometown.

1 hour ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Everyone is very "omg piss off Cody crowd hated you", but Im pretty convinced that we saw a subtle heelturn for Cody in that match and AEW have executed it perfectly. He responded to the negative chants, and the ending had Cody pushing a official. Hell AEW knew that Brandi squaring up to Black cross leg was going to get a negative reaction.

But what was really telling was Cody collided into Arn but it didn't really effect Cody's chances of winning. Watch Cody blame Arn and slap him down on TV next week.

Yeah it was about as subtle as they'll get with it at the moment but they're smart enough to know that would be the reaction going in and played it up perfectly I thought. Let's just hope the follow up is decent.