The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Going back to the HUGE star thing, I wonder if they are playing on words and it will be someone like The Great Khali. 

I hope not, as much as for his sake as ours, if not more. He can't possibly be in any kind of shape to keep doing this. His joints must be powder by now.

• Paid Members

Absolute madness that there is a Barbed Wire Exploding Death Match on this show and no one is talking about it. I presume depending on the 'debut', it may not be spoken of much after the show either. Surprised they didn't keep the debut for the Dynamite after Revolution. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Absolute madness that there is a Barbed Wire Exploding Death Match on this show and no one is talking about it. I presume depending on the 'debut', it may not be spoken of much after the show either. Surprised they didn't keep the debut for the Dynamite after Revolution. 

To be fair up until they announced a huge signing the Barbed Wire match was being spoken of all the time, and the signing was only announced two days ago. Even then me and my mate were sending each other youtube clips of barbed wire matches. We should feel lucky there's more than one talking point for the upcoming PPV. 

While it was great to see Onita on TV, was that really the best clip they could’ve got to show the exploding barbed wire? I don’t know what the situation is with who (if anyone) owns the FMW footage, but that match with Mr Pogo (correct me if it was someone else) didn’t feature much of an explosion.

I hope whoever is reffing on Sunday is in the full bomb disposal suit

ZdLv6sE.jpg

Edited by WyattSheepMask

My worry is that AEW have backed themselves into a corner.

There's very few wrestlers that are on the level of the wording being used that would generate any serious buzz imo and a celebrity from another field would probably go over like a wet fart regardless of who it is. 

So unless the reveal is genuinely on a Cena, Brock or Rock level scale (and it's obviously none of them) they would have been better off just keeping the debut as a surprise imo. 

• Paid Members

The FMW tribute match was the talk of the town in the days following the announcement, then the Big Show rocked up and the HoF tease took over for the final week of hype. I'm not even watching week-to-week and I think that's a great build as it keeps a constant spin on what's going on.

And here's my HoF prediction; Shane McMahon.

Edited by Accident Prone

Get Flair in and complete the Four Horsemen quartet. Are they allowed to use the name Four Horsemen or is that WWE owned? Arn's already on board given he gave the symbol of excellence with Tully and JJ on Dynamite,

Failing that, it'll be Brandi to tell us what she and Cody have decided to name the baby and that the baby is signed to a multi-year deal.

Part of me is wishing that Big Show went into business for himself and added the “hall of fame worthy” lines off the cuff. Obviously whoever it is has already signed their contract and it’s a done deal, but I can just picture Tony Khan sitting in the back thinking “shit, now I’ve got to sign a massive name in the next 4 days”

It would be great if they’ve given Paul Wight a ‘NO MORE BS’ t-shirt only for his first introduction to AEW he has to create all this hype to sell a PPV, only to unveil Christian, Zelina Vega or Mauro sodding Ranallo as the ‘biggest scoop ever’ signing.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, Jackpot said:

Get Flair in and complete the Four Horsemen quartet. Are they allowed to use the name Four Horsemen or is that WWE owned? Arn's already on board given he gave the symbol of excellence with Tully and JJ on Dynamite,

Failing that, it'll be Brandi to tell us what she and Cody have decided to name the baby and that the baby is signed to a multi-year deal.

Arn owns the trademark for the Four Horsemen.

• Paid Members

Basically, the only thing the signing has to be is a bigger name than the Big Show.  Otherwise, they've got this totally arse-about-face. 

As far as the show goes - that was one of the most complete two hours I've seen them produce. Just a really, really fun show with very little that didn't work. The highlights for me:

People have complained before about 'Three Star Cody', but the other side of that is that he very rarely has stinkers. Shaq and Jade Cargill both over-delivered, but Cody in particular was doing some heavy lifting in that one. WWE must be kicking themselves they didn't do something with a more relevant Shaq back in the day if he was going to turn out to carry himself this well. Sure, it didn't land with the target demographic, but the target demographic don't give the slightest shit about Shaq. What they were after was what they got - coverage of it, and they got plenty.

Tully Blanchard is funny as hell. It's taken me ages to realise because he looks like the most miserable sod around, but when he teased the suicide dive and then strutted, I genuinely laughed out loud. Same when he started standing on Jungle Boy's hair too, and his celebration after. There's something just glorious about a heel that cheats as easily as he breathes. Absolutely the star of that match.

I've genuinely loved everything about the Women's tournament. It's been fresh, different, and hilarious at times. It hasn't always worked, but there's been a lot that has, and I care a lot more about the women's division now. The silliness is absolutely part of it, because when they drop it and kick the shit out of each other, it's so much fun. Ryo Mizunami and Nia was a really good cap-off to the whole thing as well. Both have looked great, and considering I didn't get much about Ryo when she first turned up, I now think she's magnificent. Her and Shida hitting the shit out of each other was great too. This feels like the kind of thing that could attract 'casual' fans much more than some other stuff. This was my favourite match on the show, and it feels like they've worked hard on the women's division.

Pretty hyped for Revolution.