The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

If Christian hadn't returned from retirement at the Rumble this definitely would have been a pretty big surprise. But as it stands, I fucking love Christian and there's loads of matches in AEW I'd love to see him in but he's not a huge huge surprise. Definitely should have switched the Christian/Big Show announcements around if this is the case.

• Paid Members
Just now, d-d-d-dAz said:

They’ve not had Lesnar merch for months. As someone who habitually checks new merch without buying, you can trust me.

There are no new figures in the works  either. The thing is the usually will have some kind of merch when a wrestler is off tv, even if it’s retro stuff. The same happened when Sting’s contract expired

40 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Christian as the All Star Wrestling babyface ace of GoodECW in 2009 was fucking brilliant, but his middle aged jaundice tanned arse wouldn't do it for me at the moment. Also, didn't Meltz say after the Rumble he was going to wrestle more often for WWE?

Classic case of “Plans change”.

Ugh, Christian. Come to think of it, he was in the MMA film that Moxley was in and that FITE TV helped finance wasn’t he?

Ugh, Christian.

On the flip side, Christian has been given an absolute fucking hospital pass here. They’ve tucked him right up. 

Him coming to AEW could have been a major moment which people were excited about, now you get the sense that people are just going to be annoyed.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

There are no new figures in the works  either. The thing is the usually will have some kind of merch when a wrestler is off tv, even if it’s retro stuff. The same happened when Sting’s contract expired

I recall there being something about Brock having 2 contracts/agreements with WWE, one as a performer & one for merch/licencing (the latter possibly being a holdover from when he first "returned" in the video game?)

His contract as a performer expired just after Mania, the merch deal at the end of August - IIRC all his merch was pulled from the sites overnight on August 31st/September 1st.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

On the flip side, Christian has been given an absolute fucking hospital pass here. They’ve tucked him right up. 

Him coming to AEW could have been a major moment which people were excited about, now you get the sense that people are just going to be annoyed.

It didn’t work for TNA when he would still have been considered young, it will go down like a wet fart now. 

If Christian did end up in AEW I think it would go down well, but not if he was the man given all this hype

The announcement will come just before the tag team battle royal with Big Show uttering the words;

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, AEW proudly presents to you it's brand new signing the Road Dogg Jesse James"

And then he comes out, partnering Billy Gunn to go and win the Battle Royal 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It didn’t work for TNA when he would still have been considered young, it will go down like a wet fart now. 

If Christian did end up in AEW I think it would go down well, but not if he was the man given all this hype

He was ace in TNA to give him his due

I'd be excited for Christian (or Christian Cage as they'd presumable have to call him which immediately lowers his stock even more due TNA stink) if they do Vince's amazing blue dot idea.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

He was ace in TNA to give him his due

Totally. I even bought a shirt when I went to the Impact Zone in 2007. But he didn’t bump the needle is my point. They are hyping this as this will make a massive impact (pun not intended), and he’s not the star they need in that regard.

To be fair, they’ve not said it’s a needle mover. There’s very few needlemovers in today’s deflated market and every single one of them would get an offer from AEW, immediately ring Vince and then be offered what they needed to not go to AEW.

AEW have made a rod for their own back with this. Christian is a tremendous wrestler, capable of really good matches (his best run is hands down TNA in my opinion) and no one is going to care because they want the exhumed corpse of Eddie Guerrero.

The fact they didn't hype up the signings of Sting or Big Show make me think they really do feel whoever this new bloke is, is the bees fucking knees. Or at least they want fans to think that way of him. And, with all the will in the world, Christian isn't that person. So it's got to be a genuinely huge name in the business or one of the Elite's bumchums who they want a big deal made of.

Or they'll give -1 his first professional contract.