The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Rumours Batista has had conversations with Khan are on Twitter. He’s not in the HoF yet. Kurt has announced a new podcast series as an announcement so hopefully that rules him out

If it's one of those Conrad Thompson "buy our chewable dick pills" podcasts does that not make it more likely to be Angle? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

14 minutes ago, robinbobs said:

AEW is embarrassingly shit.

Some of it might be shit but overall they've done a pretty solid job and delivered most of the top moments in wrestling over the past year. So not sure you can call it embarrassingly shit as a blanket statement.

So Dark starts with commentary joking about the show being filmed last week and Team Taz going about as normal like nothing happened Sunday, I likely wouldn't care so much but I imagine every little thing is going to feel amplified after the big fuck up.

Be interesting to see the fallout from the PPV tonight. Currently there are 4 matches promoted for the show

Darby Allin v Scorpio Sky for the TNT Title

Matt Jackson v Rey Fenix

Ethan Page v Lee Johnson

Hikaru Shida, Ryu Mizunami and Thunder Rosa v Britt Baker, Nyla Rose and Maki Itoh

Plus promos from Sting and Christian Cage and the Inner Circle War Council

28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I hope Scorpio Sky has to walk around with that brass ring looking like a twat.

I hope Ortiz falls in the pool outside Daily's Place and Sky has to throw the ring in to save him.

It's the first time I'll be watching the show mentally through my fingers. Someone pointed out earlier re: the jokey continuity comments on Dark, any fuckups or attempts to brush things off are only going to feel worse in the current atmosphere. I'm swinging wildly between thinking they should own their fuckup and recolour it the way others have said by paying Kingston and Moxley heavy bonuses to promo their way out of it, and thinking it's a TV show, so just edit or recut the ending and plough on with the planned storyline. Hell, get the guys back and reshoot the explosion, cut it into all the feeds, just Mandela the fuck out of it and carry on.

• Paid Members

This TNT title match is too close to the PPV to make Scorpio Sky look good. If he wins it's because Darby Allin has gone through hell in that street fight, if he loses then he's not been able to beat Darby Allin even after everything he went through in the street fight. And that's assuming he's selling the effects of that match in the first place. Give it a few weeks before the match and have Sky champing at the bit because he knows Darby is weak at the moment, especially if they're trying to get him over as a heel.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

This TNT title match is too close to the PPV to make Scorpio Sky look good. If he wins it's because Darby Allin has gone through hell in that street fight, if he loses then he's not been able to beat Darby Allin even after everything he went through in the street fight. And that's assuming he's selling the effects of that match in the first place. Give it a few weeks before the match and have Sky champing at the bit because he knows Darby is weak at the moment, especially if they're trying to get him over as a heel.

If you want to get Scorpio over as a hell have him replace Excalibur for one match.

I’d have Kingston and Moxley start the show in the ring and then blow the fucker up properly and then spend the next 2 hours letting the smoke clear.

As the show ends, the smoke clears and Sid is stood among the wreckage.

He fist bumps the wreckage.

Nobody complains.

• Paid Members

Tony Khan mentioned they had plans to have the women main event Dynamite in the near future. That’s got to be Britt Baker’s big moment, surely? I assume she pins the champion in that 6-woman tag to get the ball rolling.

• Paid Members

I don't mind Scorpio Sky but his booking has been weird as fuck. The Tag Title tournament was basically a vehicle to get HIM over and I thought it worked really well. I went from not giving a shit about him to actually cheering out loud, on the bus, when he and Kazarian won the titles. I was really invested in him, and his story.

That was in 2019 though. They done fuck all with him since. I'd actually thought he'd retired or something. They surely can't (a) be planning to put the title on him or (b) expect the audience to take him seriously as a contender, which makes you wonder why he's in that spot?

On a positive note, the Dark Order segment on BTE did a good bit to win me back over. I absolutely love that lot.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

That was in 2019 though. They done fuck all with him since. I'd actually thought he'd retired or something. They surely can't (a) be planning to put the title on him or (b) expect the audience to take him seriously as a contender, which makes you wonder why he's in that spot?

He's had a few injuries - he made the point recently that he's had half a dozen matches in the last 6 months. He's referenced a knee injury in 2021, and I'm willing to bet that's why he wasn't around much in the latter half of 2020 (either that or Covid concerns). Clearly, they see something in him. It's not difficult to see why - he's a handsome lad and he can go. If you see him doing stuff outside of the ring, he's pretty charismatic, but they've struggled to get that across so far.

This is basically his return, and they've giving him a heel-turn and a higher presence on the card than he had before. I'm guessing the heel-turn is in the hopes he can show more than he has before. He's worth taking a shot on, I reckon. If he can make the pieces fit, he'll be a solid upper-card hand.

18 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Some of it might be shit but overall they've done a pretty solid job and delivered most of the top moments in wrestling over the past year. So not sure you can call it embarrassingly shit as a blanket statement.

The fact they’ve been strong is what makes the shitty moments stand out, I’d say. Heck, and when they fail, they still fail in a way that leaves them the most talked about thing in wrestling. 

In this case it was deflating, for me at least, because you could see that if the explosion had actually looked half-way decent, this would have been one hell of an angle. Kingston running down to protect his old friend, struggling to pull him to safety and failing, before realising his only option was to sacrifice himself.

If the explosion hadn’t been so shot? Wow, what a moment that would have been. It would instantly have propelled Kingston to a whole new level.

Everyone is set on Adam Page eventually winning the title from Omega, but if this had paid off? Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to see Kingston be that man.

Sunday night wasn’t deflating because it was ‘embarrassingly shit’ - it’s because it’s completely clear this should have been one of the best and most memorable angles AEW has ever done.