The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
Just now, Chris B said:

He's had a few injuries - he made the point recently that he's had half a dozen matches in the last 6 months. He's referenced a knee injury in 2021, and I'm willing to bet that's why he wasn't around much in the latter half of 2020 (either that or Covid concerns). Clearly, they see something in him. It's not difficult to see why - he's a handsome lad and he can go. If you see him doing stuff outside of the ring, he's pretty charismatic, but they've struggled to get that across so far.

This is basically his return, and they've giving him a heel-turn and a higher presence on the card than he had before. I'm guessing the heel-turn is in the hopes he can show more than he has before. He's worth taking a shot on, I reckon. If he can make the pieces fit, he'll be a solid upper-card hand.

Ah that makes a bit of sense. I had a feeling he'd been injured but I didn't realise it was more than one. I thought it might've been COVID too but he was on BTE a lot when things really started to kick off.

As I said, I like him. Hopefully this push works out for him. It just seems like such an odd spot to put someone in when they are so cold. I suppose that could work for the story as well though.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Ah that makes a bit of sense. I had a feeling he'd been injured but I didn't realise it was more than one. I thought it might've been COVID too but he was on BTE a lot when things really started to kick off.

Yeah, he was around for a little bit - that's when he did his Dark run. Then he basically vanished. Guessing it was either illness, injuries or just some time off. If he wasn't able to be around for storylines, random matches is as good as he could do for a little while.

9 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

In this case it was deflating, for me at least, because you could see that if the explosion had actually looked half-way decent, this would have been one hell of an angle. Kingston running down to protect his old friend, struggling to pull him to safety and failing, before realising his only option was to sacrifice himself.

If the explosion hadn’t been so shot? Wow, what a moment that would have been. It would instantly have propelled Kingston to a whole new level.

I watched the explosions again (partly because it's still hilarious) and I really reckon the plan was for them all to go off together. The ringposts have an explosion with them as well as the sad fizzle, and then the ring ropes have explosions and then the ones around the ring. If they all went off at the same time, the smoke would have obscured a lot more, and it would have been a much better visual. They still needed twice as much, don't get me wrong - but there's no way they were meant to go off one at a time.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I watched the explosions again (partly because it's still hilarious) and I really reckon the plan was for them all to go off together. The ringposts have an explosion with them as well as the sad fizzle, and then the ring ropes have explosions and then the ones around the ring. If they all went off at the same time, the smoke would have obscured a lot more, and it would have been a much better visual. They still needed twice as much, don't get me wrong - but there's no way they were meant to go off one at a time.

I think there’s a chance they’d have gotten away with it had everything gone off at once. It wouldn’t have been particularly spectacular, but the emotional weight of the Kingston doing what he did may have made the whole thing feel passable. It’s such a shame.

One thing I have realised from all of this is how invested I feel in Eddie Kingston becoming World Champion - possibly more so than I am in Adam Page winning the belt (which is something I’d also love to see).

I am honestly baffled at the number of people who rate Eddie Kingston highly.

He looks a bag of shit, I think his promos are hugely overrated and I've never once seen him in a match and it increased my interest.

• Paid Members

Mox and Kingston did the best they could considering the situation, but it wasn't until Omega and Callis doubled down and they had the brawl with Mox and Kingston that it really clicked. Considering how big a dud the PPV ending was, they've managed to come out the other side looking acceptably better.

Speaking of duds, really wasn't into the show this week. Thought everything just felt off. 

Could have done without Cody who yet again took up a nice big chunk of the show to do fuck all.

Women's match was sloppy, mostly due to Maki Itoh who really struggled with pretty much every part of the match. Those mic shots were embarrassing. Britt vs Thunder should be great next week though.

Could really do without Scorpio Sky, nevermind a heel turn if his time on the mic a couple of weeks ago was anything to go by. 

The stable thing has jumped the shark for me. Two new ones in one show and neither make sense. Matt Hardy recruits Butcher, Blade & Bunny so now it's a group with 2 managers and two teams who don't make any sense together. Then the MJF one which also doesn't make sense. MJF doesn't fit at all with Tully & FTR, and Shawn Spears is still unwelcome. Felt like people were just getting thrown together for no reason, though I imagine the Inner Circle vs MJF's group will have a big match down the road, it'll be hard to take Inner Circle as faces with the members they have. 

Ethan Page is giving Kip Sabian a good run for most vanilla on the roster. Whoever thought giving your new signing 15 minutes with a jobber and also combining it with a QT Marshall storyline was a good idea needs sacking.

Matt Jackson vs Fenix was decent.

Jim Ross is a chore at this point. He really needs fucking off. As is this Miro vs Chuck programme. Fucking hell just end it already. Get Miro and Orange Cassidy away from these losers.

I don't know. Maybe I'm still cooled off on the product after the PPV, but this week was a genuine bore to sit through. Not many people I wanted to see and a lot of it felt like a reset that didn't need doing. It'll hopefully get back on track soon. 

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I quite liked it.

Opening match was really good. Page & the Dark Order all on one lawnmower was hilarious. TNT title match was decent. All the Mox/Kingston/Omega stuff was good telly and actually covered for the dud explosion better than I expected. Butcher & Blade definitely don't fit with Private Party but I found the image of them together funny and hopefully they play that up over the next few weeks. Having these twenty year old party kids forced to have to hang out with these demented middle aged monsters by Big Money Matt has lots of potential. Penta was fucking ace, finally being the arsehole he always should be, looking ace in his suit and mask. Maki Itoh signing her dumb music throughout the opening of the 6 person tag also made me laugh.

Ethan Page is absolutely generic shit and a waste of whatever money they're paying him. And who do they think is ever going to care about a QT Marshall story? Sting being interrupted (again) but by Lance Archer was more boring than intriguing. Archer should be a babyface running around destroying fools, not mixing it up with Sting. Scorpio Sky's post match overreacting needs to fuck right off. Also, what's an Arcade Games Around The Ring match? Please end this Best Friends/Miro feud.

As for the ending angle, I thought it was a neat twist. Shawn Spears is terrible of course but teaming MJF up with the nastiest, most miserable, unflashiest heels on the roster seems good to me. People were predicting this stable before MJF joined the Inner Circle so it's kind of cool that they've finally got to it. Inner Circle have done all they can as heels so I'm all in on this big stable feud. 

EDIT: just realized that Penta is probably going to break Cody's arm next week and I'm really fucking excited for that.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

That Mox / Kingston segment was great, a lot better than I expected them to do. Kingston is absolute gold, the realest man in all wrestling.

Fenix / Jackson was good until the finish that seemed straight out of mid-2000's ROH. Superkick to Fenix who falls straight In to a kip up and a kick straight back to Jackson. Superkicks are as common as punches these days.

I honestly think Cody is the most unlikeable person in the company, and that's saying something following a Young Bucks match.

The Schiavone / Sting stuff needs to end, it's so over played. Sting needs to go away for a while now.

Ethan Page was always going to struggle, outside of The North, there's not a lot going on with him. Even the Karate Man stuff couldn't make him interesting. 

It never fails to make me wonder why Justin Roberts gets high profile jobs, the over pronouncing of names is the dirt worst.

As mentioned above, the whole Stable stuff has really run its course now and I love me a good stable. 

It was a huge risk leaning in to the ring not exploding, but they have managed to make it work, Callis is great in this feud. Could do without the useless Good Brothers lingering about because Kenny and Callis look great together. I've gone from wanting Page to take the title from Kenny, to wanting Kingston to win it eventually. Imagine how emotional that would be with his backstory. It would be on par with Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania 30 if done right, which I think AEW could do.

"69 me Don" made me rewind to see if I had heard correctly, then I burst out laughing when I indeed heard it right, what a brilliant line.

Christian Vs Omega could be good for a 1 and done. Who would have thought in 2021 that Edge and Christian would both be challenging for the main belt in two companies.

Shida going down holding the kendo stick to her own neck on the outside was hilarious. It was like Vikki had forgotten what she was supposed to be doing.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

Just watched the interview with mox and Kingston. They pulled that off just about as well as they could. The big move will be how they write moxley off TV now. I have a feeling Omega will blow him up somehow. 

How in 2021 im so invested in Eddie fucking Kingston is beyond me, but i am. 

Edited by quote the raven

10 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I am honestly baffled at the number of people who rate Eddie Kingston highly.

He looks a bag of shit, I think his promos are hugely overrated and I've never once seen him in a match and it increased my interest.

Whilst I think Kingston is fantastic, I do agree that he looks like shit as far as his physique goes. I'm not saying he needs to get shredded, or even lose the belly but a little bit of muscle could go a long way for him.

20 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Whilst I think Kingston is fantastic, I do agree that he looks like shit as far as his physique goes. I'm not saying he needs to get shredded, or even lose the belly but a little bit of muscle could go a long way for him.

I still think that if people are watching Eddie Kingston and they're worried about how he looks, they're really not getting him at all.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, scouseman said:

how is Maki Itoh able to be on AEW TV without having to be in isolation due to Covid travel regulations? Was she not in Japan recently.  

It's a requirement the other way. I believe its not a requirement in Florida - if she's tested, she's allowed to work etc. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I still think that if people are watching Eddie Kingston and they're worried about how he looks, they're really not getting him at all.

This, exactly this. Granted, his singlet tucked into his basket ball shorts isn't a great look in the ring, he could go the Kassius Ohno route with a baggy vest, but as he said in his promo 'It's 98 in my head forever'. His look is part of the character for me, hes an everyman.