The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

25 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If you don't like wrestling then literally everything about wrestling will make you change the channel. Who gives a fuck.

100%.

Why are people so obsessed with what these mythical “casual fans” think? Are there genuinely people out there who catch the odd bit of wrestling and decide it’s not for them purely based on Eddie Kingston’s attire?

• Paid Members

The casuals are only won over by realistic wrestling and characters, which is why the casual high-point included things like Scotty-2-Hotty's finishing move, 'The Worm', Rikishi shoving his ass in people's faces, and 'Mr Socko'. Realism is the important thing that's been lost.

• Paid Members

There certainly was a casual fanbase as its no coincidence that the WWF's audience reached such heights, only to pretty much lose them all during the 2000's. 

There were/are millions of people that loved Attitude Era WWF, and to a lesser extent nWo-led WCW, as it really was storyline led and "a soap opera in spandex."

The matches didn't tend to last more than 5 mins anyway so even if you weren't that into the actual wrestling it didn't matter that much, Stone Cold would stun the shit out of someone and down some beers in the next segment.

I can't say I don't have at least some sympathy with that viewpoint, as a kid and to this day I often found the actual bell to bell matches themselves to be the least enjoyable part of any wrestling show, unless done very well. Bret Hart was the only wrestler whose matches I'd never be tempted to fast forward to get to the finisher.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Also, we weren't all on wrestling forums and twitter and reddit and constantly highlighting any botches. I swear, if Survivor Series 1998 happened this week, the main talking points would be Gerald Brisco's chairshot to Steve Austin and Vince McMahon not being able to put the title on The Rock's waist and having to hold it with his hand.

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The casuals are only won over by realistic wrestling and characters, which is why the casual high-point included things like Scotty-2-Hotty's finishing move, 'The Worm', Rikishi shoving his ass in people's faces, and 'Mr Socko'. Realism is the important thing that's been lost.

Indeed. Bring back REAL SPORTS BUILD. 

17 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

There certainly was a casual fanbase as its no coincidence that the WWF's audience reached such heights, only to pretty much lose them all during the 2000's.

Between 97-2001 wrestling became cool for a period to non fans because of the edgy content and characters like Austin and The Rock.  Then after a while it returned to being the usual embarrassing shit that only kids and geeks would watch. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Utter, utter bullshit.

I think there was an element of 'of its time' though. The WWF's edginess seemed to coincide with the rise of South Park etc and such pop culture, so I don't think you can dismiss it completely, although it wasn't the main reason.

Not gonna lie. I've genuinely watched this about 10 times today. After everything I felt after the PPV, it's a fucking miracle that I keep having a smile on my face after this. I know it's been discussed but it deserves to go in here and watched forever by everyone. Just two genuinely cool motherfuckers.

12 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I think there was an element of 'of its time' though. The WWF's edginess seemed to coincide with the rise of South Park etc and such pop culture, so I don't think you can dismiss it completely, although it wasn't the main reason.

One day I'll train and explain this, but the above is something I been thinking about for ages, these cultural time shifts where it all moves to another direction, likethis in late 97-2000 or for some reason in my head 1992-1993 feels like some massive change in the actual world in pop culture. (or just mine at the time).