The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I really hope they don't call MJF & chums the Horsemen. It wouldn't feel right without Flair. Even through the last years with Malenko, Mongo and the likes Flair was a constant. People will pop for it, I'm sure, but Spears would be in danger of usurping Paul Roma's "most undeserving" spot. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I think there was an element of 'of its time' though. The WWF's edginess seemed to coincide with the rise of South Park etc and such pop culture, so I don't think you can dismiss it completely, although it wasn't the main reason.

Yeah, "Attitude" came about off the back of Howard Stern and Jerry Springer, and roughly in line with South Park, and a general pop culture atmosphere of being crass and "edgy" for its own sake. 

That the WWF's last true boom period happened at that time and not by doing the exact same thing in, say, 2011, is an argument that wrestling is at its most successful when it resonates with the rest of the zeitgeist than that wrestling needs to be "edgy" to succeed a priori.

If anything, some of the most cringeworthy moments in wrestling came from WWE and TNA trying to be "edgy" and offensive in the early and mid-00s when that wasn't the mood of the times any more.

If you don't like Maki Itoh, you need to have some joy transplanted into you. Is she bad at the actual in ring wrestling? Yes, but I don't care. She's great. Maki's character is a narcissist who has to get her shit in before the match starts. It's not hard to understand folks. 

The 2 big angles were really good. The part of me that turns the kayfabe button on in my head when I watch wrestling wants Eddie Kingston to beat the shit out of Kenny Omega after last night. Christian declaring his intentions is fine. In story, he came to AEW to wrestle for the big belt not wrestle in the opener of Dark so it makes sense to me. 

Biggest plus point of Team MJF vs Inner Circle is we get Santana/Ortiz vs FTR which should be fun. Its pretty obvious Tony is a big ECW fan with the amount of lights going out before the big reveal he's booked in the past 18 months.

When Mox and Kingston are done with Omega, I want them to go for the tag titles. I'm here for their buddy cop shtick. 

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

If anyone channel flipping happened to come across that, they are changing the channel asap. Awful. 

Good, fuck ‘em.

There are no casual fans of anything anymore, there is content everywhere and everything is segmented.

Stop hankering back to some mythical time wrestling was cool and enjoy a thing without longing for a day when you’ll see Road Dogg American football tops around town again.

If there is a way to draw the mainstream in (There isn’t) then you know who isn’t going to figure it out? Niche weirdos like us. We don’t know what they think.

They won’t like it anyway and I don’t see why that should have any impact on whether I do.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, danlewis said:

Good, fuck ‘em.

There are no casual fans of anything anymore, there is content everywhere and everything is segmented.

Stop hankering back to some mythical time wrestling was cool and enjoy a thing without longing for a day when you’ll see Road Dogg American football tops around town again.

If there is a way to draw the mainstream in (There isn’t) then you know who isn’t going to figure it out? Niche weirdos like us. We don’t know what they think.

They won’t like it anyway and I don’t see why that should have any impact on whether I do.

tenor.gif.38e2b15024c65e7341b47c193727460a.gif

• Paid Members

I feel like the ending angle should have been split into two angles. Was MJFs original plan to form a 9 person stable to fuck up Chris Jericho?

They should have started the show with Jericho kicking MJF out the Inner Circle, then at the end of the show or following week MJF reveals he's got a stable of his own and attacks the Inner Circle.

Wardlow looked like a sexy wild beast out there though. What a man. Almost makes up for that useless gobshite Spears being involved.

Agree with other people that the guy translating Penta has something. I think they'd be good as a permanent act. Or they can bring in Dario Cueto. Hope this is a proper push for a heelish Penta. When given the chance he's a glorious evil dick.

• Paid Members

I thought this was one of the best post-PPV episodes they’ve ever done.

Normally, coming off a big show, they’ve a tendency to have awkward, disjointed segments as they pivot to new directions. Cody’s the main offender but it’s usually across the board. It takes a good few weeks before they get things going properly.

There wasn’t any of that this week. Everything flowed naturally and all the new directions already excite me.

But yeah. Penta. What a joy to see him step up! Looked the absolute business in his suit and mask. I’ve no idea who his translator was but that’s a brilliant gimmick that should become a regular thing. Penta shouts something in Spanish and then his slimy mate translates it. Proper Anderson Silva and Ed Soares energy.

Cracking episode this week, best in ages. 

Moxley/Kingston and Page/Dark Oder are my favourite things right now. Fun, likable lads that feel real and natural interacting with each other. Moxley and Kingston could have said any old bollocks to explain the dud away and it wouldn't of mattered, because their cool, electric chemistry overshadows all. Them fobbing off Impact was fucking GOLD. More of this!

Omega was back to his infuriating dickhead best. He really should stick to live in-ring promos instead of the location meta stuff, he's sneaky good (although Callis had an off night). The fake countdown tease and "69 me Don" was piss funny and genius in the way that it diverted the chatter and memes from Sunday's dud. It'll be interesting seeing the reactions to Christian going forward because Kingston vs Omega feels like the natural path. They could have a Daniel Bryan situation on their hands.

The closing angle was big daft wrestling fun. Can't wait to finally see MJF break away and do his thing. The smirk on Tully's face as he handed him the bat has me dizzy at the potential this grouping. Such a no frills bunch of boys will make MJF stand out all the more, and if Shawn Spears has to be on tv, at least he'll be in the background in the Jake Hager role.

Penta looked mint stepping up from the commentary booth to berate Cody. His physical charisma is off the charts. I'm loving the elevation of him and Fenix and I can't wait until he breaks that insufferable prick Cody and sends him packing.

Britt and Rosa cutting promos on each other would've been preferable to bogging them down with frivolous crap. Main event next week sounds cool though. It's a shame the announcement was preceded by such a trainwreck of a match.

Darby/Sky was a corker. Scorpio is lame but I'm willing to give him time. Darby continues to shine.

QT Marshall and Best Friends continue to be utterly worthless. Like Spears, it's just blatant Cronyism. 

Only thing I really disliked is the constant yanking about of Lance Archer. He's never getting that momentum back. Him vs Sting and/or Darby sounds decent if he hadn't already just turned. But they've Big Show'd him in record time.