The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

22 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

This where Kingston succeeds where so many others absolutely fail. The flip flop nature of so many of the characters in AEW - especially guys like Cody and the Bucks - is so annoying because it's impossible to get behind them or against them because there's no clear path there.

I really wish The Bucks and Omega, in particular, had less creative freedom. The most frustrating part about them is you can absolutely see what their characters either could, or should be - but they seem oblivious to it. The Omega/Page vs Bucks feud, followed by the Bucks superkicking several announcers seemed, to me, to be a slow build towards a heel turn. But it doesn't seem like that was actually the plan, or maybe it was until the Impact relationship happened. But really, would Omega be better off right now with The Good Brothers and Callis by his side, or a heel version of the talented-but-already-unlikableĀ Young Bucks?

Ā 

Decided to stay up and watch the show live.Ā 

Wasn't as impressed with the Kingston promo as others here.Ā 

Unpopular opinion but I liked Ethan Page. I'd swap Spears out for him in MJF's new faction.Ā 

Get the belt off Shida. Shocking that the champion is such an afterthought.Ā 

Woman's match was sloppy but fun at times.

Adam Page finally got his lawnmower.

Loved the final segment but there was way too much talking this week imo.Ā 

JR was absolutely shocking and the commentary in general was all over the place.Ā 

All in all a pretty chaotic episode of Dynamite imo and not always in a good way.Ā 

• Paid Members

The only thing I really really disliked was former New Japan announcer Jim Ross mockingĀ Excalibur for knowing what a Kokeshi headbutt was.

Penta's got a thing for breaking arms doesn't he? Could be a nice way to write Cody off TV. I enjoyedĀ Alex Abrahantes with Penta as well. He wasn't out and out heelish. It came off more that he completely believed what he was translating. It was a nice touch.

As others have said, Mox and Kingston together was great. I do think they rushed the break up of Kingston's family though. I feel like there was a story there and they just completely ignored it. Eddie looked like a star though, and Omega selling ONEĀ punch like it was death was great. Can't say I'm too enthusiastic about Christian vs Omega though.

I enjoyed the last segment even if it did fall into the "Oceans 11" trap that a lot of wrestling angles are guilty of these days. So Jericho found out that MJF was setting him up so decided to set him up but MJF knew that Jericho would find out and that was the real set up? It didn't make a whole of sense but the performances saved it.

Maki Itoh ignoring the match to finish her song was hilarious. Genuinely laugh out loud funny.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Chili said:

My casual fan mate who I watch AEW with describes Eddie everytime she sees his work on the show as 'the guy too good be doing wrestling.'

Better then being the bestĀ Robbie Williams tribute act in New York.

Show overall was good. Not a fan of Ethan Page. Itā€™s like someone asked for an even more bland Johnny Gargano. The start of MJFā€™s new group is interesting, so that could be a load of fun.

Most impressive thing though was how they wrote themselves out of the corner. Mox and Robbies Williams lookalike, Kingston were amazing in getting their story over. Throw in Kenny and Donā€™s promo later on and almost all is forgiven. Compare how AEW booked getting over that to WWE and the eye for eye match where Rey lost an eye, but was back to normal a few weeks later, and itā€™s night and day.

Lastly, yeah not big into Christian/Kenny, but of course a legend of a wrestler (in terms of achievement) expects to swan in and go to the top of the list. What will be interesting is what happens when he fails.

@Egg ShenĀ thatā€™s less embarrassing then Alexa Bliss cutting a promo and Randy coughing up goo if your going to take a section at random.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

5 hours ago, Nick James said:

This, exactly this. Granted, his singlet tucked into his basket ball shorts isn't a great look in the ring, he could go the Kassius Ohno route with a baggy vest, but as he said in his promo 'It's 98 in my head forever'. His look is part of the character for me, hes an everyman.Ā 

I don't think he is an everyman though is he?

I've always thought his character was intended to be a tough guy from the streets. He looks and seems like one of your mates dads who thinks hes absolute nails but is a fanny.

All in all, a brilliant episode of Dynamite, worked their way out of a corner with the explosion, Mox and Eddie together as the ultimate baby face tag team, and Kenny & Don cutting brilliant promos. Loved it.

MJF and the Horsemen vs The Inner Circle in a Blood & Guts match is money, and they've got so many different singles/tag matches they can get out of that feud, great booking. Inner Circle didn't look like a bunch of jabronis, like the usual WWE faces usually do.

Penta vs Cody should be a cracker next week as well.

Also, more wholesome Hangman content is always a plus.Ā 

46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

If anyone channel flipping happened to come across that, they are changing the channel asap. Awful.Ā 

It didn't mind this, but the match itself was pretty terrible. I don't know whether it was a language barrier between some of the performers, a clash of styles, or something else entirely, but it wasn't great.Ā 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

If anyone channel flipping happened to come across that, they are changing the channel asap. Awful.Ā 

If you don't like wrestling then literally everything about wrestling will make you change the channel. Who gives a fuck.