The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Sammy Guevara could be in trouble for that rape comment. His follow workers on twitter are pretty fucking outraged. Rightly so, too.

I doubt it. The comment was made in 2016 when Sammy was 22 years old and he's given a fairly genuine sounding apology for it. A fucking idiotic thing to say no doubt but not worth kicking off over.

EDIT: Scratch that, he's now been suspended and put on sensitivity training. His pay is being donated to a women's shelter.

Edited by LaGoosh

I'm not sure what context you would even say that which confuses me, was that example a few years back on MOTD where someone ( forgot who ) said oh he absolutely raped him there as in beat him for pace which while not a nice thing to say on tv I've actually heard in context of football

Not sure what Sammy was going for there tho

24 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I'm not sure what context you would even say that which confuses me, was that example a few years back on MOTD where someone ( forgot who ) said oh he absolutely raped him there as in beat him for pace which while not a nice thing to say on tv I've actually heard in context of football

Pardew.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

He literally was saying she was so attractive that he wanted to rape her. I'm not sure what you're confused about. 

I think they're handling this fairly well. It'sa severe wrist-slap for speaking like an edge-lord, and bringing the company into disrepute.

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

He literally was saying she was so attractive that he wanted to rape her. I'm not sure what you're confused about. 

I think they're handling this fairly well. It'sa severe wrist-slap for speaking like an edge-lord, and bringing the company into disrepute.

I haven't seen it but doubt that anyone watching seriously thought that he actually wanted to rape her, nor did he rape her, or for all we know ever said such a thing ever again. 

His comment was inappropriate and as such a public slapped wrist as well as his apology and Sachas tweet confirming he had apologised to her was in order. Can't wait for people exposing what his pay was for whatever the period of his suspension is. 

I'm probably wrong here but I feel that most people probably said something aged 22 that they would now think inappropriate and wouldn't dream of saying in retrospect. I also think that society is changing rapidly, and for the better, but judging people on comments of this nature from the past seems counter productive and is taking focus off of what #speakingout should really be all about. 

• Paid Members

I’m pretty sure when I was 22 I knew not to say or even think ‘phworrr, She’s fit id rape her’. 

I think people are giving an easy out by saying that he was a youngster at the ripe old age of 22. Whether it was said as a joke or not, it’s not something you should be saying regardless.

AEW have rightly taken the correct action, good on them for acting quickly.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I’m pretty sure when I was 22 I knew not to say or even think ‘phworrr, She’s fit id rape her’. 

Me too. But we're not the same as everyone else. Listen to a group of youngsters talking about football and it's like a different language. 

This is inexcusable but no one is making an excuse. Just reasons why although it's awful, it's not a reason to end the lads career. It seems a very fair punishment. Hopefully other people see and hear about this and think about what they're saying.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think they're handling this fairly well. It's a severe wrist-slap for speaking like an edge-lord, and bringing the company into disrepute.

We had an intern on our team last year around Sammy's then-age, who got a bit carried away in the office banter and used that term regarding one of the secretaries, and roundly and immediately got a bollocking for it from the rest of the team. There are smarter ways to describe how attractive you find someone than saying you'd like to sexually assault them. I really hope this isn't a generational language thing.

I can’t help but feel that had this been someone lower on the roster, let’s say that guy who plays The Librarian for arguments sake, then he’d have already been sent packing which is also probably what would’ve happened had any of us said such a thing at our jobs. Being involved with Jericho, who will have probably gone to bat for him (although let’s not forget that photo in that lift of him getting off with someone who definitely wasn’t his wife), could’ve saved Sammy his job on this occasion, as well as Sasha herself, I think it says a lot about her that she reached out.

Having said that, AEW have said they will reasses once he’s completed this sensitivity training, so I imagine he’ll come back on the proviso that if he gets in any other trouble then he’s gone.

Clearly AEW had to do something, but this isn’t Frasier Crane asking a woman if they’re turned on during a heated, sexual tension heavy argument, Sammy said “when I was at WWE the other week, I wanted to just go fucking rape that woman”. They say context is key, but in any real world job you’re out on your arse after saying that in any context.

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Swapped paragraphs around

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I can’t help but feel that had this been someone lower on the roster, let’s say that guy who plays The Librarian for arguments sake, then he’d have already been sent packing which is also probably what would’ve happened had any of us said such a thing at our jobs. Being involved with Jericho, who will have probably gone to bat for him, could’ve saved Sammy his job on this occasion.

Having said that, AEW have said they will reasses once he’s completed this sensitivity training, so I imagine he’ll come back on the proviso that if he gets in any other trouble then he’s gone.

Clearly AEW had to do something, but this isn’t Frasier Crane asking a woman if they’re turned on during a heated, sexual tension heavy argument, Sammy said “when I was at WWE the other week, I wanted to just go fucking rape that woman”. They say context is key, but in any real world job you’re out on your arse after saying that in any context.

Agreed. I like Sammy but I can't help but think he's getting off light reaction-wise just because he's entertaining. I've seen way too many people playing it down, going "Right. Move on" and acting like he's been treated unfairly. I saw one guy going "If I was a wrestler I wouldn't pay any attention to women wrestlers or valets now. It just isn't worth it" as if the outrage was because he'd complimented her hair or something.

It was a horrible comment that normalised sexual assault and sexism within the wrestling industry. I'm glad AEW took action against him.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I can’t help but feel that had this been someone lower on the roster, let’s say that guy who plays The Librarian for arguments sake, then he’d have already been sent packing which is also probably what would’ve happened had any of us said such a thing at our jobs. 

We won't know but that sort of thing is entirely normal in this environment. Someone who is an asset is treated differently to someone who isn't. Look at the Derby County drink drive case. Keogh, who was old and a burden on the wage bill, was sacked. Lawrence, who is young and cost millions recently, was retained. 

• Paid Members

I don't think Sammy's got off lightly to be honest. What he said was utterly deplorable, but (on record) he's said it once, 4 years ago before AEW even existed and as soon as it's came to light he's given probably the most genuine sounding apology of this entire ordeal, spoken directly to the person he said it about who accepted his apology and then posted herself saying they had spoken about it, and then he got suspended without pay almost immediately. 
Fair enough if he was going round saying this sort of thing all the time, or god forbid he ever acted on it or anything similar, then sack him, arrest him and all that. 

I was saying this to my mates last night. Everyone's gutted that it's Sammy because he's been fucking fantastic in AEW. It's shit that it's one of the guys that was a highlight of the company and you could consider to be the future. So yeah, shit timing - not that there's ever good timing for such behaviour but still. You can't help but just feel that extra bit of disappointment.

I'm glad they've done something about it. I'm glad Sammy apologised, and I'm glad Sasha gave him some time and guidance. Out of this hopefully isolated situation, that's pretty much all bases covered really. People do make mistakes, and this is something Sammy can learn from and educate others on.

As others have said - if it's not isolated and there are other things that come out then certainly you'd need to look at it very differently.

As disgusting as his comments were it seems pretty clear that he was using hyperbole for (failed) comedic effect. I’m glad AEW have taken appropriate action but I’d be very surprised if he was sacked over what basically amounts to a bad joke of all things.

Think the sex god name and hit me up mobile need parked for a while if not forever when he’s back after that comment.