The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It wasn't a bad episode or anything, but I didn't connect with much this week. I liked FTR, and it reminded me how much I liked them as a team back in NXT. Everything was fine, but I just wasn't feeling it this week.

I'm not sure the Cody open challenge thing is working. Sure, he's making people look good, but I don't believe for a second that he's losing it. They need to do some build for the matches for it to work, I think. Otherwise, it's just the showcase of the week.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure the Cody open challenge thing is working. Sure, he's making people look good, but I don't believe for a second that he's losing it. They need to do some build for the matches for it to work, I think. Otherwise, it's just the showcase of the week.

It's very much "John Cena US Title Open Challenge" and suffers for exactly the reasons you outline. Yes, it is an out to keep Cody away from the main title. Yes defending the title is important. Yes the matches are passable and help elevate some lower talent. Is he losing the title on the weekly TV show? Absolutely not. Is it adding any character development to anyone? No.

It's all just filler.

If people come out of the matches looking better then job done really.

I'm fine with predictable title defences on the TV shows as long as the matches deliver and wrestlers are elevated. The occasional title switch on free TV is fine but not something I want to see become a regular occurrence.

17 hours ago, Chris B said:

Yeah I totally agree. I switched off during Cody/Quen and I honestly couldn’t say whether or not the match was any good.

Hager challenging for the title at Fyter Fest makes any TNT title matches before then feel even more pointless. 

Edited by RedRooster

4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Hager challenging for the title at Fyter Fest makes any TNT title matches before then feel even more pointless. 

That was the case when Cena was doing it on TV every week when he already had a PPV opponent lined up as well. Of course, the novelty there was still megastar John Cena having competitive matches with the Velocity lads. But generally, I don't think there's an issue with the logic behind these matches Cody is having - we have seen occasions where PPV matches get changed, or made non-title, based on title changes that happen on TV in the build-up. But even if the outcomes are predictable, they provide a backdrop for interference/commentary/post-match attacks etc to further his main feud. And if they raise the stock of the lower card guys a bit, they're achieving something.

The hints of Heelishness that Cody has shown the last couple of episodes: attacking the injured ankle, leg attack on the post, gun-show pose will Quen was down this week- interested to see where it leads to. 

The FTR debut was fine for a first run out, Young Bucks can get fucked though. Someone mentioned it on Twitter, but I can’t get Butcher & The Blade to the theme of Pinky & The Brain out of my head.

They’re Butcher & The Blade, they’re Butcher & The Blade, one was in Impact!, the others in a band.

They’re really not that funny, they used to have a Bunny, they’re Butcher, they’re Butcher & The Blade Blade Blade Blade, Blade Blade Blade Blade...

Edited by WyattSheepMask

11 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

That was the case when Cena was doing it on TV every week when he already had a PPV opponent lined up as well. Of course, the novelty there was still megastar John Cena having competitive matches with the Velocity lads. But generally, I don't think there's an issue with the logic behind these matches Cody is having - we have seen occasions where PPV matches get changed, or made non-title, based on title changes that happen on TV in the build-up. But even if the outcomes are predictable, they provide a backdrop for interference/commentary/post-match attacks etc to further his main feud. And if they raise the stock of the lower card guys a bit, they're achieving something.

The difference for me is, I think, is in something you mentioned. There was a novelty in seeing Cena work with opponents you wouldn’t normally have seen him face and really make these people look good.

That novelty doesn’t really exist with Cody because he already worked with a diverse range of opponents and all of his matches are presented as competitive. So what we’re seeing isn’t different enough to be exciting, for me at least.

The other reason I don’t get much from this is that while Cody is indisputably one of AEW’s best characters, no one can ever accuse him of being their best in ring performer. He’s perfectly acceptable in ring and can absolutely have great matches with the right opponent and build up. But they don’t happen often enough for me to feel excited about watching a Cody match each week.

I’m obviously only trying to explain why it’s not working for me, I completely accept that there will be people out there who are really enjoying this and power to them.

Edited by RedRooster

16 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Yeah I totally agree. I switched off during Cody/Quen and I honestly couldn’t say whether or not the match was any good.

They have done the same with the tag titles. QT and Dustin getting a shot next week. If a title match is set, shouldn’t be any others before it for me

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Louch said:

They have done the same with the tag titles. QT and Dustin getting a shot next week. If a title match is set, shouldn’t be any others before it for me

I don't agree with that, depending on how it's done. One of my favourite memories of my first year of being a wrestling fan was the Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels match being booked as a regular match, and by the time of it actually happening, being the IC champion vs the World champion.

I don't think Cody's challenge is working two weeks in, but I don't think they need to make major changes to get to a point where it works.

54 minutes ago, Louch said:

They kind of got round that by saying that Best Friends will face the champions whoever they are, but they’ve got the benefit of having put them in that slot a couple of weeks ago whereas Cody/Hager hasn’t been given time to breathe with it closing the most recent episode. Obviously they’re not putting the belts on Dustin & QT, but the way it’s been presented gives the impression they could, whereas Cody’s upcoming defences are going to be pretty meaningless because Hager seems focused on taking the title from Cody as opposed to wanting the title outright 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The other reason I don’t get much from this is that while Cody is indisputably one of AEW’s best characters, no one can ever accuse him of being their best in ring performer.

He Tweeted something about that's why he's doing it, because he's not highly thought of enough as a wrestler and he wants to change that perception. This is his version of Triple H giving himself long WrestleMania main events to prove he can do the big, show-closing epic.

• Paid Members

I don't even agree with Codys 'people don't rate me bell-to-bell' stuff anyway. He had the best match of 2019 for fucks sake. My problem with him is how he can go from super likeable, full of heart babyface one week to smug heelish prick the next week.

Speaking of smug pricks, Matt Jackson is one of the most unlikeable babyfaces I can remember in a long time. His promo this week left me wanting to see him get thumped.