The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I really enjoyed that show, and as @Mr.Showtime said, Britt Baker’s rehab session was brilliant. Like Adam Page, I’d totally written her off as bland and over-pushed. And like with Adam Page, I was completely and totally wrong.

One exciting thing about AEW that we very rarely get in WWE is watching people ‘find’ their characters and subsequently shine. 

I’m also really enjoying Colt Cabana in AEW. His promos are believable, and he’s far more enjoyable to watch in ring than I ever expected he would be.

One thing I didn’t enjoy was JR lusting over Penelope Ford. It’s creepy as fuck. I wish someone would tell him to cut that kind of comment out. 

Edited by RedRooster

Talk is Jericho with Suge D is a cracking listen. They talk over the match length and how it made sense, and Jericho firing loads of merch and photo ideas to Suge to capitalise on what happened 

• Paid Members

Mike Tyson and Chris Jericho potentially garnering mainstream sports attention and giving the rub to Orange Cassidy is not something I expected in 2020. And yet, it's the best idea of all time.

• Paid Members

That's one thing I'm really liking in AEW - how many people are interacting in an organic way. It makes it feel like more matches have meaning, because you can go back to them at any point.

Orange Cassidy is now feuding with Jericho and Hager (who I have to admit is hitting comedy points better than I expected), and we got some interaction between P&P and Best Friends. But Cassidy will also be able to pick back up his feud with Rey Fenix when he returns, and Jericho is setting up with Tyson while having a mini-feud with Colt Cabana who is being set up with the Dark Order. Just with Best Friends and the Inner Circle, we've got the option for, what - 3 or 4 separate matches in there? 

FTR are feuding with the Bucks, but have a heated feud with Butcher and Blade first. All in two weeks.

Jungle Boy set up against Cody, but also continued his feud with MJF (which I expect to be their Rock/HHH in terms of both feuding forever while going up the card), while Luchasaurus and Wardlow has been built recently, and Luchasaurus has been having big-man spots against everyone recently, so any of them can be picked up. And seeds have been planted for an MJF/Wardlow breakup, and this is all while MJF is feuding with Cody, who's been feuding with Lance Archer.

It's like this with almost everyone, and it's great - it's giving everyone a reason to interact and build a mini-feud easily, but with almost all of them having some history. 

Also, it was a really smart move to shelve the Matt Jackson/Hangman stuff for the time being. They needed the feel-good stuff, and it made sense in storyline - they've all been separated and realised they needed each other. But the issues aren't resolved, so they can be kicked off again at any point.

Is "injured in a wheelchair" the most underrated gimmick of all time? I know TNA vibes and all that but Britt's reminding me of how great Flair was. She's taken this injury and made herself into even more of a total prick heel, she's lightyears ahead of MJF right now.

Oh and I just remembered Vickie's stint in one, funny as she's constantly in the wrestler crowds now.

Edited by Merzbow

Probably the best empty arena show yet. Nice easy format, loved all the fun, snappy skits and interviews that moved things along, all sandwiched between two big matches. Britt Baker and Sammy Guevara continue to be absolute darlings. Taz delivering fire cracker promos and Orange Cassidy being the baddest man on the planet.

Another misfire for Cody, though. Starting to think he needs a Dustin/Jericho/Aldis type to reign his stupid shit in. I mean, what was the point of that table bump he sold for all of 5 seconds?

Minor Thing but I'd like Cage to wear Black and Orange to homage Taz, also loving Taz as a mouthpiece he's a solid talker.

Still not a fan of Cody, everything he does just seems too much and over the top, I get selling the importantance is good but not everything he does is "that big", sometimes match is match. Probably just me.

Inner Circle are delightful and always deliver something

Edited by The Cutting Edge
Add more thoughts

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Minor Thing but I'd like Cage to wear Black and Orange to homage Taz, also loving Taz as a mouthpiece he's a solid talker.

Still not a fan of Cody, everything he does just seems too much and over the top, I get selling the importantance is good but not everything he does is "that big", sometimes match is match. Probably just me.

Inner Circle are delightful and always deliver something

I've been very impressed with Taz so far as well. Really nailed the promos so far.